Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM
squirrly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert, nice work. The plane is beginning to show it's size. Petty cool how you can turn a stack of wood into something that amazing and will fly. By the way the holidays are sneaking up on us. I hope your able to keep up the work.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM
stevegauth30

That thing takes up some serious real estate in your shop Robert. Looking better all the time ( that is, when you have any time for it.) I'm sorry, I certainly didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just making an observation. Now back to the BIG pitts.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Robert, I like your attention to detail.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Vasek, I must admit I have thought of adding gyros to some of my more squirrelly aircraft to give me time to adjust to them before removing the gyro. Oh, and if you don't mind my asking, what's a Canadian doing in the Czech Republic?
It's a very long story, I was born here, moved to Canada to seek political refuge when the russians invaded my country (1968) when I was very young (with my family) & basicaly returned to marry a Czech. Personal circumstances precipitated this decision. I was a little naive about the "Eastern block" social reality even 20 years after it's downfall. Cheers,V.

Last edited by vasek; 10-21-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ply pieces for the wing mounts are in place. Now to make the brass wing mounts.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

I really like the way this puzzle is fitting! Your shop is about to get a lot smaller in short order Robert...
Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I have seen some of the Czech women, very beautiful, I don't blame you for going back to get married!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 AM
acerc

Thanks Vincent and your absolutely right, much smaller.
It's not much but the brass mounts have been cut and drilled for attaching to wing. When the epoxy is done anyways. They are not finished and won't be until I can mount the cabane up to it for precise marking of the cabane bolts to pass through. Then it will get drilled and shaped. This bracket not only holds the wing to the cabane but also holds flying wire's.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM
squirrly

Robert, after seeing your last pic of the wings pieced together I was wandering where the strength would come from because they didn't look as strong as I would expect. So the added strength are in the cabanes and cable wires right?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM
acerc

Squirrly,
The upper wing is attached via the cabane to the fuse, and the struts to the lower wing. The lower wing bolt's to the fuse with a wing tube through the middle and a rotation dowel. I don't think strength is an issue, but the flying wires add more to it. The wires are functional as well. All that being said, is why I wanted a trailer big enough to not have to disassemble this monster.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM
acerc

I am attaching the wing mount plate with threaded inserts. For those that don't know it, they are not meant for hardwood and the insertion lugs will break off. Unless one finds a way to alleviate the load on the lugs. Here is how I install them into hardwood, in this case ply. Pic #1 I make a dimple. Pic #2 Using a hardwood block as a guide, holding firmly in place with the bit in the dimple, drill thru the hardwood. Pic #3 is how to insert and keep alignment. I use a socket head bolt, in this case 6-32, and nut. Screw the bolt, with the nut, through the insert with enough out the other to guide it into the hole straight. Tighten the nut to the insert and it's ready to install. Almost forgot, I drilled two holes, the first the diameter of the bolt And the second the diameter required for the insert but only deep enough for the insert. Pic#4 screw in until the nut is flush, insert installed, holding the bolt turn the nut 1/4 turn and remove bolt. Pic#5 perfect inserts into hardwood without broke lugs. I also added polyurethane liquid glue to the inserts.

Last edited by acerc; 10-22-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 AM
acerc

Now that that is done I can sheet the center section of the wing.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM
squirrly

Originally Posted by acerc
Squirrly,
The upper wing is attached via the cabane to the fuse, and the struts to the lower wing. The lower wing bolt's to the fuse with a wing tube through the middle and a rotation dowel. I don't think strength is an issue, but the flying wires add more to it. The wires are functional as well. All that being said, is why I wanted a trailer big enough to not have to disassemble this monster.
Good to know. I think it's an incredible aerobatic plane. I can understand why you got the trailer. I have a 37.5% Edge 540 that I squeeze into my Nissan Pathfinder. Remove wings( of course ) elevators and part of the back seat of the suv. What a fit...
Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM
acerc

The sheeting has been done and the wing pinned to the struts. Tomorrow I can make and fit the cabane.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet! That's a good idea on the inserts. I had a bit of a time getting mine to go in straight on the Cub cowl mounts. I'll have to see if I can remember that the next time I do it.

Take care,
David
Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM
acerc

Thanks David. Spent the evening laying out the electronics. Using a power expander with dual batteries plus a separate battery for ignition takes more room than usual. But with the size of this bird it is no problem. Also using an engine kill that only connects to the receiver via a fiber optic cable, real nice set up. The telemetry is going to be a nice (extra) feature I think. But I have decided at least for now I am not going to install the Guardian (pilot assist), I have been reading of late people having problems with it.

Last edited by acerc; 10-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 PM
whiskykid

looking good ACE! I have been lurking keeping quit!

since I came here too peek on your build, I ended up rejoining, as I think I did years ago then forgot my log in, but I found a home for my 50cc for now, a guy here had a 27% extra same as I crashed, so had too rejoin so I could get ahold of the guy and buy it!

so it is kinda your fault, as I wouldn't have been frequenting this place, if not for your build!

anyway looking good!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 PM
vasek

But I have decided at least for now I am not going to install the Guardian (pilot assist), I have been reading of late people having problems with it.
David, I was planning of using the Guardian in my upgraded Pitts also and I wasn't aware there is a problem with it. Can you pls post a link to the thread in question (if there is one). It seems I can't use the new RCU search properly and I'm not finding relevant threads.

Thanks, Vasek
Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Nice Job Robert. I liked your tutorial on the inserts, very helpful. Keep it up you'll be covering in no time!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 AM
acerc

Welcome back Whisky and no need for lurking.
Vasek there is no one thread, just several people in different places mentioning the same issue. That is enough to give me pause. I have emailed Eagle tree regarding my concern of such said issues, we'll see what they have to say.
Thanks Vincent, looking to cover in January.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 AM
acerc

The power expander, receiver, and three batteries have been installed. I guess it's time to work on the cabane.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:13 AM
vasek

Thanks for the info Robert, please post here what Eagle Tree will respond to your enquiery, I was really getting my hopes up for this product as I am not the greatest of pilots...
Cheers, V.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 AM
acerc

Will do Vasek. From what I have read it might be more of a user program issue than a fault of the device. But with a 8K dollar model I am not willing to risk it with something that is not a necessity. I do like what if offers and think it would be a cool feature but "cool" is not worth the risk, if there is any.
Also for your viewing pleasure, here is a link to Eagletree's support forum http://www.rcgroups.com/eagle-tree-systems-443/ enjoy.

Last edited by acerc; 10-23-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Robert, your pictures are forcing me to break out the drooling towel to save my keyboard! Great job can't wait to see her finished!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 AM
acerc

I keep having to pinch myself, as this is far beyond anything I have built for myself. I drooled over it to start with but had to quit, the wood could not take the moisture and was warping.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

I keep having to pinch myself, as this is far beyond anything I have built for myself. I drooled over it to start with but had to quit, the wood could not take the moisture and was warping.
Try one of those feeding bibs with the cup at the bottom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.