Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Anyone getting fed up with this hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:23 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arup
i agree with you wholeheartedly, vg, except that i'm in this hobby for my own selfish interests pure and simple. I don't care what anybody thinks of my airplanes and i don't build them to please anyone but me...me... Me! I'm all about edwardian, wwi, some civilian and especially golden age racing planes. I'm sick to death of stupid 'hover' 3-d airplanes (get a helicopter), quad-octo doofus things and p-51's. I may just get hate mail but see if i care!
rotflmao!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Gentleman,
I strongly suggest those that are getting angry about issue to put their anger in check in a huge hurry, otherwise they are going find their posts removed. If you can't discuss the subject at hand without getting angry, or insulting other people, then I suggest you refrain from posting in this thread. Because it's not going to be allowed here. Post in a civil manner or your posts are going to go away, the choice is yours to make.

Ken
give'm Hell ken and that's not swearing... it's in the bible countless times
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARUP, Love the attitude. My wife tells me how self centered I am. For our club, the new and exciting area was not just Warbirds ( mostly WW-2 focus past 8 years ) but especially WW-1 birds past 2 years. They are small, 1/4 or 1/3 scale and very low stress.

You need to check out our Mid-Atlantic Dawn Patrol Oct 3-6. Virginia Beach. Http://www.flytrc.com

Last year I met 20 guys from all over this great country (Ohio, Texas, Georga, Penn, NJ, NY, north Carolina, and west. Va) who just love to fly or talk about airplanes. It really added enthusiasm back into our club.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM
abufletcher

Field maintenance, Japanese style. First, there's the "club meeting" with just the usual suspects standing around for a few minutes. No gavels, no calling things to order, no minutes. Then virtually everyone jumps to it, doing what they can, even the guys in the wheelchairs. To mow the strip the guys line up in relay-like teams and took turns running the lawn-mover up and down. You almost had to fight to get your turn. Then when it was all done everyone sat down to enjoy some well-deserved, ice-cold green tea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	field mowing.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	1918567   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-meeting.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	1918568   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-mowing.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	1918569   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-mowing.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	1918570   Click image for larger version

Name:	14-after.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1918571   Click image for larger version

Name:	15-cool drinks.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	1918572  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM
henschel
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in agreement with the older guy. Been scratch building and building kits for 40+ years. Got tired of the same old arf's at flying field. I got out of building planes about a year ago and got into gas boats and nitro choppers. About 2 years ago I asked the lord what plane he wanted me to scratch build as the grand finale. This is what he told me to build. B-58 is heading to Dallas Texas in about 2 weeks and will be for sale at Mike's Hobbies in Carrollton, Tx
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1918573  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM
abufletcher

Good call.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:36 PM
jetmaven

ARF's offer little or no skin in the game other than writing a check . It makes for transient interest in the hobby and no club should bank on their continued membership of their owners .
My club is made up of about 100 members , 20% are alleged " junior" members that get a free ride and once their foamy takes a dump , they're never to be seen again . Another 50% will buy and fly whatever ARF is on special and the balance may actually be able to glue a few sticks together. At best , maybe 5-10% of those are willing and able to build something from a kit or, God forbid , a set of plans .
Old 09-09-2013, 05:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by henschel
I am in agreement with the older guy. Been scratch building and building kits for 40+ years. Got tired of the same old arf's at flying field. I got out of building planes about a year ago and got into gas boats and nitro choppers. About 2 years ago I asked the lord what plane he wanted me to scratch build as the grand finale. This is what he told me to build. B-58 is heading to Dallas Texas in about 2 weeks and will be for sale at Mike's Hobbies in Carrollton, Tx

That is a great project and it looks to have come out very nice. It is always great to see something not often modeled. Great job!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

It is what you make it!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM
cherokeenut
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all, thought I'd post my .02 about getting out of the hobby. As some saw I had a garage sale for my planes this last weekend, and suprisingly sold quite a few. I'm stepping back from the hobby purely because of two reasons. One, my business is booming and if I want it to move forward to the level I desire then I need to set aside my hobby and get single minded about what I want, you just can't have multiple goals and achieve them with great success. Second, I was becoming obsessed with having to get the newest "find" on Graigs or other forums, my garage was busting with planes I'd never really probably ever fly, it became downright depressing. After the sale I am amazed at how much better I feel, and after making the decision to put flying where it belongs (as a hobby instead of an obsession) I find that my focus on what's important has only gotten clearer. Sorry if I've offered no support to the obsessed flyers, but after all they are only toys.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 PM
abufletcher

There's a lot of truth in that. A lot of truth.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

With the hobby, no. With the people in it, yes, it can be very challenging at times. Based on my own experience (17 years in the hobby) what you describe seems common in most clubs today. What I mean by that is that for any given club size 20-25% of the members are actively flying. 10-20% go to the meetings, and 10-15% actually care about the club. Getting anyone to volunteer to do anything is nearly impossible, even simple tasks that may only take a few minutes to a few hours.

Sure people have a lot going on their lives today. Family and work aren't what the used to be. There are no easy answers. Does anyone remember roller rinks and bowling alleys? Sure they're still around, but it seems like they're getting harder and harder to come by. I wish there was an easy answer, but no one solution will work for everyone.

What I really wish is that the AMA would provide club officers with better guidance running and administering a club. Running a successful club is no easy task. It requires people skills, communication skills, planning and coordination skills, compassion, understanding, delegation, and good listening skills. These skills take years to hone and master.

The best and worst thing abut this hobby is clubs.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM
abufletcher

Ten years ago when I first got into RC flying, I attended meetings for two different clubs. The first group didn't seem to have much going for it at all. The second meeting (held in a senior citizen center) was for a much larger, and better known, club, but both my son and I were completely turned off by the procedural formality. When I asked I was told that before we could start learning to fly, we'd have to go through a two month "ground school."

The very next weekend, my son and I took our ARF trainer and our AMA cards to another club's field and within half and hour of arriving we were being given our first (buddy box) flying lessons. That was the club we joined. The field wasn't much more than a patch of graded dirt, but it was all we needed.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd probably quit model flying if I had to drink cold tea ... out of a bottle!

That aside, the only problems I ever encounter, begin and end with people.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
...That aside, the only problems I ever encounter, begin and end with people.
I've had my fair share of problems with engines also. And that's cold (unsweetened, of course) GREEN tea!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
I'd probably quit model flying if I had to drink cold tea ... out of a bottle!

That aside, the only problems I ever encounter, begin and end with people.
True in any aspect of life...

as for RC...

1. Enjoy this hobby your way.
2. Let others enjoy this hobby their way
3. Don't criticise others for doing things differently.
4. Offer advice constructively or not at all..

Wouldn't that be great!.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Tarasdad

Where I live we have three clubs within 45 minutes of each other. I visited all three before joining one, as is my preference. I like to meet folks at the field, get a feel for how they mesh in our "natural habitat" so to speak. One I never saw anyone at to talk to. The second is what you might call the "top dog" among the area clubs, but every time I went there to visit I was ignored at best, given looks that made me feel like an intruder and very much unwelcome at worst. At the third club I was greeted with handshakes and smiles and invited to come out and fly with them and attend their next club meeting. Take a wild guess which one I ended up joining. I'll give you a hint, It's the smallest of the three and the one that doesn't have a permanent field - yet. We do require AMA to fly as that's a requirement to be able to use the city property we fly from. I don't expect it to change when we do finally find a permanent site though, and I personally would vote against any such change were it proposed.

We're fortunate in that everyone gets along. I think that's one of the benefits of a small club like ours. Basically you just can't afford the antagonism and elitism that seems to be an inevitable part of really large clubs. Sure, we have some of the same issues, such as a few doing the majority of the work, but that's pretty much the norm from what I've seen. And hey, us old farts have earned those Grumpy Old Fogey stripes! BUT...we can always learn from others, even the younger generations, as they can learn from the older.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:03 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abufletcher
And that's cold (unsweetened, of course) GREEN tea!

In that case, I'd have to both quit the hobby and top myself!

It's the only honourable response.

Last edited by bogbeagle; 09-10-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Going on 71 years old and have been in the hobby since 8 years old. Now you have me wondering, what are the other options ? LOL
Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Here I'll make it easy, This hobby is supposed to be fun for YOU! If your unhappy with your club,leave it! try another or start your own! My club fits my needs and is run like a golf course, No silly meetings,politics or over bearing safety officers. just follow common sense & the AMA safety rules, basic field rules and enjoy! you get a combo to the airfield gate, come as you please anytime. you crash it, do the dreaded walk of shame and collect your balsa wood and close the gate. I LOVE IT! We have one club cookout a year, bring your family/friends and come as you are. Our club has about 45-55 members.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by Tarasdad
Where I live we have three clubs within 45 minutes of each other. I visited all three before joining one, as is my preference. I like to meet folks at the field, get a feel for how they mesh in our "natural habitat" so to speak. One I never saw anyone at to talk to. The second is what you might call the "top dog" among the area clubs, but every time I went there to visit I was ignored at best, given looks that made me feel like an intruder and very much unwelcome at worst. At the third club I was greeted with handshakes and smiles and invited to come out and fly with them and attend their next club meeting. Take a wild guess which one I ended up joining. I'll give you a hint, It's the smallest of the three and the one that doesn't have a permanent field - yet. We do require AMA to fly as that's a requirement to be able to use the city property we fly from. I don't expect it to change when we do finally find a permanent site though, and I personally would vote against any such change were it proposed.

We're fortunate in that everyone gets along. I think that's one of the benefits of a small club like ours. Basically you just can't afford the antagonism and elitism that seems to be an inevitable part of really large clubs. Sure, we have some of the same issues, such as a few doing the majority of the work, but that's pretty much the norm from what I've seen. And hey, us old farts have earned those Grumpy Old Fogey stripes! BUT...we can always learn from others, even the younger generations, as they can learn from the older.
Ever notice how the best run groups have few rules, yet follow the golden rule? When folks spend more time making rules than there are people to follow the rules you certainly will have issues. Isn't it all about power and ego with the power hungry?

I am glad you found a nice place to attend. To me, it is not the age of the person but the attitude that is the problem. There are jerks young and old. Too many power hungry cheifs will always cause problems.

I am in two clubs and the one that is the best is the smallest club with the fewest rules. Not surprising either and that pretty much follows the pattern. I do find that in the larger club the older guys do little to help and more things that cause issues. If I paid any mind to the silliness my degree of fun would certainly be dwindled. I enjoy myself and let that stuff slide into oblivion.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

+1 On small clubs. I've been a member of both large (160+ member) and small (30-40 member) clubs and I find the smaller clubs much more enjoyable.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 AM
koastrc

All have some pretty good points. The Hobby, the sport, the clubs, the AMA all appear to have some short comings. Why? This club does this, that club does that, we have this problem, they have that problem. I also belong to two clubs. One it appears, is always in a struggle to survive and the other has Everything. The one that has everything has it all. I mean all. Powered stalls, air conditioned club house, great runway, and a clean restroom. The works. It has everything but happy people. There is this never ending line of bull. Dues are low and the place is great. All the things many have said they would love to have. Yes it is a great place. The trouble with this club is about the same as the rest of the clubs. There is people that have no clue how to be HAPPY.
One other thing. The membership is down. The flying site is great, Some of the attitudes are not that great. A new bunch will take over. Correct some of the problems. Membership will go up, again, and the cycle will start all over.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by koastrc
All have some pretty good points. The Hobby, the sport, the clubs, the AMA all appear to have some short comings. Why? This club does this, that club does that, we have this problem, they have that problem. I also belong to two clubs. One it appears, is always in a struggle to survive and the other has Everything. The one that has everything has it all. I mean all. Powered stalls, air conditioned club house, great runway, and a clean restroom. The works. It has everything but happy people. There is this never ending line of bull. Dues are low and the place is great. All the things many have said they would love to have. Yes it is a great place. The trouble with this club is about the same as the rest of the clubs. There is people that have no clue how to be HAPPY.
One other thing. The membership is down. The flying site is great, Some of the attitudes are not that great. A new bunch will take over. Correct some of the problems. Membership will go up, again, and the cycle will start all over.
It all boils down to people. People make things happen. Those impressive facilities didn't happen by accident and they didn't happen without a lot of effort by some visionary people who took the time to pave the way and make it happen. Not all new members/officers have the same visionary or leadership skills and things change. Not intentionally, but not everyone has the same skills.

Sometimes people never appreciate what they have until it's gone. I don't know any clubs in area with those kinds of facilities.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by koastrc
[SNIP]The trouble with this club is about the same as the rest of the clubs. There is people that have no clue how to be HAPPY.
Hey Jerry, is this my internet RC buddy from Biloxi? If clubs were made up from guys of your caliber they would all be bursting at the seams with happy members. As far as those with no clue as to how to be happy, it seems it is their goal in life to make sure others as unhappy as possible. Regardless, we have to just hang in there and keep smiling (it drives them nuts). My club is suffering the same as others seem to be. The movers and shakers that built the clubs have difficulty in moving much anymore not to mention the shaking. The greatest generation is gradually dying off so I wish the "now" generation the best of luck. They will probably never know the joys and camaraderie we experienced in our club environment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.