Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

DC-3 Kit from late 60's ??? Anyone know this plane???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

DC-3 Kit from late 60's ??? Anyone know this plane???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 06:51 PM
JAkridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC-3 Kit from late 60's ??? Anyone know this plane???

I built a DC-3 wood kit plane in the late 60's to early 70's and would love to have this plane back again. I was given this plane as a gift from parents around the years above, it was all ply and very good quality wood, had great aluminum cowlings, fixed or you could setup for retracts (as I recall) had a wing span of approx. 4'-5'. I built the complete kit to stick form and never completed it. I was to young at the time, But would love to find this kit again.
Does any one have knowlage on a plane from these years and know who made it?? Back into Planes 30 years later and now have time and $$$ to complete.
Thanks for any Help..
JWA
Old 09-30-2002, 09:08 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a Royal kit. They were around in the 70's. Although at 5 feet span and made of plywood, it just doesn't sound right so I'm probably wrong.

Royal imported the Maratake line from Japan and re-named the boxes to Royal.

You can still get the Maratake kits right here:
http://www.hobbybarn.com/airplanes_marutaka_kits.htm

C-47 Skytrain - 1/14 Scale - 83" W.S. - Eng. .25 0 .40 X 2 2 Cycle, .35 - .40 X 2 4 Cycle - 4 - 6 Channel
Old 10-01-2002, 01:02 AM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Unless you're really hung up on having the exact kit back, I'd reccomend the TF DC-3 as an alternate. Robart even makes the scale retracts for it which fit like a glove. I think the TF kit is a little bigger.
Randy
Old 10-01-2002, 02:38 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

JWA, the aluminum cowls do indeed seem to indicate a Royal/Marutaka kit but the span is about 6 feet on those kits and they are balsa and ply construction.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:07 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

The only kit I remember like that from that time was a U/C kit from japan and not a Royal kit. I had one and it was about that wing span and all lite ply, but mine was a nightmare, just can't remember the name even though the box is tucked away somewhere. I know that thet weren't around to long and probably close to impossible to find, but I did save the landing gear as they were very nicely done.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:33 AM
igoren
My Feedback: (23)

Default dc-3

i may have what you want.
i bought mine few years ago at apolo fild .
it may be the same one you sold and ended in my hands.
it is 90% bult, i never got around to finish it.
i dont have the retracts, or the aluminum cowls.
i do have set of plans for stend of scale.
if you interested and you in los angeles you can come over the weekend and take a look.
e mail me and fh # and we talk.
[email protected]
Old 10-02-2002, 12:46 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Default Art........

From what I read, the descriptions sound like the old Eureka kits. They were full of plywood and mahogany parts, plus they had a good amount of hardware inside the box. The Eureka line began in the early 1950's.

They were usually set up for controlline, but I have seen them re-labeled and noted for free-flight, radio and control line. Same kit inside, just new labels.

Eureka stopped advertising about the early to late 1960's, but they same innards to a kit was put out under private labels. I keep thinking Polk's or A.H.C. had some in their labels.

They weren't too good of flyers, but neither were all in the Royal line either.

Wm.