Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Lancaster Bomber >

Lancaster Bomber

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Lancaster Bomber

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lancaster Bomber

Wow, way more clean up than I would have guessed. Interesting amount of... for the lack of better word... accumulative trash inside of the wing. Reminds me of the floor in an artist's studio after a large format project. Residue of whatever, eerywhere ; ). It appears you can see back inside the nacelle a ways to be able to assure the nacelles are not held on like the landing gear... Good luck with your test bed.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM

How to fix Warped built-up wings.

I opened up access hatches on the lower surface of the wing, to my surprise there are no continuing control rods going through whole left wing!. Plus left outer wing tip area has quite a bit of warp in it. I can see it easily as washout is huge on left side compared to right side.

As mention earlier that i am going to add servos in the wings for flaps and aileron and will be getting rid of old bell crank system.

Now what can i do to fix the warp?, can i takeoff all the skin sheeting from top and bottom and give spruce spars hot steam bath to soften the spars and then take out the warp.

or

Can i give stream bath to whole outer wing as is and try to fix the warp in this current state?

Left outer nacelle doesn't look good internally!, it looks as original builder or some other owner broke it off and fixed it by building it up with thick balsa sheets by laminating them together to make the nacelle up!.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

With a fully sheeted built up wing you will not fix it with a steam bath. The top skin would be the best to take off due to the nacelles. Once you have the skin off the wing will probably be quite easy to twist. Pin it down to a building board so it matches the other wing then glue the sheeting back on. You will probably have to trim it to fit back on but once fitted the wing will be rigid again.

It's probably worth having some washout in the wingtips if you are twisting & regluing the wing/wings. - John.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 AM

Hey John,

Here is the what i am talking about....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47339.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	992770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52176.jpg
Views:	12