Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

GTM Hanriot Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

GTM Hanriot Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:39 PM
V2PLUS10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GTM Hanriot Build

Is this the last part to go on?? I think there may be at least one more.....This is the "camera door", but I'm pretty sure that this is where they kept the whiskey and milk, all that castor you know....I had a picture of the hole I cut in the fabric but I managed to delete it. Once you start poking at the fabric with an x-acto knife there is just no going back. At first the door was wood, and I was just going to stick it on. But that did not look right so I made not only one but eventually three doors from litho plate. The one you see is the third of course, and it looks to be just the right size. the first pic is of the underlying frame , then the door, and finally the result...You will notice that the original pic of the frame and the final result do not match....I rebuilt and re-located the frame at least twice...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42293.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	468337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13935.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	468338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28740.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	468339  
Old 05-29-2006, 10:22 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Randy, it looks like you finally got it just right.. Excellent!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:56 PM
V2PLUS10

The First Flight went off without a hitch...a couple of clicks of right aileron and rudder and it flew just as nice as you could want.....The 160 is plenty powerful and 1/2 throttle is all that is needed for cruise...I only opened the throttle completely once and that was just to see what would happen, only used partial throttle on the takeoff . Ground handling is great, the airplane has no bad habits..I made a little hop on the first landing 'cause it was a little too fast, but I'll get the hang of it!!!!

Name:	Yw67936.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	470642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76428.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	470643   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26603.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	470644  
Old 06-02-2006, 07:34 PM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Congrads Randy............[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Looks great, you did one heck of a job.

Del
Old 06-02-2006, 07:41 PM
V2PLUS10

Thanks Del,

I could not be more pleased with the outcome....an excellent kit to build and a great flying model..!!! Glenn is going to try to make a short clip from the video we took and will post it on his web site....

Randy
Old 06-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Reg Hinnant
My Feedback: (9)

Wow Randy,
What a great build thread with a fantastic ending!
You really did yourself proud. I'm happy for you!
Cheers,
Reg
Old 06-03-2006, 08:57 PM
V2PLUS10

Hey, Reg,

The build was great fun and very fulfilling, for the most part! Posting the progress and knowing all of you folks were out there "watching" as it were, kept me on the straight and narrow...This kit and the resulting model has surely exceeded all my expectations. I don't know if I will build anything else soon, but if something comes up I will post it for sure. I'd like to build a triplane, but I fear that rib stitching three wings (twelve panels!!) might just put a stop to the whole project....but we'll see.

I'll let you know how the Scale Masters Qualifier goes......oh, and I will scuff up those wheel rims!!!

Randy
Old 06-03-2006, 10:25 PM
BobH

Randy, a heart felt congratulations!! I'm really pleased that your plane flies so wonderful. You deserve all the credit for a great job..!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:36 AM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Good Morning Randy,
Just cought your flight video on Glenn's web site http://www.flygtm.com/ It looks great in the air and looks to be a great flyer. Looks like that 160 twin handles it great with power to spare.
Best of luck in the Scale Masters Qualifier (I dought that you'll need any luck).
Later

Del
Old 06-04-2006, 01:39 PM
BobH

Randy, what's the all up weight of your plane? My SE5a is 17 lbs ballanced. grrrrrrrr!!!!!!! I have an OS 120 pumper and a 16x8 graupner prop. I ran the engine but haven't test flown it yet. My wing loading is about 20 oz per sq ft (using both wings in the calculation). It should be ok..?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 PM
V2PLUS10

Hi Bob,

A quick and not 100% accurate measurement of the Hanriot gives me about 21.5 oz per sq ft....86" top wing by 12" cord, and two 33" bottom panels with a 12"cord. I weigh something over 16 lbs but that is a bathroom scale measurement....one of these days I need to get a digital fish scale......The 120 ought to pull the SE-5a....Graupner props are very efficient, you ought to have plenty of thrust....just don't force it off the ground, let it fly when it's ready. The Hanriot gets off the grass fine at a little more than half throttle..

I have no idea about SE-5a ground handling. It might be a little fast in the air but then again you are very near sea level. I know there is a big investment in time and effort but once in the air they all fly under the same set of rules....

Randy
Old 06-04-2006, 04:24 PM
BobH

Randy, thanks. Over on RCSB I asked the same question and got the Thumbs up on the weight. So.. now I'm just gonna fly her and see how she does!
Oh btw I watched your vid.. super nice flying plane bro!!
Old 06-09-2006, 06:55 PM
V2PLUS10

I got the idea that one of those two wheeled ground handling dollies would be fun to have to tow the model around at contests. I had a distant picture of one from WWI Aero magazine, and Del who posts on this forum sent me an excellent close-up of one. I'm still not convinced that it will work, but it looks pretty neat....made from brass tubing of course. The first pic is after the drilling but before silver braze. There is a length of piano wire through the tube that serves as the axle for added strength...the shoe holding the skid swivels to allow turns to be made....

Name:	Om32300.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	474899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26639.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	474900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22737.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	474901  
Old 06-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Babblefish7

Congrats Randy

The final pics look great. Glad to see the madian flight had no problems. I love the dollie that you made for the skid.

Can you post or e-mail me some pic's of the flying wires? how you made them attach to the fuse and the control wire from the top elev to the bottom elev? Were the 3 or screw to remove the tail for transport part of the projet or did you add them in?

Thanks Mark P.
[email protected]
Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 PM
V2PLUS10

Thanks Mark,

I'll try to answer your questions.

The hinges on the rudder and elevator as provided in the kit use a 2-56 x 1/2 screw to hold them to the fin or stab. I replaced those screws with 2-56 x 1/2 hex head bolts from MicroFasteners.com but yes, the kit is designed with bolt-on hinges. I did solder the nuts to one side of the hinge just to make assembly a little easier. What I did to make the rudder more easily removable was to add a couple of little couplers for the rudder control cables, held on with cotter pins. The loop in the pull-pull cable hooks into this little fitting.

If you go back to page 7 in the build thread you will see how the flying wire clevis' are attached to the fuse. In the final assembly I wraped and pre-soldered loops in the ends of the flying wire cables, then pinned the cables into the clevis with brass rod and soldered the rod in place. The clevis ends are plated brass so the solder worked fine. I screwed the clevis' into place with ample amounts of lock-tite thread locker.

I think you must be asking about the aileron control cable. is that right? That will take a little more digging...

Randy

Name:	Hf98474.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	476701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22574.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	476702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17618.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	476703  
Old 06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
V2PLUS10

Tried out the two wheeled dolly today. I think it will work fine if I can come up with a handle that does not tilt the cart when pulled....it will have to be a pretty long handle..

Name:	Yw67539.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	478134  
Old 07-03-2006, 03:34 PM
V2PLUS10

Just thought everyone would like to know how the Qualifier turned out. The static score was 97.75 and in over all points I think I came out to 189.33. The engine sagged big time at about 4 feet right after takeoff on the third round..I brought the throttle back intending to put it down and hope for the best, but at about half she caught and I was just able to nurse it around for a downwind landing with no damage. I have the onboard glow on the gear switch so it is on until I turn it off...it would still only run at about half throttle though.. Our field is on a low bluff and many airplanes have dissappeared over the edge and met their fate...I was very lucky! I think the heat caused it to lean out a bit because about 4 clicks rich on the needle valve solved the problem. Only got a 25 for that round but I felt like I'd scored 100....

Here is a picture of the builder/pilot with the First Place Trophy....too bad the wheels are already off.....

Randy

Name:	Om33963.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	486414  
Old 07-03-2006, 06:21 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Congratulations, Randy!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Babblefish7

Great Job Randy!!![sm=thumbup.gif]
You need to get your wall and mantle ready for a bunch of trophies.
Will you be doing a thread for the next project? do you have your next picked out?

Mark
Old 07-09-2006, 02:21 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW and double WOW, Randy! What an inspiration! Maybe even enough to get me going on my Nieuport again! [:@]

Congrats on a stunning build (wonderfully documented) and your qualifying success! Best of luck in the next round.

PS. Since I've been gone Bob's finished his SE5a, you've finished your Hanriot, and it look like even Donnie's back on track with his Jenny. Oh, how the world turns.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:06 PM
BobH

Don, welcome back.. I hope you had a good time.. where ever it was you went lol..
Old 07-13-2006, 04:39 PM
V2PLUS10

Hi Don,

Yes, Welcome back!! I've noticed that you've been online from time to time, but your commentary and insight have been missing, and we are the poorer for it....!!

Thanks for your complement on the Hanriot build..I think your first post when I started the build thread was "now this is going to be good!!" and it was, thanks to everyones support and some really good luck! In fact, when I review the build I can hardly believe that I did all that.........

Randy
Old 09-22-2006, 03:55 PM
V2PLUS10

Just a little update....this is really about the Warbird Colors paint, and a little carelessness on my part.

I built a rig to hang the Hanriot from the ceiling, using PVC, rope, pulleys etc...looks a little like a midieval torture device...... Anyway, it works great and is very secure, but I managed to drop a drop of CA onto the center rib bay of the right wing while adding some CA to a knot, just to be sure it would not come loose....I was livid, but I got over it...

This is now a couple of months later and I decided to make repairs. I applied Z-7 debonder repeatedly to the area and managed to remove all the CA and a little paint, and further cleaning with alcohol removed a small area of paint as well. Well, just and hour or so ago I finished repainting the area and I think the results are excellent...the newly painted panel is just a bit more shiny than the surrounding area but in time I'm sure the blend will be perfect.

I've said it before but I'll say it again...I think that WarBird colors paint is the greatest!!

Randy

Name:	Rp42580.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	528414   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45728.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	528415  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
BobH

Randy. wheeew thats good news!! Glad it worked out for you ok. I plan on trying their paint on my P-47 when I get to that point..
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM
V2PLUS10

Took the Hanriot out last Monday just to fly it again before winter sets in. The trusty old OS-160 fired right up and everything looked great. I do several control checks before flight, and I took it up to about half throttle to do a check before taxi and the PCM RX went into fail-safe, and moving the tx sticks had no effect!! Not a comfortable feeling!The fail-safe was momentary, and I was able to duplicate it, but ONLY from one particular location near the airplane, and only with the engine running. It only happened with the tx antenna fully extended, with the model on the ground and the engine running, and me standing just in front of and off to the right side a bit, maybe 6 feet from the tx antenna to the rx antenna. The rx antenna is routed out the pilots cockpit step and out to the left stabilizer tip. I was holding the tx antenna parallel to the ground and pointed across the front of the model. We did a thorough range check afterwards with the tx antenna collapsed, and I walked a semi-circle around the model from about 100 feet out with no range problems at all. The only glitch was from close in from the one position. Now, I use a PCM partially because of the glitching that can occur with a WWI type model with all those flying wires. There will probably be glitches no matter what and the PCM masks the little ones but going into fail-safe is a little more serious--or is it?? If it weren't for the throttle being set to go to idle in fail-safe I probably would never know it had happened. Does this sound like a radio problem or just the PCM doing what it was designed to do, considering all the flying wires and the litho plate on this particular model? Do modern PCM radios "swamp" or get over loaded if the TX is too close? I use a JR 9303 tx and a JR R945S 10 channel dual conversion PCM rx...

Any comments or suggestions? Am I just jumping at shadows? I've installed a JR 9 channel PCM rx and may give it try tomorrow if the weather holds....

Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.