Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What is JR's 6th Key NATS Segment? Is it R/C Scale?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What is JR's 6th Key NATS Segment? Is it R/C Scale?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is JR's 6th Key NATS Segment? Is it R/C Scale?

So looking at the latest JR add in FLY RC; what was the 6th key Nats Segment they did not win? Was it R/C Scale? If they lost this mysterious 6th segment, then who's radio won it?

1. Unlimited Scale Aerobatics.
2. F3A Aerobatics.
3. F3C Helicopter.
4. Unlimited Sailplane.
5. Q40 Pylon.
6. ????

Leo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62293.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	338280  
Old 10-13-2005, 07:54 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is JR's 6th Key NATS Segment? Is it R/C Scale?

All I know is that I was one of the only winners in R/C Scale at the 2005 NATS that wasn't wearing an Orange and Black shirt, AKA "Punkins".

Team Futaba did pretty good this year. Not many Team JR members were there.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Spychalla Aircraft

Dick, Here is a picture of the "Punkin" patch for R/C expert. I agree with you about Futaba doing well. It looks to me like Futaba takes R/C Scale seriously and that they consider it a "Key NATS Segment". I still wonder what JR's 6th key NATS Segment is? Could it be that they discount R/C Scale?

Dick, What color were you wearing? R/C Report shirt?

Leo

Name:	Xv63806.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	338481  
Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, just my Sunday Flyin' Shirt. (look at R/C Fun Scale Novice in the link below)

I counted 10 Team Futaba Orange and Blacks in this page alone.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/.../pdfs/0808.pdf
Old 10-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Thrushdust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

JR does tend to overlook us as a major segment, especially when we buy our own equipment from them and beat their and the other "team players", even though the R/C scale flying is the most popular spectator (future customers) venue. Look at the number of folks that pay big bucks just to sit in the stands at Top Gun, and they think R/C Scale isn't noteworthy? They do support Top Gun and other events but, we trust their equipment enough to use it in our models that we spend countless hours on, that should be worth some consideration. Who cares who's radio is in a $100 Quickee that is assembled in a couple of evenings and only can turn left?

Way to go Zack! Keep up the good work and help your dad out some, make him practice!

Here's a quote from another thread that explains why there is one missing from that photo. I believe he was using a 14 channel pumpkin radio.

"It is was a heavy heart that I tell you that Greg Hahn's Top-Gun winning B-25 was destroyed today at the Scale Nats in Muncie. Culprit at this time is un-known (some type of radio problem), but Greg was heard to say that it just quit responding. "

D. Hayes
Old 10-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Spychalla Aircraft

ORIGINAL: Thrushdust
Way to go Zack! Keep up the good work and help your dad out some, make him practice!

D. Hayes
David,

I'm going to have to steal those hands off Zach. It does bother me some because he has no shakes like his old-man. Flies competition like he flies a Sunday afternoon fun/fly. Unflappable. It was "fun" to see several of the Futaba Pilots do double time on him to get into his head and rattle him on the final flights. It had no effect at all. Might have made him better.

Dave, I expect you know us well enough to know that the kid standing in the photo wearing a white Marquette T-shirt flies JR. Go figure? So consequently I am having some fun with this whole thing. I see only 3 possibilities on what happened: either JR does not see R/C Scale as a key segment, or their marketing is asleep at the switch by missing the 6 out of 6, or they only count a victory if your wearing a red shirt. It's got to be one of the above.

Leo
Old 10-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Thrushdust

Leo,

I think it's mainly the latter two...asleep and (no)colors blind.

No "Red Shirt" here either, but all JR equipment since 1983 and an eight year old "obsolete" 10SX, without digital servos!

Practice, practice, practice and listen to your caller, not the pumpkins!

David

Name:	Pm35166.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	339217  
Old 10-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Wormy J
My Feedback: (6)

Dave,
What your really saying is that some of us can fly quite well with the shirts we bought ourselves (and raidos, engines....etc).
Leo,
Thanks for clearing that up I was trying to find out more info on the new Marquette raidos. Now I can stop looking.

I have allway been ridiculed for my choice or equipment by many other "factory" fliers who say I should be using all of the newest latest and greatest stuff. First off I can't afford to up grade each time the lastest fad comes out and also I would rather leave the testing of new equipment to the "Factroy" pilots like Greg ( I bet he has second thoughts about putting such a new raido in such a nice model). My Airtronics Tx and Hitec fight pack has yet to let me down now for over 10 years. Oh by the way according to most people I will have nothing but trouble with that setup.

I must say the highlight of the Masters in 2003 was talking with some "well known" modelers about how they needed more channels, modes, switches, etc in their radios. I then piped in that my Tiger Moth can use the cheapest four channel Tower sells. Man, I have never seen so many dirty looks.

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now,

Jeremy Fursman
Old 10-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Spychalla Aircraft

ORIGINAL: Wormy J
Leo,
Thanks for clearing that up I was trying to find out more info on the new Marquette raidos. Now I can stop looking.

I have allway been ridiculed for my choice or equipment by many other "factory" fliers who say I should be using all of the newest latest and greatest stuff. First off I can't afford to up grade each time the lastest fad comes out and also I would rather leave the testing of new equipment to the "Factroy" pilots like Greg
Jeremy Fursman
Jeremy, Thanks for commentary! Hey, maybe we could all start flying for "Marquette Radios" it could be a new trend. "Team Marquette" with the white shirts.

I did something crazy this year by most modellers standards. I sold my 3 year old JR 10X on Ebay for $500 and then turned around and bought a new JR 9303. Why? Because the JR 10X is a brick! It weighs a ton! and if you fly a lot with a neck strap like I do it gets really annoying. The JR 9303 is light and has everything I need. It has every function I would ever want and the only thing I'm missing is 3 position dual rates which I did not use anyway. I don't need a brick hanging around my neck nor do I want to lug a desktop computer either. Give me something light and functional. Ahh...relaxing. That's the answer. This summer I had several occasions to twist the brains of several fashion conscious pilots who just must have the latest and greatest. They would look at my JR 9303 and say, "Boy, I bet you wish you could afford the JR 10X or why don't you buy a 10X?" When I tell them I just sold one on Ebay, didn't like it, you can tell their brain just locks-up. Very entertaining.

Leo
Old 10-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Wormy J
My Feedback: (6)

Leo,
Funny, I sold my 10x too. Great radio for pattern or 3D but not for scale or fun flying. Can't figure out why they were so set on not allowing you to assign switches. My Stylus also weighs a ton but at least I can set it up as I choose. I am thinking about the 9303 to replace my 13 yo 347. Glad they changed their mind about programming the switches.
I am now back to work after three years off at the big jet Co. here in WA so I will be back next year at the Masters (maybe the Nats???). It would be nice to see a sweep of the top spots by "white shirts".
Jeremy
Old 10-16-2005, 11:54 PM
dribbe

I wouldn't say JR is ignoring scale.... JR radios pretty much dominated the US Scale Masters 2005... 1st in Expert and Team. (2nd in Expert, etc). All with the 10x.

David

Name:	Zx70965.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	340126  
Old 10-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Spychalla Aircraft

Today I realized that the JR add may be right in that they only dominated in 5 of 6 key segments at the AMA NATS, and that would include R/C Scale. If you look at this picture again and asked yourself who dominated in this event? You would have to say Futaba. The guys in the Orange shirts. Clearly dominant. Orange and Black was everywhere. I don't recall seeing one red shirt during the whole event. Yet I remember years ago when red was everywhere. (Might have been Mike Stokes' influence).

It would be interesting to know if the radio companies sell considerably more radios by associating their brand with competition pilots. Is that what sells radios? Futaba and JR obviously pursue this association with their teams, so why then don't we see brands like Airtronics, Hitec, Multiplex, or somebody like Polk's do the same? Nearly half our electronic equipment is Hitec. It is good stuff. Where is Team Hitec? Just curious. Leo

Name:	Nl29509.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	340496  
Old 10-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spychalla Aircraft
Nearly half our electronic equipment is Hitec. It is good stuff. Where is Team Hitec? Just curious. Leo
I hear you Leo, I like my Hitec stuff as well. Getting ready to purchase all new servos for my Yak-11 project and it will all be Hitec equipment. Bring on team Hitec! (I'll volunteer! )
Old 10-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

By the way, does anybody know the full results yet? I didn't stick around on Sunday for the awards to be handed out.