Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

Response to ( Riddle-4U ) post no.695,

Two things to remember regarding Scale competition....First; photos (of the plane you are modeling) always trump 3-views. Second; your model MUST match the documentation that you give to the judges.

So, if you're electing to enter a model of a particular Corsair ie; Ira Kempford's no. 29, and you include in your docs. a page from a book such as Squadron Signal pub. that shows no.29 as it looked in combat, then your model must look EXACTLY like the photo or artist rendering.
This is done this way so that even your nieghbor's grandmother can be a scale judge. All she would have to do is compare the model to the documentation supplied. She (or anyone) would not have to know anything about Corsairs. (factory fresh or weathered)

This is why it is soooo important that you gather your documentation first. Then build the model to match.

It drives me crazy when someone enters a "Wartime" (not warbird) P-51D and draws panel lines on the wings to match the lame artist's depiction which wrongly includes these lines.
North American Aviation filled in (w/dumb-dumb puty) all panel lines (except gun bays) then painted the wing (except flaps & ailerons) silver. The stab & elevator were left bare metal....However, with that said, he will get judged on how well his model matches the rendering and not on what the planes really looked like. So if you don't feel like depicting all the lines on your Corsair, then find documentation that doesn't show said lines. I think this is a wacky way to hold a scale competition but then we live in a wacky world.

But I digress...

Best of luck with your Corsair.
Ken.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Ken, that all may be true in theory, but your nieghbor's grandma isn't going to be a judge Some guy who's a know-it-all will be. If he sees stuff that's just not right, even though it matches the Docs, he can't help but think less of the plane and score with that impression on his mind. You can't unsee obvious mistakes

You're right Choose your Docs & Pics carefully
Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts, Ken! I have read all this adnauseum through the years. Lets all just show up with our best efforts and enjoy the hobby in the end. Too many are intimidated to bring their efforts in front of whoever is judging....or just the thought of "competition" itself. It should be fun, and many also say this. It is now about keeping the hobby alive as much as who wins! That is true, and a bit scarry. Anyone who can build a Royal model, finish it to a high level along with markings and source, should be proud in my book (understanding all the prefab scale models available today)! Stick with it folks.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: frets24

Not much going on here lately.

just wondering if anyone knew what happened to ''7aso''. his website dedicated to Royal kits has collapsed and he hasn't logged in to RCU for a long time either.

Lippo,
How's that B-17 coming along?
LOL yea how is that good ol' b-17 coming along we need pictures to satisfy the curious!
Ol' 7aso (Taso) took his site down I think in February of this year?
I've been trying to rech him but no luck, see's he has gone the way or Luke Zollner, maybe they were the same person.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this.

http://rc-royal.com/

It's the same?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM
My Feedback: (8)

7aso is with me at scalrcbuilder.com. At least I think he's the same? With a Royal B-17 thread. sign up and check it out!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Its not him it states that useers real anme at the bottom of his posting
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM

thats the site the flee bay seller u.s.wing uses for his sales

ORIGINAL: scale dail

7aso is with me at scalrcbuilder.com. At least I think he's the same? With a Royal B-17 thread. sign up and check it out!
you mean rcscalebuilder.com
Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM

you guys have got to see this flee bay sellers ad!
heres link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marutaka-Royal-F...item230a39f1f8

if not visible search marutaka bearcat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70196.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1506116  
Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 PM

I have three Royal Bearcat kits! Waiting for scale retracts to fit[&o].
Old 09-29-2010, 02:35 PM
My Feedback: (22)

man I envy you guys with royal kits..I never had the luxury or time when I was younger to build one.now if you can find one they are so expensive but I wish someone had a kit company making them they were first class scale kits!!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 AM

Thanks for updating us about things on Ebay "I fly any and all". I think that is fine to do! One thing I must say is that I wish you wouldn't disparage Ebay with the moniker "Flee bay" from here on out. Ebay is an honest business, and one in which we all can either win or lose on our bargaining. There are some offers which are consistantly disappointing in the market place (let us weed them out), many others are well founded and offer products at a price the market will bear (entirely exceptable). Let's distinguish and not get too "cool" with disparaging terms...is all I am saying. No, I don't own stock in Ebay, just want to respect business's that offer good stuff for whatever price is sustainable. We can all assess our own purchases.

So....if you want to build a Royal design, perhaps it can be done without spending 400 bucks on a "legacy" kit. The plans can be found, and let's see that we can as a group help provide the best for builders, economically, ethically, and of high quality!! -Eric
Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 AM

Sometimes when no one else is watching, you can bid and buy a kit for a resonable price. The Royal kits do comand a very high price though. I paid premium for the Cosair sr. kit. But the Bearcats just came my way and of course you never let a real Royal kit pass bye. I would not say what all the classic kits I have, But my wife threatens to just give them all away when I die!
Better build them all first!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Dail, she has my phone number,,,right?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:00 AM

Of course, keep the thread author in mind!? Well, I have no pull...[sm=cry_smile.gif]. Worth a try. I like the P-38's myself; I know you do too. One of these days. -Eric

Oh, and my blown-up Corsair takes precedence for now. In the end, it is a Royal of sorts (the plan).
Old 10-02-2010, 12:40 PM

oooo enlarged corsair! sweet get us some pictures.
In the past here on RCU when I would try to type the word "Ebay" it used to be censored automatically thats why I disguised it as fleabay because I didnt realize that the censor had been withdrawn.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:45 PM

RARE royal p-26 peashooter on ebay $300 buy it now!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-P26-A-Peas...item1e5eb74460
Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the Royal kits. Here's a few pics of my P38 and B25. I still have the B25, she's stripped and waiting for retracts, and me to get off my butt and re-finish her. The P38 was killed when I ran her out of fuel having too much fun doing high speed low passes...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53504.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1511545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18446.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	1511546   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28170.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1511547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77139.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	1511548  
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Neat! thanks for the pics. Really like the Royal P-38!!! R.I.P. I lost my tigercat the same way, just flew to long, lost both engines at almost the same time and the rest is history[&o].
Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale dail

But my wife threatens to just give them all away when I die!
Better build them all first!

My wife keeps threatening me too. She says when I die she will have the garage sale that I always dreamed of finding.

Dick
Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 PM

Yup...pretty darn funny yous guys! One could actually call it sanity-saving to do our hobby amidst the trevails. Keep it up...I say! Build'em! Nice sentiments on this thread.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM

I am looking for a copy of the cockpit kit instructions that came with the Royal North American B-25. The kit that I purchased was complete except for the cockpit instructions. I do not need the original, just a copy. The plane is all done except for the cockpit. I have looked at a lot of photo's and could finish it using those as a guide, but I would like to see what Royal intended. Thanks for any help. Harry
Old 10-12-2010, 12:36 AM

Nice questions. I think Royal will perhaps not specifically help on the cockpit. If you have gotten this far....don't worry about about what Royal intended! Just find some pictures somewhere and emulate it to the best of your ability. Bravo...to your current acheivements! Trust yourself and finish 'er off! -Eric

I must note...you are showing that you are a Denverite... maybe we can have a beer and get over any stumbling blocks on your project, as well study our gals locally?

Edit: Yea, don't want to get you in trouble with any significant other on the last comment
Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Beer and chat sounds good but it would have to be a few months later. Getting ready to winter where it's warmer. I've not had any other problems with the construction or finishing except for the cockpit and I have a little that done. Whether or not I ever fly it is a good question. I like to build more than a fly and I'm not good enough to fly this one. I have several hundred hours into it. My brother wants to display it for a while. He is single with a big house with high ceilings so no one to complain about "that thing" hanging in the family room!!!! Anyway, thanks for the response. Harry
Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 PM

I've got my old Royal P-38 on the board right now, converting the aileron controls from single servo and bellcranks, to a servo for each aileron in the outer panels. I am going to glue them right on the outer suface of the wing. [:'(] Just kidding! The servos will be under hatches.
Both ailreons have ripped off in flight at different times, and this past spring they were fluttering even at cruise speed. It is just getting old and worn out.
But, by this time next year I hope to have TWO Royal P-38's!. When this is done in about a week or so, I will start on my P-38 in a bag wreck!

Has anyone ever seen two Royal P-38's in the air at the same time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.