Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 AM
rwright142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Interesting design.
My only concern would be the weight of the air cylinder and associated hardware so far aft. The Corsair needs a LIGHT WEIGHT tail. Has it been considered moving the cylinder forward as much as possible?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM
chilie

While I can see promise in this design, certain considerations should be taken. For starters, there is no "locked" down position. The upward force might damage the cylinder when landing. Also, you don't have a method of steering. Depending on the clearances for the cylinder and the brackets that hold it, you are right in line with the steering arm that was designed for this tailwheel. Moving the cylinder farther fore (it doesn't have to be mounted so close) might solve that. I'm also curious to see how much of the former is left after you hog it out to accommodate that mount.

I think with a little extra engineering, this could be a rather practical design and solves some of the clearance problems with the retract arm of the tailwheel.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
airboss45

Guys, Help please. just started building my top flite 1/6 scale corsair. i really want to try making a 3pc wing using wing tubes or alum channel rails from [Sig]. does anyone know someone that has done this or is in the process? i want to keep the plane on it's legs durning transport. thank you, airboss "aka" don
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Don,

You might try to find somebody who has pictures of the set up used on the Byron Corsair. The Byron uses an aluminum blade spar that plugs into an aluminum channel and works great. I'm sure it could be adpated to the TF Corsair wing.

Chad Veich
Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wing you describe is almost identical to the Byrons Corsair.
It would be pretty straight forward to do. I can share some images of the junction.
Scott
Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Fly2XS

Don,
Here are some images & drawings from the junction on one of my Byron's Corsairs.
The 1" spade protrudes from the outer wing section by slightly less than 3". The two dowels are strictly stabilizers (anti-rotate) and are not structural.
I added a detail from the manual showing how the aluminum spar is integrated into a plywood spar that is epoxied into the outer panel.
Most use (1) screw threaded into the receiving channel to hold the wing, I use (2).
Look at the images for details.
Have Fun!
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48285.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1312103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14318.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1312104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80128.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1312105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67402.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1312106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79331.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1312107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy35394.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1312108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33257.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1312109  
Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

V6Goose has made his tail wheel set up for his hanger 9 bird and made a video of it on you-tube. there was a question asked about it locking. It looks like he made it lock just like the robart 160 tw .the the lifting arms over exstend a slight bit and the flat end at the top of the arms lock against the mounting plate,with the cylinder arm full exstended .But I don't think it has a lock up in the retracted position .

video shows it works petty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOEFtDUrxI

I'm on board for a 3 piece wing as well.

Joe
Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 AM
Riddle4U

I find the practicality of a 3-piece wing attractive. I hadn't thought much about it for our project here until recent posts on the Byron. I don't mind going slightly off-topic if it helps our design. My conception really was a one piece wing for weight saving and scale integrity (as impractical as it seems). Of course I am a skier so I am used to my sport machines being long and cumbersome transport-wise. I think I will stick with one piece. Others have talked about folding wings also. I say go for it! Let's see some building fellas! This thread is full of great recommendations, scale pictures of the prototype, detail on tail, gear, canopy, TW, e.t.c.. Also don't forget Richard Wrights cockpit thread for a 1/6th Corsair, we're ready to go! To those wanting to build our 1/6th Corsair, some of us can get you plans. Time to cut out parts and start a'gluin'![sm=47_47.gif]

Oh yea, the edit is to explain my icon. That is one "Micklin" from Baa Baa Blacksheep with the cigar, I am not responsible So....college boyyyss...!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 AM
Riddle4U

I caught this link just now on our site. It contains a tab, under accessories/hardware, for a carbon fiber .188" rod and stainless steel ends. Looks interesting. Can someone comment on their efficacy of usage on our project? Link:[link]http://www.abellrc.com/abellrchome.html[/link]
Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
RCGuy41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gents,

Yesterday I ran into a thread here on RCU dealing with RC accessories for military style A/C; i.e. pylons, bombs, drop tanks, and missiles. Yesterday afternoon I contacted the builder and talked with him for approximately 1/2 hour and boy was I highly encouraged with his product.

Here is the link to Rich's thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9103262/tm.htm he will build any type of pylon, bomb, drop tank, and missile from 1/8 scale up to 1/4, any one interested check him out; I placed my order last night.

Brad
Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 AM
mykehayward

Hi Guys

Bit late to this thread - regarding Military Colours I see Klass Kote in the UK are now doing Military Colours based on Frank Tiano's M&M Scale Color Chip Book.
They are pre mixed alraedy

I see the Corsair is one of the Colors Schemes they do

Here http://www.klasskote.co.uk/catalog/i...8d2dc7f159ec27

If you look under the YT International section you will see the colour Scheme for the Corsair produced by Klass Kote

Here is the Klass Kote US site but scale colors are not listed yet but they must do them if the UK guy does

http://www.klasskote.com
Old 11-22-2009, 10:29 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Its nice to see Klass Kote moving in the right direction. I suspect that most modelers would rather not mix their colors but prefer to buy them "off the shelf". Makes sense to package the product that way.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 AM
rwright142

Nice find and thanks!!! No luck finding it in the USyet.

Here is the direct link to the UK site:

Corsair Colours
http://www.klasskote.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_36_38&osCsid=9908bcedd2329171cc8 d2dc7f159ec27

Old 11-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Riddle4U

I have investigated this site in detail: http://www.klasskote.com/ I think you just need to do a little extra work to communicate your color needs. There is a matrix for colors (U.S. site), but I would call someone there to be sure before an order (have documented color codes first). I do think Klass kote is a strong choice for a scale model (by all means not the only one). I like to support a company that also supports us with some formulas for rare as well as the usual colors for scale models. Let us know how it goes (mr. Hayward)?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:29 PM
mykehayward

Hi

The Klass Kote US definitely do the colors - the US office have not got around to putting it in their site as yet.

It is a brand newe range to Klass Kote - for my wallet it is really good news

The contact person at Klass Kote US is Nate Dickerson who I am sure will be happy to point you to his local Reseller

Basically Klass Kote have teamed with KMP (US) / YT International (UK) to do paint for their range of Warbirds.

KMP / YT have used the Frank Tiano M&M Scale Color Chip book as their source of reference

"Mr Scale" Dave Platt (Scale Contest Board Chairman) has endorsed and verified the colors as being of acceptable accuracy for the purpose of the A.M.A Scale Competition.

I believe Frank Tiano Enterprises no longer produces the M&M Scale Color Book but not 100% sure.

If you are fortunate enough to own the the M&M Scale Book - Klass Kote can pre mix any of the colors in the M&M book not just the one on the Klass UK site

For the YT / KMP Corsair - this is the list of colors they use

Light Grey - FS 36492
Azure Blue - FS 35231
Insignia Blue Shade 47 - FS 35044
FS 36494

Thwe colors on the Klass Kote UK site is close but not spot on so don't go by those

As already pointed out with Klass Kote is if you don't agree with the color you can still mix your own, or tweak their formula which they supply free of charge to get it where you want it to be.
Also no Clear Coat need the paint is Fuel proof as is.

Klass Kote also do a Flattener Additive Powder which is add to the Satin Catalyst to give a dead flat finish - great for wing walks and such like

The sources Frank Tiano used are

U.S. Colors - Federal Standard Color Guide 595B

British Colors - British Standard Institute Publication B.S.I 381 C

Luftwaffe Colors - R.L.M Colr Chart "Farttontafel zur Behandlungs - und Anwendungsdorfchrift fur Flugzeuglacke (Ausgabe 1938)"

Japanese Colors - Chicago Scale Masters Color Guide

Italian Colors - Chicago Scale Masters Color Guide

Romanian, Turkish, Hungarian & Russian Colors - Chicago Scale Masters Color Guide

Hope that helps

Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Hello. I have been following this since day one. Seems as tho things have slowed a bit and I thot maybe you fellows might enjoy this if you have not already. http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/park.htm
Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 PM
rcaflyrc

ORIGINAL: nomobux

Hello. I have been following this since day one. Seems as tho things have slowed a bit and I thot maybe you fellows might enjoy this if you have not already. http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/park.htm
I have been following this Forum to.

Wow!!! Thanks for the link. It looks very interesting. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-06-2009, 04:48 PM
rwright142

Even for those that have seen the Young Parks build before, check it out. It is updated with new pictures that I have not seen before. Amazing talent and cool history.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Riddle4U

Ok...nice site! What's our excuse? I guess everything starts with part #1. Thanks for the link. What's everyone up to?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Just a note on Klasskote. I have now switched to using Klasskote only. Tried it once and could not believe how well it covered and sprayed extremely easy and layed down very smooth. Nate will mix any custom color and stayed in contact with me letting me know exactly what was going on which in these days is a selling point for me. One thing I really enjoyed on the last model was I didn't have to clear it after I was done since the finish was already perfect. I also used the Klasskote thinned down in my airbrush to do the weathering and to do a weathering wash. Something I always had to clear after I was finished before. A friend of mine also painted his model in Model Master paint then cleared it in Klasskote clear and it came out perfect giving a very durable finish. I followed his instructions and it was right on with a perfct viscosity. Sorry if I sound like a advertisement for Klasskote but it made painting a breeze.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:38 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Finishing up my TFGS Corsair.
Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20971.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1328779  
Old 12-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Fly2XS

Sam,
What did you use for a tailwheel on your Earl Aune retract?
Scott
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Scott,
I have two. One is a Dubro 2" with a solid aluminum hub, which stands up better to sitting on the tire. The other is a light weight Dave Brown 2" wheel. I'll most likely just use the Dubro wheel for things like the Mall show where the plane will be sitting on its wheels for extended periods of time, and use the Dave Brown wheel for flying. If the CG is better with the heavier tail wheel then I'll just use the Dubro all the time.
Sam
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Riddle4U

Randy, that is important to know. I had already decided on Klass kote! Did you use any chalk for weathering? What was your mix's for various weathering effects with airbrush? Thanks (just thinking ahead...motivates me). - Eric p.s. I have my Royal .60 Zero to experiment with on weathering e.t.c. (see my Royal thread).
Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Remklep

Thanks for the link guys, I had already seen Mr. Parks Corsair but hd never seen his website.
A true master at work!

Also thanks for the info on Klasskote, I have never used their paint, but have heard a lot of good things.
Now you guys have convinced me to use them too.

On another note, Sam already discovered my other build thread, so I thought you guys might enjoy it too.
As I guess our Corsair project will take a while to complete and I wanted to have something to build this winter, I started on a Jerry Bates Curtiss P-40B Warhawk.
I started a thread on RCScalebuilder.com:
[link=http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14121&PN=1]Bates P-40B - Vic Catalasan Fuse in Europ[/link]

I am still 100% commited to our Corsair project, but I can't let this building season go to waste

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.