Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:12 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Here's a link to a Corsair memorial restoration, and if you follow the "photos" link there are some good cockpit photos. Interesting stuff. If any of you know of this already, do you know if they plan to restore it to flying condition?
Sam
[link=http://corsairrestoration.com/inspect.htm]Corsair Restoration[/link]
Here's the page with the cockpit photos[link=http://thistlegroup.net/corsair/pg03.htm]Corsair Photos[/link]
Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: DaddySam
If any of you know of this already, do you know if they plan to restore it to flying condition?
Unfortunately this Corsair will NOT be restored to flyable condition and, as I recall, the current plan is to stick it back up on the pedestal once it is completed.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Sam! I looked through the pics on your link. I feel ready to build!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:38 PM
jerrymu1

Chad, you may have already received the answer; but, just in case you haven't, I have attached a partial of the elevator drawing showing the pinked tape widths.

Jerry M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95365.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1292138  
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Chad Veich

Thanks for the info Jerry.

Here is some interesting "goings on" in the world of full size Corsair restoration.

http://worldwartwozone.com/forums/ai...tion-pics.html
Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 PM
jerrymu1

Definitely an interesting site.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry M.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
RCGuy41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Evening Gents,

I've finally started on my 1/8 Corsair build; since I'm waiting on a set of scale tail feathers; I started building the center wing section. I spent nearly 2 days dry fitting all parts before I was satisfied everything would go together right with limited or no twist to the center wing section. Here are a few pics of my progress.

Brad

Name:	Us54398.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1295130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17494.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1295131  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 AM
RCGuy41

O.K.,

This past weekend I made some progress, both outer wing panels have been framed. Following the drawings and constrution manual; I fit both outer wing panels to the center wing section and glued them together and used the diahedral block under the center wing section to ensure proper wing alignment and diahedral. The framed wing is still on my work bench and I will post a few pic's after work today.

A shout out to Chad; Thanks for making the tail kit ; I'm going to start the fuselage build this week but when the tail kit arrives; I'm going to push it aside and build the tail kit.

Brad
Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
RCGuy41

As promissed, the pictures of my framed up wing.

Brad

Name:	Yw68529.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1298297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53383.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1298298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34124.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1298299  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCGuy41

Brad

Hmm I find you building style rather interesting. Are you building the 1/8th royal or top flite?
Seems to me that
I remember Ol' Luke Zollner building over a door as you are.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:36 AM
RCGuy41

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

ORIGINAL: RCGuy41

Brad

Hmm I find you building style rather interesting. Are you building the 1/8th royal or top flite?
Seems to me that
I remember Ol' Luke Zollner building over a door as you are.
I-fly-any-and-all

The kit I'm building is the 1/8 Top Flite Gold Edition Corsair; it is an older kit, but everything was in great condition. The only additional material I had to buy was the update kit from Top Flite. I will need to sand some more on the wing, ensuring all contours are correct.

My building table you see in my pictures; I built it last year. All materials purchased from Lowes, Table top, 2X4's, and 4X4X36 Oak Table legs.

Brad
Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Riddle4U

Brad, your progress on the TF is good. I am glad you are interested in our Corsair build! I am also glad that you seem to have begun a commitment to our 1/6th Royal Corsair build project, by getting Chad's great tail kit. The TF will be a good "warm-up" for our project, for sure. I really hope you'll follow our thread through the building season (well I hope our group will energize). Speaking delicately for myself only, I suggest keeping progress on your TF to a minimum here in order to keep our thread properly aimed. Don't hesitate to make occasional reference to your ongoing project, but I hope you might keep mostly to thoughts on the Corsair in general or our specific build. I hope I am not being too stiff?

Chad: What is the latest on your end? Is there some new ideas on the wing design...flaps, hinging, linkage design preference for flaps, or just general? I hope we'll stay on track with our project (Like I said weeks ago, I really wanted to do a lot of flying this summer; mission accomplished). Eric

Group at large: any new pics of building? I think many of us have been a little "way-layed".
Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 PM
RCGuy41

Chad,

Received the tail kit in the mail today; man you do some awsome work, once I build the tail assembly it will be lite and strong, again thanks for the kit.

Brad
Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Remklep

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Brad, your progress on the TF is good. I am glad you are interested in our Corsair build! I am also glad that you seem to have begun a commitment to our 1/6th Royal Corsair build project, by getting Chad's great tail kit. The TF will be a good ''warm-up'' for our project, for sure.
Riddle,

If I read it correctly on the previous page, Chad made a 1/8 scale tail kit for RCGuy41.
So unfortunately he's not joining our 1/6 scale build.

But, the TF Corsair will look SOOOOOOO much better with Chads tail-kit
At least his tail will be scale....

Danny
Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

I am still here as well but I did add a new member to the family on August 2nd. Her name is Jaden and we adopted her from China. We spent two weeks in China in early August. This ended a four and a half year process for us. Her one year birthday is coming up next month. She is healthy and taking her first steps so we are very happy.

As for the Corsair, I will getting back to that shortly. I am trying to finish up a few small projects before I give it my full attention.

Name:	Vt56580.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1300361  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Remklep

Rusty, Congratulations with you beautifull daughter.
4.5 years, WOW, thats a long time to wait.

In December I'll join you as a Pappy, my son will be born then...

Danny
Old 10-23-2009, 02:21 PM
jerrymu1

Congratulations to both of you; my boys are a little older than Danny. I had can't begin to explain the enjoyment I had helping them develop from boys to men. I am very proud of both of them as I am sure you will be of yours.

My work on the Corsair tire is progressing well; I finally got the right type of rubber and have molded a couple of throw away prototypes...getting close to a final version.

Jerry M.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
jerrymu1

This is the best prototype tire I have done so far; note that to save rubber, I am only casting one half a tire until I get an acceptable result.

This one is very close; consistency of the rubber is about the same as a bicycle tire.

I need to print a new master using a different plastic; this one has a glass fibre filler that shows up in the sidewall and makes the lettering almost unreadable.

My wheel design is about done and, if it is as strong as it appears, I will cast the tire around it for the finished product.

Jerry M.

Name:	Vt56469.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1301858  
Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Jerry,
That is looking VERY nice indeed! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.
Sam
Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Riddle4U

I concur with Sam! It is nice to see the inginuity that I think follows the highest aims of the modeling hobby! I did already go with the somewhat heavy Glennis line. I am glad us modelers have an existing quality manufacturer that tries to give us scale people a good product generally. Jerry, keep up the great work!

Hi Chad...anything going as far as thoughts for design? Did I miss anything on the fuselage work you have done? I have the original template file/plan from old Luke. It seems a bit rough to cut a paper template from that printed sheet to start cutting formers? Danny may have an opinion here. I will probably send an order to Sig for contest balsa sheeting, and good birch ply come December. I was wondering about the Royal design in the nose area with the fuel tank box/firewall design. I suppose it is up to me (using the Laser 300 engine), to contemplate the configuration. Danny and Rusty...many happy wishes for the new arrivals!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:23 AM
rwright142

Congrats rustypep and I love the name Jaden. Did you name her?
And Danny, I am sure you are anticipating your Christmas present! What a wonderful thing to happen to you both.
I have been spending as much time with my daughter and granddaughter as I can before they leave for Germany. My son in law is serving in the Army and is in Iraq. He will be going back to their home in Germany next month so while he was deployed my daughter and grand daughter came here with stay with us. When they leave it will be about 2 yrs before we see them again so I have been spending as much time with them as I can.
Great work on the tire Jerry - looking good!

Old 11-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Chad Veich

Hi guys,

Even though I have not made any Corsair progress I wanted to update the group on the status of my participation in the project. First and foremost, I have not given up! I think most of you are aware of my little Hellcat project which has been my main focus for the last few months. It is my hope that the Hellcat will serve to generate some name recognition as I would like to start offering plans, parts, and possibly short kits as something of a side business. Many of you are aware that I lost my job nearly a year ago and have yet to find permanent work. Most of you,however, are probably unaware that I have a physical disability which has been a big contributing factor to my inability to find work. As a result I am in the process of acquiring disability benefits which, if I am approved for, will be a big help but certainly will not be a living wage. As such I am looking at way of supplementing that income and the plans and parts business is one avenue. My hope is that, assuming I'm approved for benefits, I will have a bit more free time and the Corsair will be put back on the front burner. However, it could take 3-4 months before I know anything. In the meantime I am trying to finish up several other projects that I think will generate more sales than the Corsair. As you can probably imagine a project as complex as a really accurate 1/6 scale Corsair is only going to be of interest to a limited number of folks! At any rate, I will continue to "nickle and dime" the build as I find time but really serious design work is probably a few months away if all goes as planned.

Chad
Old 11-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Hang in there Chad!
With the great work that you do I can picture a comfortable cottage industry based on your model & design work.
I wish I had time to drop by during my travels through AZ this week.
We're here for you!
Best,

Scott
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Riddle4U

Good luck with the Hellcat project, and we look forward to having you back here in greater force in the future. I certainly sympathize with your employment difficulties, as I have been under employed and unemployed for a year as well. Things should be getting better here, albeit slowly. Take care Chad. -Eric
Old 11-09-2009, 03:26 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

Here's a a bit of a redesign of the tail wheel ,done by V6goose on his hanger 9 corsair bash. I like it and plan on trying it.

Joe

Name:	Nk28209.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	872.2 KB
ID:	1310667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23750.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1310668  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.