Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale Magazine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale Magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Scale Magazine?

Are there any magazines that deal with scale R/C?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scale Magazine?

The best is Flying Scale Models out of the UK. An overseas subscription is a bit pricey but sometimes you can find a local hobby shop that carries it. Nowadays I only buy the US RC mags ("rags" ) to look at the ads.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Sethhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying Scale Models is indeed a nice publication if it fits your budget. I'm cautious these days about subscribing. I've had several mags take my money and go under. That industry is really reeling.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 PM
abufletcher

Seth, that's really the problem; to (wildly) paraphrase a famous quote by Groucho Marx: "I wouldn't want to subscribe to any magazine that would have me as a subscriber." The American mags are about 90% advertizing, 5% ARF reviews, with the remaining 5% being filled up with hobby cliches. I rarely spend more than 30min (if that) looking through any of the American mags. On the other hand, I'll read and rereach over many years, my few precious copies of Flying Scale Models.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
TFF

Flying Scale is nice and are keepers, but I must have been the only reader in the city because everywhere I bought it does not carry it anymore. I have all the old mags from when I was a kid and flew in the 70-80s and toss the new ones because they rarely have anything. I will say the new Flying Models has an OK Neiuport 11 1/5 scale for control line and it could easily be converted to RC. Not as precise as the Proctor but looks good enough to be worthwhile. I tend to like the mags that have all forms of modeling; the RC stuff is usually bland but FF and CL have some interesting things because those guys are still mostly builders.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I favor the full-scale mags for scale models.....not many modeling Scale mags around anymore
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: TFF
...I must have been the only reader in the city because everywhere I bought it does not carry it anymore.
My US source also dried up. [] In fact, I haven't had my fix is almost a year. Luckily I was able to pick up a copy of the German magazine FMT (Flugmodell und Technique) which is a step up from the US magazines.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
TFF

It would be nice to be linguist like you to be able to get more than every 20th word in the text. Modelers around the world can be refreshing from the stale US stuff.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:08 PM
semeraro

I subscribe to Flying Models magazine. It is not strictly scale but is the best US model airplane magazine in print ( I think at least ). It covers RC, control line, and free flight, scale and sport. I like it because I fly RC and free flight scale and there is always some scale article on there on one or the other. It has some advertising but the ads are for smaller cottage industries with interesting hard to find stuff. Pick it up at the news stand and give it a try. I bet you will like it.

As far as strictly scale I have to vote for the UK Flying Scale Models. The UK puts out lots of good modeling publications. There are a couple dedicated to plastic airplane models that have lots of good scale documentation material. I can get FSM at Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst Illinois. Al's is also a pretty darn good shop with lots of inventory and people who know the hobby. Drop in if you are in the neighborhood.

Unfortunately I live in central Illinois and only get to Al's a couple of time a year when visiting family.

Regards,
Dave S.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:54 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

or you can frequent this site and pick up an exponentially larger amount of info.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: dhal22
or you can frequent this site and pick up an exponentially larger amount of info.
You're right that the internet has almost completely replaced specialized hobby magazines as a source of information. What I look for in a scale modeling magazine is inspiration. That's what keeps be going back to my few FSM mags. Still there's nothing quite like passing the latest issue around at the field with the guys.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 AM
TFF

What is great about the internet is you get to see something created in the steps taken and the chance to contribute; magazines if done well have the whole story distilled into the important information in an orderly format. Unless you use photo paper, the pictures are nicer with the mag. and it is easer to carry around and study and I am on a laptop.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:35 PM
kdc

The website is www.flyingscalemodels.com/ and you could subscribe using a credit card to protect your money if the worst should happen ( no reason to think it should its a mag run by real aeromodellers who are also long time model mag journalists )
The latest issue appeared in English shops last week, so it is definitely current.

Note that back numbers are often avail for a few years - see their website.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 PM
knormang

Nice to read the comments you guys have made with regard to the English Scale Model Mags. Articles by Peter Kent, for instance. He has a journalistic style that makes one run from the mag. to the building board. He is a real inspiration for the budding scale modeler. I also agree that Flying Models Magazine is also a real Inspiration, especially if you have been there, done that.Rubber power, towline glider, control line, and RC.It Has disappeared from the newsstands in my area, glad to know it is still alive.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Thanks for all the input. I just received money back from R/C Report since they are closing shop and I will take that money and subscribe to Flying Scale Models. It is $60 for a subscription here in the states but I am sick of all these ARF mags we get here.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Still, $60 spent for something you can enjoy..and keep, is a whole lot better than spending half that amount only to find you "round-can" an issue 15 minutes after receiving it. Flying Models magazine is about all we have anymore in the STATES that is worth the price of admission. What a sorry state of model journalism, eh?

Joe
Old 01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
kdc

The February 2009 issue of Flying Scale Models is already on sale here in England and has a free plan for a Cessna C37 Airmaster at 57 inch span. Looks interesting! Got to get the March issue too to get the 2nd part of the plan though.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Teus

Here in the netherlands to [8D]

I don't want to miss an issue anymore. Got an subscription now for 3 years and hope to continue it for a lot of years.

Teus
Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Stickbuilder

The reason that the American Rags have all become Catalogs for the ARF sellers, is due to the publishing, printing and mailing costs. First Scale R/C Modeler went down the tubes, and now RC Report. RCM could not be considered as a Scale Publication. Neither could some of the others who have gone down in flames.

If you don't want to see your favorite magazine shut down, or become a Tower catalog, then By the Great Hairy Ned, you need to support them. Keep your subscriptions paid up, and renewed. Buy from their advertizers, and not from some high volume toy store that does not advertize in that magazine. There are several of us old columnists who could start a magazine, but the start up cost is very high, and the cost of publishing such a paper mag is prohibitive. If we did, what assurances would we have that you guys would buy the book? How many of you would subscribe? There are only 150,000 members of the AMA, so what would our circulation be? If 10% of the AMA members subscribed to a scale magazine then you are talking about a circulation of 15,000 to 18,000, and that includes the sale to hobby shops, magazine stands etc. There is just not enough profit to make it worthwhile.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brother #1
Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
The reason that the American Rags have all become Catalogs for the ARF sellers, is due to the publishing, printing and mailing costs.
This has happened to almost all the hobby magazines. For example, the photography mags are just the same; they are 90% advertising with a few light-weight "articles" slipped to give the appearance of substance. I'll have to check on the subscription cost for FSM shipped to Japan. If it's only $60 that's well worth the price for 12 issues.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just checked - 60 UK pounds. Big difference! Now, if someone knows where to get it for $60 I'm in.

Might go for it anyway, though. The few issues I've picked up have been treasures.

Jim

ps - Wow - not as big a difference as I thought - what happened to the British pound?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Sethhunter

I appreciate your view stickbuilder, but I fault the demand side, not supply side cost . Modelers do HAVE the $ to spend on a "rag" - most annual subscriptions are half the cost of a decent servo. Fact is, almost no one builds to begin with, and next to no one builds scale. Modelers are just a reflection of US society at large - how many people repair their homes, appliances, etc.? My kid's high school has shut down their shops! Not enough interest, too much liability. Anyway, I'd have to say I was a loyal supporter of every magazine that stiffed me. I'm pleased to hear RC Reports is refunding to their subscribers. They sound like a good reputable group.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey fellows, I need help finding the August 2004 issue of Flying Scale Models. Will pay well for the article on the Fairey Swordfish or the complete issue. I really need this issue. Many, many thanks. Chic White
Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
kdc

Unfortunately I do not have this issue.
Flying Scale Models like many other mags offers free readers adverts to magazine buyers ( a coupon in the mag has to be used ) You could advertise for the issue you want.
Or phone FSM and ask to buy a photo copy of the article.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: kdc

Unfortunately I do not have this issue.
Flying Scale Models like many other mags offers free readers adverts to magazine buyers ( a coupon in the mag has to be used ) You could advertise for the issue you want.
Or phone FSM and ask to buy a photo copy of the article.
I think the usual way of wording this is to "order back copies" and I've definitely done that before from FSM. It's a bit of a pot shot though whether they will still have 2004 issues available. But I think kdc is right that if you send them a nicely worded letter, I think they will probably oblige you with a photo copy of the article.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.