Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale Props

Old 03-26-2002, 02:10 PM
RONSTERMONSTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Props

I found out the hard way that you cannot paint a Master Airscrew prop with acrylic paints . The paint just peeled off . I then tryed prefect paint primer that seemed to stick ,then painted the acrylic on looked good . I then painted my tip looked even better . I was then going to put lusterkote clear over it . I did this on my inter aileron strust over aluminium and it turned out great . So I was home free I thouht till I sprayed on the clear and bam !! . All the paint started to crinkle . I guess that I will have to get a wood prop and shape it a little and the paint . Also can you fly with a prop you painted your self. I am posting a pic of the plane I am putting the prop on . The engine on this plane is a 1.08 asp with a 15x8 prop that looks very scale in size .

Ron
Old 03-27-2002, 12:27 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Props

Ron:

You didn't mention whether all the acrylic was lacquer or enamel
Basic rules are (hope not to insult if you already know)
enamel can go over lacquer not vice-versa
The new enamels most often say on can that an additional coat
can be applied within 30 min. of first coat-- then after that you
must wait 3 days ( which I usually wait a week ). On your second
coat apply a light tack coat,wait a few minutes then apply more.
Don't put on a heavy second coat or it will blister even after wait-
ing the required time.

Lot of pilots paint their scale props -- but you have to be cautious not to put it out of balance.