RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Best scale photo! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/509567-best-scale-photo.html)

bla bla 09-30-2007 05:27 AM

RE: Best scale photo!

1 Attachment(s)
Funny things horizons. Nothing adds stature, increases percieved size and cheats the eye better than a lowered horizon.
Here's a full sized P-47 in a similar position as the first picture posted by Mustang51 up the page.
The amazing thing is that there is a great deal more scale detail in the model photo, yet it looks like a model compare to the full sized pic.
The key. The horizon.

Spuetz 09-30-2007 12:05 PM

Hey blabla, you're not taking this personally, are you?
My point was, that BOTH positions of the tail surface are scale, cause both happen in the full size world...
Of course not ALL pilots tie their stick ALL THE TIME! There are airfields with no wind, careless pilots, broken seat belts, coffee stops, 100-dollar-burgers... That's why I wrote "many pilots"... So what I am trying to say is: If you take a picture of the plane with the elevator down, that's fine. If you take one with the elevator up, that's fine, too! Some Pilots tie the stick in such a way, that ailerons are fully deflected, some don't so any position of the ailerons is fine. There is just one thing that will never occur with an airplane of this kind when in airworthy state: Ailerons will never be deflected to the same side!

Cheers, Martin

bla bla 09-30-2007 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Spuetz

Hey blabla, you're not taking this personally, are you?

Cheers, Martin

Ha, not a chance mate!
I was thinking Jez... all the pics of Cubs I have (and I had this one in my memory which was near identical to the model shot)... and then you come along with like One Zillion pics of Cubs with the elevator up!!!! Yeap.[&o]
Thats what I love about this thread. So much to learn.

cobra525 09-30-2007 08:21 PM

Hi Guys, well this threat has certainly shown me some of the most beautiful airplanes I have ever seen. In spite of that, Im glad you guys liked my little L4. The sad truth is I really didnt prepare or take that picture for this thread. Its just a pic I took after pulling it out of the truck and slapping the wings on. I feel like a contestant on AMERICAN FLYDOL now. Anyway for what its worth, This is what happened, one aileron got damaged and stuck due to flak but the other is fine. The pilot made a hairy emergency landing without incident, then secured the stick with the seatbelt because there was a tornado warning in effect. Hec, it beats the midget in the cockpit theory I had prior to Spuetz post. Thakns for a fun thread.

Spuetz 09-30-2007 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
blaba, cobra525,

love it! that's the spirit! Great story, cobra525. Now I see it in a whole different light...;)
After a day of doing serious business I just love to enjoy the great pictures, think about how to make them better and so on... Great fun. And cobra, I think if people critizise minor details on your shot, it is a sign of respect. Bad ones get just ripped apart on this thread, the good ones are disected with awe and respect!

Blabla, I actually went google pictures and found them... I was soo hoping to find one to prove my point, and then I found three. Was surprised myself... Gotta love google...

Cobra, this is a great airplane! Great model of it! And a very important one for us Germans, too. Why? Well here's a little background, if you're interested:

After the war the Germans were not allowed to operate powered airplanes for a while. Hence they moved to gliders. This is why gliding is so popular in Germany.
When the ban was taken away the first powered airplane to be registered in Germany was an L4. And guess what? It still flies. As a matter of fact I have flown it myself. Oh, what an exciting moment! It's home base is a little airfield close to Cologne and Bonn, called Bonn Hangelar (ICAO code: [link=http://www.edkb.de]EDKB[/link] - check it out on the web. It is the second oldest airfield in the world!). That's my home town airfield where I normally fly.
The airplanes reg no. was and is still: D-EBUG. It has been painstakingly restored, evacuated tubes filled with nitrogen and the lot.. I have contemplated to buy it but then I didn't cause it has only 65 hp and so I could not legally take a passenger up (although they do it all the time...)

blabla and all the others. Here is an experiment. Look at the right picture of D-EBUG where I edited the passengers: Now doesn't it look almost like a model? I think so...

Cheers, Martin

HHjul 10-01-2007 12:35 PM

Just another Super Cub... sorry for missing pilot! The grass is too high to look realistic...

***problems while uploading pictures... I´ll try again soon***

chasrb 10-01-2007 01:39 PM

Martin, how are you? I really like this plane. My Uncle was an Artilliery Spotter Pilot in WWII, He was a member of the Grasshoppers unit. I have his squad patch which as a Grasshopper as the logo. Prety cool.

I would like to build one in his honour using my OS 320. I'd need to see what scale that would work out to be...

Nice job on photoshopping the L4 to make it look like a scale model. You really brought home the scale point with that.

Cheers.

bla bla 10-01-2007 02:03 PM

It does indeed look like a model. A damned nice one!
Infact it appears as a model with people added to the picture, not taken out.

Spuetz 10-01-2007 05:49 PM

Damn, I should have done it the other way around: I should have showed the picture of the photo-shopped Cub, had it torn apart with horizon discussions and so on and then revealed, that it was a full size... But I am such an honest guy...;)

vertical grimmace 10-01-2007 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fokker DVII's in formation.

Mustang51 10-01-2007 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: bla bla

Funny things horizons. Nothing adds stature, increases percieved size and cheats the eye better than a lowered horizon.
Here's a full sized P-47 in a similar position as the first picture posted by Mustang51 up the page.
The amazing thing is that there is a great deal more scale detail in the model photo, yet it looks like a model compare to the full sized pic.
The key. The horizon.
More detail shows up because it(the picture of the model) was shot at a much closer distance, as if you were standing just a few feet from the plane. The shot you posted is obviously taken from a greater distance thus allowing the entire airplane in the shot.

-M51

bla bla 10-02-2007 03:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Mustang51

More detail shows up because it(the picture of the model) was shot at a much closer distance, as if you were standing just a few feet from the plane. The shot you posted is obviously taken from a greater distance thus allowing the entire airplane in the shot.

-M51
Precisely... and what can we learn from that?
Well for example, to get a great shot for this thread it isn't neccessary to have a F4C model!
Long before people start shooting holes in your control horns they've already made up their mind its a model simply by looking around the model, not at it.
Keep the horizon low and keep as many points of reference (trees etc that can give scale for the brain to refer to) out of the background.
Just focus on the semiotics.

Leo 10-02-2007 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
-

G-Pete 10-02-2007 08:35 AM

here some scale ones... (1/6)

http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/DSC00717.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/DSC00718.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/DSC00725.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/DSC00727.JPG

Clint H 10-02-2007 10:33 AM

Hey, those are from Warbirds over the Rockies. I recognized the Drake Field background!

chasrb 10-02-2007 11:53 AM

I am guessing that the large black canister under the plane is not one for gassing the troops...

ramcfarland 10-02-2007 01:00 PM

Looks believable

fliir 10-02-2007 07:22 PM

WOW!

We broke a quarter of a million views!

Mustang51 10-02-2007 07:46 PM

Oh God, where do we start with this one?
The prop? The radio switch on the side? The muffler? the push rods? the GIANT wrench?
Just to name a few.

-M51

chasrb 10-03-2007 05:01 AM

Aren't those guys kinda big for the jeep?

Teus 10-03-2007 05:52 AM

Back on track?

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-114014.jpg

bla bla 10-03-2007 09:06 AM

Maybe not?

bla bla 10-03-2007 09:18 AM

Remember, don't criticise the model...criticise the picture.
This thread isn't about building models, it's about taking a photograph.

Mustang51 10-03-2007 11:00 AM

bla bla ...It IS about the model. The point of this thread is about scale models and taking pictures of them where you don't know if you're looking at a model or the full scale counter part.
Visable control horns and a rx antenna right away let me know it's a model.
One first notices the aircraft. Then they look closer and closer to see if it's a model or a real aircraft. The angle and photo skills used to take the shot are secondary. Hopefully, if those components are "right on", you can't tell just which one(model or full scale) you are looking at.

-M51

uncljoe 10-03-2007 11:05 AM

Bla bla
I think your wrong, It thread states BEST scale photograph, Jugs did not swing a single prop,and the action figures along with the wrench are another scale...
Semper Fi
Joe