Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Electronics Questions For A Dumas Commuter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Electronics Questions For A Dumas Commuter

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 05:40 AM
cicerokid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronics Questions For A Dumas Commuter

Haven't built a boat in about 5 yrs. Going to build a Dumas Commuter and my electronics know how is rusty. Have the following questions:
---Buying a motor and ESC from Mark Products. The brushed motor has 12VDC and 5 amp max. The ESC is BEC enabled . I plan on using NiMh batteries.
---Since the ESC is BEC enabled does that mean I will not need a separate battery for the receiver?
---The ESC "has Deans power input connector. Which wires on which piece will feed the ESC? Does it connect to the battery or somewhere else?
---Is it worth buying a waterproof servo? If so, which brand(s)?
---Any other tips on what to use/buy?

Your time and help is appreciated.
Ken
Old 08-25-2021, 11:47 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cicerokid
Haven't built a boat in about 5 yrs. Going to build a Dumas Commuter and my electronics know how is rusty. Have the following questions:
---Buying a motor and ESC from Mark Products. The brushed motor has 12VDC and 5 amp max. The ESC is BEC enabled . I plan on using NiMh batteries.
---Since the ESC is BEC enabled does that mean I will not need a separate battery for the receiver?
---The ESC "has Deans power input connector. Which wires on which piece will feed the ESC? Does it connect to the battery or somewhere else?
---Is it worth buying a waterproof servo? If so, which brand(s)?
---Any other tips on what to use/buy?

Your time and help is appreciated.
Ken
A Battery Eliminator Circuit eliminates the need for a separate radio battery.
The big thick wires from the battery connect to the big thick wires coming out of the ESC, red to red, black to black. True for whatever type of connector.
On a boat intended to not take on water, there is no need for waterproof servos. Open boats with exposed parts would benefit from them.
The following users liked this post:
cicerokid (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 12:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

DARN!!!!! The Brit beat me to it
I can't help you on everything but I can help on the BEC question:
  • NO, you don't need a receiver battery pack. The BEC gives a regulated output to the receiver so a separate pack isn't needed.
  • I don't know which ESC you're looking at specifically but the BEC output wires, to the receiver, should have a standard connector that fits receivers
Could you give us a brand and model number so we can look at it? That would help considerably.
You said you're looking at building a Dumas commuter boat? Which kit are you looking at?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-25-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:10 AM
cicerokid

Not looking at specific ESC's yet. Wanted to first determine waterproof or not. The Dumas kit is 1273 Chris Craft Commuter. Will probably buy the running gear and power package from Mark Marine Products. The ESC comes with it and is called 7322 T. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:41 AM
JS440
My Feedback: (10)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never found a reason to not run waterproof electronics. It's always seemed silly to me, with all of the good, waterproof electronics available today, to run waterproof components and not have to worry about it.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:50 AM
Hydro Junkie

Just went and looked, have some better answers for you,
  • The T in the part number means that it has Tamiya connectors. If it was a D, it would have Dean's
  • The connector shown at the bottom right goes to the receiver. I just don't know if it's the BEC or control wires, could be used for both
  • The two wires at the bottom left are probably the motor leads
  • The connector at the upper left is the battery connection
  • The switch, just below the ESC, is obviously a power switch. I just don't know if it's for the receiver(doubt it) or for the ESC itself(most likely)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	2270645
cicerokid (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 11:45 AM
cicerokid

Thanks for taking the time to help me. Much appreciated. Understand everything now.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

The unit should have instructions with it so anything that I've gotten wrong or didn't know for sure should be touched on. Then again, I don't run electrics. The closest I have is a Aquacraft Atlantic tug I bought for the wife several years ago. I know enough to be dangerous but far from enough to claim to be an expert
cicerokid (08-26-2021)