Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Hitting the Jackpot of scale models

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Hitting the Jackpot of scale models

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 12:26 PM
Rhodeislander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitting the Jackpot of scale models

Hi all,
Brief background first:
I live in RI, and winter in Florida. I have r'c road cars, oval and drag and compete in the Villages while in Florida. I noticed some sailboats while I was there, and thought that might me fun. Once I looked into it, seemed kinda too much like the car racing. Rules and grumpy people. I saw some videos of scale boats, but many seemed to be in Europe. I was looking for a scale boat to build while in Florida and maybe find a local club. Close to retirement and maybe Florida full time, boating could be a good hobby to move towards. I'm a real estate broker and went to list a home in Rhode island. The owner has 3 huge boxes in his office, all scale boats! I asked what you doing with those? he says I bought them many years ago and never opened them. I asked well would you sell them? He says no..just take them. So here is my question to you all. I need help with build videos, electric conversion, parts, everything. One of the kits I see 2 videos on youtube. But, one i cant find a mention anywhere on the net. If this is too much for the thread, I can post each model separate. Anyway here is what I ended up with.
Robbe Paloma model number 1022

Model flight accessories Spear police boat? cant find anything about this.

Polar NR 584 Abs hull workboat 2 vids online of it on the water. But not much out there.

So, plan is buy what I need to build these. Bring to Florida in december and start building.
Thanks guys!
Bud
Old 09-28-2021, 12:29 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The Robbe kit will have a decent manual, hopefully including an English translation. Robbe are no longer with us, but many of their lines were taken up by Krick. Additional parts to make these kits go were usually specified to sell that companies parts, but could usually be bettered at much lower cost by shopping around.
I don't remember an MFA Spear police boat, but do remember the MFA Spearfish, a nice sport outline boat. Construction and outfitting generally was to the owners preferences, but would follow much the same practices as any other similar size and type of model.
The Billing Polar makes a fine model of a trawler. Again, the instructions might have gained something in translation.
Model clubs vary - my lot do a lot of casual sail boating for the feelgood factor, races only happening when more than one yacht is on the water at the same time. The scale guys mostly take satisfaction from seeing good looking boats where they belong, on the water. A neighbouring club is a long established model yacht racing club, take themselves very seriously, and seemingly can only take pleasure from formal racing. Each to their own.

Last edited by mfr02; 09-28-2021 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:05 AM
Rhodeislander

Default Vendors and others

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I tried to post photos of the three boxes but the forum says I need 10 posts behind me to do that. So, I would ask if you recommended specific vendors for kit completion? Going electric with all three kits. Been awhile since building anything needing glue, Lol.
Epoxy you recommend? I see CA now has an activator? Only thin CA used to activate was my finger to a small piece of balsa. Thanks again in advance. Once im up to 10 posts I will post pics of the boxes, curious as to what you all think of these as I cannot find them talked about.
Bud
Old 09-28-2021, 04:02 PM
JS440
My Feedback: (10)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

CA activator is more appropriately called "accelerator". CA will cure without any additional chemicals, although the more viscous it is, the longer it will take to fully kick without accelerator. It's worth having a bottle on hand, even if you rarely use it. It won't go bad. Epoxy is good for structural joints, or when you need to fill a small gap, but (just my opinion, I know many will argue) skip the 5 minute epoxy... the slow cure/24h stuff is much stronger, especially when working with porous materials.
The following users liked this post:
Rhodeislander (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 06:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JS440
CA activator is more appropriately called "accelerator". CA will cure without any additional chemicals, although the more viscous it is, the longer it will take to fully kick without accelerator. It's worth having a bottle on hand, even if you rarely use it. It won't go bad. Epoxy is good for structural joints, or when you need to fill a small gap, but (just my opinion, I know many will argue) skip the 5 minute epoxy... the slow cure/24h stuff is much stronger, especially when working with porous materials.
You won't get any arguments from me on that. I use almost all medium and slow West Systems in my builds. Interestingly, West Systems, regardless of the hardener, cures in 24 hours. It just starts to cure faster with the faster hardeners
Old 10-15-2021, 10:21 PM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mfr02
The Robbe kit will have a decent manual, hopefully including an English translation. Robbe are no longer with us, but many of their lines were taken up by Krick. Additional parts to make these kits go were usually specified to sell that companies parts, but could usually be bettered at much lower cost by shopping around.
I don't remember an MFA Spear police boat, but do remember the MFA Spearfish, a nice sport outline boat. Construction and outfitting generally was to the owners preferences, but would follow much the same practices as any other similar size and type of model.
The Billing Polar makes a fine model of a trawler. Again, the instructions might have gained something in translation.
Model clubs vary - my lot do a lot of casual sail boating for the feelgood factor, races only happening when more than one yacht is on the water at the same time. The scale guys mostly take satisfaction from seeing good looking boats where they belong, on the water. A neighbouring club is a long established model yacht racing club, take themselves very seriously, and seemingly can only take pleasure from formal racing. Each to their own.
The MFA Spear/Spearfish is a great handling boat from the English Fairey Boats.
We have one in our club running a Hobbyking 3648-1450kv on a 5800mah 4S Lipo battery, 120Amp ESC and a CNC 2 blade 42mm prop.
More on the Model Boat Mayhem Forum site for help with the boat .

Canabus
Old 10-27-2021, 02:17 PM
Rhodeislander

Default Hi

Originally Posted by canabus
The MFA Spear/Spearfish is a great handling boat from the English Fairey Boats.
We have one in our club running a Hobbyking 3648-1450kv on a 5800mah 4S Lipo battery, 120Amp ESC and a CNC 2 blade 42mm prop.
More on the Model Boat Mayhem Forum site for help with the boat .

Canabus
Hi,
I saw you post on another scale boat forum. I dont get much help over there. Is this a better attended forum?
Bud
Old 10-27-2021, 03:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

There are a few in this forum that are fairly knowledgeable, depends on the boat being discussed and what kind of power is being used in said boat