Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Large Scale Plans needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Large Scale Plans needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:07 PM
BlackPrince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Scale Plans needed

I'm looking to build the HMCS HAIDA (a Tribal Class destroyer - 1943) http://www3.sympatico.ca/hrc/haida/home.htm.

I have 1/96th plans but they are not acceptable for 3 reasons - 1) doubling the bulkheads with a photocopier or scanner also doubles the width of the lines and they get too blurry to measure with; 2) The plans (from Vanguard Model Marine: http://www.hobcen.com/hobcen2003/vanguard/) have been modified to increase the 1/96th's stability by increasing her draft; 3) the 1/96th plans do not have all the bulkheads in order to lighten the hull when constructed, but doubling plans would leave a 1/48th scale model too weak between the bulkheads.

With this in mind, does anyone know of anyone who has A) copies of the original plans for sale; B)copies of 1/48th scale plans they are finished with; C) the ability to create 1/48 scale plans from the originals should I be able to aquire a set?

Here's a pic of her in drydock (2003)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56916.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	116717  
Old 03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Large Scale Plans needed

1 I would suggest mathematically scaling every thing and redrawing on your plywood, or other media you choose to build from. I have currently done this with the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77749]Los Angeles fire boat #2 by 230 percent[/link].

2 The only full size set you truely require is the frame plans, bow and stern keel profile. The rest can be scaled using the first suggestion. Once the hull is fiberglassed, I typically pull out tht keel and frames anyway. If you need the extra frames, interpolating the added frame lines can be done in 50 percent, or 33 percent steps between existing frame lines.

3 You might contact the webmaster here
http://www.nwlink.com/~pfleming/
As they are currently building some 1/48 scale tugs and destoyers for a new game.
The Webmaster typically has sailed only British Warships.

(Redrawing a set of plans that has been enlarged, can take 3-4 weeks to draw and detail decently. The fee would run high at 25 bucks an hour.)[X(]
[link=http://groups.msn.com/ModelersAndHobbyForum/japaneset103lstbuildup.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=96]1-72nd plan rescaling in progress.[/link]
Old 03-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Tachikaze

Have you done the math to see how long this boat will be?[X(]
Umi and I have moved away from boats over 6' as we are getting too old to carry boats that large around. I hope you have a good trailer or truck and that you are in the weight room often.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:05 AM
BlackPrince

I'm still a young buck at 42, but I need to handle some big waves on Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada so windows in the weather are easier to find. I was planning on a small modified skidoo trailer to transport it and building a cart out of PVC piping to get it from the trailer to the water.

I can apparently get copies from the our national archives, but they require that I have the index numbers and isbn numbers and all this stuff and THEN they want payment... Typical government - they want you to do alll the work for free and still pay them[:@]

I think I will check out his site to see they're handling it.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:42 AM
BlackPrince

I searched the Canadian National Archive site and the Nation Archive UK site and found nothing - BUT I DID find a hit in the Australian Archives:

these pages are all text with links, but is still slow to load so be patient - here's a snippet from:
http://www.naa.gov.au/Publications/r...r03/arunta.htm

HMAS Arunta
The Tribal class destroyer HMAS Arunta was constructed at Cockatoo Island Dockyard as ship number 138. It was laid down on 15 November 1939, launched on 30 November 1940, and completed on 30 April 1942. Its length was 377 feet and displacement was 1Ê927 tons. The HMAS Arunta served in the Pacific during World War II, with the occupation forces in Japan, in the Korean War and in the Strategic Reserve in the Far East. It sank in 1969 off the coast of NSW after its sale to Taiwan for scrap metal.

WORKING DRAWINGS OF TRIBAL CLASS DESTROYERS HMAS ARUNTA, WARRAMUNGA AND BATAAN, 1939–45 M2779
Quantity: 4.59 metres
Drawings include keel and wiring details, riveting and welding schemes, framing sections, and oil and watertight bulkheads.

And further following the link of M2779:
http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Seri...sp?M=0&B=M2779
another snippet:
Primary description of series M2779
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Series number
M2779 Date registered
11 Jun 1991
Title
Working drawings of Tribal Class destroyers HMAS ARUNTA, WARRAMUNGA, and BATAAN (Cockatoo Dockyard ship numbers 138, 139 and 148), single number series
Accumulation dates
by 6 Oct 1939 - 1 Dec 1945 Contents dates
6 Oct 1939 - 1 Dec 1954
System of arrangement and control
Single number Range of control symbols
1-846 (with gaps)
Ownership other than Commonwealth
Predominant form
PAPER FILES AND DOCUMENTS
Agency / person recording
by 6 Oct 1939 - 1 Dec 1945 CA 7228, (by 1870) Government Dockyard - Biloela / (from 1913) Commonwealth Naval Dockyard, Cockatoo Island / (from 1933) Cockatoo Docks and Engineering Co Limited / (from 1972) Vickers Cockatoo Dockyard Limited / (from 1984) Cockatoo Dockyard Pty Ltd

Agency / person controlling
27 Feb 1998 - CA 8559, National Archives of Australia, Sydney Office

Quantity and location
5.76 metres held in NSW

Series links

Series notes
Old 04-07-2004, 06:07 AM
BlackPrince

I got this today in my mailbox that might help some people out who are also researching Tribal Class Destroyers from WWII.

Dear Mr Starkey,
I refer to your request for ship's plans.
The National Archives of Australia is an agency of the Commonwealth
government and has the responsibility of preserving the records of
Commonwealth departments and authorities mainly dating from 1901, together
with some records of colonial and state functions transferred to
Commonwealth administration.
Our plan copying charges of overseas buyers are $14.85 per page. In series
M2779, barcode 737267, their are 871 individual plans. In series M2943 there
are 2210 individual plans. Checklists exist for these particular series
outlining their contents. Their are 173 pages of checklists for these
series. I am able to send you a photocopy quote for these checklists,
however our copying charges are $0.50 per page plus six dollars postage.
I hope this information is of assistance.
Yours Sincerely,

Nick Culjak
Public & Reader Services
National Archives of Australia
Sydney Office
7/4/2004
Old 04-07-2004, 06:57 AM
BlackPrince

And further:

Dear Mr Starkey

Thank you for your e-mail requesting plans of the destroyer HMCS Haida (1942).

The National Maritime Museum holds 8 plans produced at the Vickers-Armstrongs Tyne yard during 1943.

I am sending to your postal address a pro forma listing details of these plans and costs for obtaining copies.

Kind regards
Graham Thompson
Curator, Historic Photographs & Ship Plans
National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
Tel: +44 (0)20 8312 8600
Fax: +44 (0)20 8317 0263
E-mail: [email protected]
Old 04-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Great research, and find.