Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Firing up the Cheddar Pintail vertical

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Firing up the Cheddar Pintail vertical

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
chinahbeng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firing up the Cheddar Pintail vertical

Hi

I have the above steam engine mounted on the Krick Anna boat with a Cheddar Butane container mounted. I would like to seek advise on firing up the boiler as the instruction is unclear.

Do i light it via the vertical chimney or at the nozzel where the gas tank is connected to the boiler.

Pls help
Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Firing up the Cheddar Pintail vertical

chinahbeng,
The better place to light off the boiler is near the fuel jet. Lighting it from the top of the stack means that there is quite a bit of gas fumes though the exhaust and fire chamber of the boiler and there can be sort of a suprising noise (and force) if it's lit there. First, I am NOT much good with steam engines. But, I have had some experience with fuel explosions. So take it for what it's worth, okay?
- 'Doc
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 AM
chinahbeng

Thanks for the reply, I will try near the fuel jet. It's just so that there's so little info on steam engine boats in this forum, I was looking more at care, guide and maintenance to Cheddar Pintail. I have one mounted on the anna and the other NIB for spares. My undersanding is that Cheddar model close down and acquired by Stuart models.

My guess is Steam engine rc boating is more of a Birtish thingy.

I was hoping to start a small interest group on live steam engine boating in Singapore!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 AM
LtDoc

chinahbeng,
Oops, just found the 'other' thread about this. 'Greenboat' is correct, in both recomendations. If the manual says light it at the stack/chemney, then that's what I would do (I think?).
I think interest in steam power just depends on how 'dedicated' you are to modeling and steam, if that makes sense. Almost any of the other means of power are easier to do and much less expensive. I do like the steam boats! I'm also 'cheap' and sort of lazy, meaning that I'm not too sure I want to learn how to do it. I haven't seen a huge amount of interest in steam ~boats~ here, but there are a bunch of 'steam' fanatics who like railroad engines, so can't say it's strictly a 'British' thing. The one steam 'fanatic' I know is also a machinist who enjoys building the engines, which has just got to be some kind of mental disorder thing, right? Having helped my father clean a steam plant used in his business, I can state with absolutely no uncertanty that I will never crawl inside another boiler! - LOL BUt those little bitty ones are sure nice!
Have fun.
- 'Doc
Old 08-29-2006, 07:02 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

chinahbeng, Post a few photos. Especially on-the-water shots once you sort things out.