Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

DF:

Perhaps they were a movable feature, and stored somewhere else when not on deck? Or perhaps they doubled as the stairs ~down~ in that through-passage between that aft deck and the bridge area? I dunno if I'll put mine on the aft deck, but may place 'em in the through-cabin (and make them the right width for that passage too)

(Guess I posted a little too slow, Rich beat me to things, but I was fairly correct, wasn't I?)

Do the images of the S&S plans that you scanned show them, Rich? I have a copy of the formerly-posted article, but it dinna have the header as yours has. Anyone want me to repost the copy I have for comparison?

I'm going ahead with the planking, and may have to do the lower bow section the same way as the upper bow is meant to be planked. I'm going to see if the local store I've noted outside of the village I grew up in (Manotick - Ojibwa word meaning "island in the river" ) has the thin basswood ply I hope to use. I have some here, but want to have a source for more 'cause I hope to plank the LCM with it.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manotick)

I'm also starting to examine the plans for other stuff I can do out of sequence, like the antenna/radar mast, ladders, life raft, and other things. Anyone have ideas?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Rich404

Hi Whitewolf,

You have a really good point, there could have been a portable ladder aboard, perhaps a boarding ladder! It would make sense to have one due to her size. I don't have any information pointing to one on Dauntless, but that does not mean it was not there. Perhaps it will reveal itself later as new info slowly trickles in.

I agree, the details such as radar mast, life raft and all that good stuff can be started at any time, so go for it!! There was the dinghy and the life raft, I read up on the life raft a while ago. It looks like the same one used on the deck of the PT boats. Then I studied how the real ones were made during WWII. Believe it or not, those military life rafts were made of balsa, then covered in canvas. Talk about simple. I have to check if the Life raft was grey or orange. If it was orange, I have a cool idea for it. I found an orange life vest on the beach a while back in good condition, I stripped it down for the fabric. I might make up the raft in balsa & wrap it in the orange canvas material using a waterproof glue.

The life rings on the side of Dauntless were actually bigger than the castings provided with the kit, so I was thinking of scratch building them and make them removable.

-Rich.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Rich404

Greetings Captains,

For the most part, the paint came out good but on certain edges where it was taped there were some flaws. This was my fault because the razor I used was dull and the tape was on longer than it should have been, so I will have to make corrections, no biggie.

When I go home tonight, I am going to give the hull a good compound. Afterwards, touch up the blue/red where needed, re compound those areas; wax & she should be ready for the next color.

To speed things up and cheat a bit, I decided not to paint the boot stripe in place. This is going to require hours of additional work. Instead, I am going to use white automotive pinstripe and clear coat over it. This way, it is quick, neat and I can focus my energy toward getting the cabins ready.

With that said, I am also trying to get the cabins ready as well, so hopefully if I don’t get stuck working late this week or weekend, they should be ready for a coat of paint as well by the weekend.

If I am done fine tuning the cabins, I am going to make up all the windows from Plexiglas and fit them in place. Then I will remove the plexi, and begin making all the frames. Once the frames are done, louver fames included, they will be glued in place, painted white, then the cabins can get ready to be painted satin white & grey.

Also here is a picture of the floor protected with polyurethane. This was done just before I wrapped the hull for painting so I did not get to show you all.

Here are those pictures.

Enjoy!

-Rich.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90049.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1279542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76371.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1279543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33209.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1279544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55429.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1279545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56018.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1279546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12857.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1279547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23702.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1279548  
Old 09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Rich404

On another note,

Last night I removed the white trim on the cabins where it meets the hull. I recently found that on the original Dauntless there was actually stain wood trim there also, so after the cabins are painted, I will do the same.

-Rich.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Well...

Getting close to the end of the forward lower planking, but took a pause, and did come glue-reinforcing from the inside while its still easily accessable. I should be able to salvage a few strips from the die-cut leftovers to fill in, and will probably NOT use the stock (crap) ply for tyhe nose, but use the surplus balsa I got for doing it, as it is half as thick, and I can easily cross-plank it in two layers for strength.

I've almost finished the aft cabin assembly, but I'm wondering about the accessway cutouts. I don't see a measurement on the plans, but assume you line the cutouts up with the one in the Aft Cockpit bulkhead (F) and just run parallel lines back.

Another thing I did was to assemble the deck roof halves flat, with a single reinforcing strip along the center seam, and when well dry (48 hours min) then curved them over their respective curved cross-braces. I even went as far as to mark the locations on the inside of the roof sections, to be sure they were glued in square port/starboard, and minor blocks to make sure they were vertical as well. I then added another bead to the inner seams, letting that added fillet dry another 48 hours min before releasing the clamps. Nice smoothly curved roof panels!

One thing I ~will~ be doing, like Rich suggested, is probably discarding much of the upper cabin ply, and I'm using .06 inch ply (just under 1/16", birch I think) that I have laying about from renovating my AE decking years ago. I'm going to use it for the forward cabin window cutout areas, with another strip behind it for strength with bigger cutouts to hold the plexiglas 'windows' I'll fabricate. I need to get out to the hobby wood place out in Manotick, as I want to get more thin ply for other purposes as well.

One minor mis-hap though... in attempting to slip the main cabin into place before removing all the frame cross-pieces, I stressed one of the frames too much, and the b*gger delaminated on me. I may end up going through the scrap to make strips to double or even triple-laminate the frames, even though they are only really needed until the hull sides are in place, and epoxy-sealed (or fibreglas's , as per choice) Quality mahogany ply my hairy butt.

WhiteWolf
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Rich404

Hey Whitewolf,

If you are getting near the bow, check out 12 skippers method of adding the bow lip during the original planking. It is on page 4 of this forum.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4688536/mpage_4/key_/tm.htm[/link]

-Rich.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:39 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Rich:

I remember it, and will have a double-chance to extend it when I use the half-thick balsa and cross-plank it. Still a fair bit away from that yet though...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Rich404

Cool!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Rich404

I heard back from the company that is making up the gold lettering for the stern. It is finished & I should have it by tomorrow.

I will post it once it comes in.

-Rich.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Rich404

Hi Whitewolf,

On the above post, you mentioned leaving the clamps on for 48 hours. What kind of glue are you using?

-Rich.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:38 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Rich:

Some form of carpenter's glue, yellow, would have to go get the bottle to get the exact brand. I leave it for that long just in case, would rather be extra-sure its dry than pull the clamps off and find out its not set... right?

Now that I remembered where the bottle is (I load it into 10ml & 25m syringes for ease of application) I note the lable on the bottle is gone. Ah well, its all going to get an over-coat of thinned epoxy once the hull is done. Then i'll finish up the superstructure before dosing that too. My experience with thinned epoxy is it has fibreglas beat for ease of mix AND application, especially for simple slow-set 50/50 two-part types. Been holding off on doing the AE hull so I can dose both hulls at once.

Besides... its not like I'm in a rush or anything...
Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 PM
joe31hat
My Feedback: (5)

Rich,

Can you give me a dimension from the bottom of the hull to the top of the upper structure? Just to be clear the area where the horns and spotlight sit.

Thanks

Joe

Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Rich404

Hi Joe,

Dauntless is 11 3/4" high from the bottom of the keel to shelter top. She is about 10" tall from the chine to the shelter top.

-Rich.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Rich404

Update,

Today I did some blue touch ups on the hull, so I am waiting for it to dry. While I was at it, I took some of the walls, showers, ceilings, etc made up in the past and painted them flat white. All looks good.

I received the lettering for Dauntless today, so that was cool. It looks really good & I cannot wait to apply it. There are 4 of the same decal on the sheet so as long as I don't mess up, I will have extra lettering left over.

-Rich.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:41 PM
12skipper

Ahoy Whitewolf and fellow boatwrights,
The yellow glue being used in my shop is: Titebond II Premium Wood Glue. Franklin International Columbus, Ohio, USA. Questions about Titebond call 1-800-347-glue. Rich I cant wait to see your dauntless decals and your tape boot stripe. The vertical planking shown on page 4 was not plywood, But is the wood supplied by Dumas in the kit. the two darker planks are cherry because I ran out of the supplied wood due to some wrong cuts. Always measure twice and cut once.[&o]

Chuck
Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Rich404

Hi Chuck,

I like to use your bow lip as a reference on “how to” during an initial build. The way you did it there is a great reference photo for Dauntless builders.

Chuck & fellow captains,

As promised, here are pictures of the lettering for Dauntless. I cannot wait to apply it!
Also, here are some pictures of some of the stuff painted white today.

-Rich.

Name:	Us52623.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1282932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37506.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1282933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37973.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1282934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73189.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1282935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39713.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1282936  
Old 09-27-2009, 12:40 AM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich is getting closer and closer to the final goal, and DANG that lettering looks SWEEEEEEET!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Rich404

Hi Dauntlessfan,

This has been some job getting her to this point. Honestly, I cannot wait to get her finished already. All I seem to think about is: “What needs to be done next” “What am I missing” “What should I work on today” “Which approach should I take on making this piece” “When should I start that piece”…. I have put way too much thought, energy…and money… into this project. It has been an exhausting venture, but I love doing it at the same time.

I cannot wait for the day when I can sit back & view Dauntless in her entirety. The moment when I can turn on her lights, peek through the windows, push open a door & slide the hatches for a better look. I also love the idea that I can slip her into water and sail this hearty cruiser at will.

I am not the guy that will build 10 RC boats. I just want one really nice boat & for me Dauntless is the “chosen one”…I have become very fond of the classic commuter yachts and to capture Dauntless’ essence in miniature is all I can ask for.

This November, I plan on using up the remainder of my vacation time to push a TON of work into Dauntless. Hopefully this will catapult her as close as possible to the finish line.

Very soon, I am also going to finally make an appointment to go to the “family” archives in Tarrytown, NY to further research Dauntless. I should have done this a while ago but I have been preoccupied with other things. Luckily, Tarrytown is within an hour from my house so getting there is no problem. In the vast family archives, there is a section with a photo library dedicated specifically to Dauntless. I have to write a letter & get approved for access and make an appointment to view them. It should not be too difficult being that I am a classic yacht historian and Dauntless is my latest subject that requires further research. This should help me wrap up the final details, so I will try to coordinate it to be done at the beginning of my vacation.

-Rich.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
12skipper

Hi Rich,
I wish you all the best on your trip to Tarrytown. Don't forget your camera. Please keep us posted. Sailing season is drawing to an end so Dauntless should soon get some attention.

Chuck
Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Rich:

Not only your camera, but beg for access to a copier or scanner. Oh for the future days when we have portable hand-scanners with memory like digital cameras. Heck, we have the tech today, just not enough demand. I had an HP feed-thru scanner that had 300 dpi, was about the size of two boxes of tin-foil roll though a tad shorter, but it did had neither internal memory nor internal power. If they could do that 10 years ago, they definately could do a self-contained unit now, with even better resolution. Heck, the 'datapads' that they used on 'Star Trek' (TOS) have come to pass, and are commonly used in walk-in medical clinics these days.

Ah well... now if only they would make channel upgrades like Robbe has done for years much more easy to do, and more economical. Also the control stick alterations. Saw a dual-throttle control stick for a Robbe on eBay, and they guy wanted $100 for it (thats the twin-stick pot-assembly alone, nothing else)

I'm slowly working on my unit, still have to get off my lazy tush and get that sheet of thinner ply for reworking the main cabin walls. Only need a 3' x 6" section, but if I need to get a 4'x8' sheet, I can always use the remainder to plank & equip the LCM.

Looking forward to more on that 'special drive project' of yours Rich, and Butch, lemme know when the payment arrives for the shipment. You should get it any day now, or so I'm told.

WhiteWolf

Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Rich404

Hi Chuck & Whitewolf,

I will bring a camera, but probably only to take pictures of the grounds & scenery of the area. This “family” archive center is no joke. Note that I don’t use the last name because the conversation always ends up on google. In order to get access to the archives, you have to be a scholar, or someone having legitimate reason to be there, therefore you cannot just walk in off the street. I will have to carefully word my request and hopefully they will “green light it”. After all, I am not looking for personal info, I just want to see the photo collection of a really rare one-off yacht that happened to be built for & owned by the family that happens to have their own archive center. (I gotta get one of those)

If I do get access, although I can’t see why not, they do allow you to make copies of their photos or copy documents. Actually, they would be more than happy to let you, they just cost between 25-50 dollars for each picture OR page. I am sure taking pictures on the “down low” could result in leaving there in handcuffs, so I will play by their rules.

This place is very institutionalized like everything that bears their name. There is a 15 or so page guide that they want you to read and become familiar with before you even get there. This is so that you are educated enough to navigate through the center without asking too many dumb questions. Yeah, it is like that…lol.

I will go there with a note pad and take very detailed notes and with the help of a photographic memory; I should have everything I need. I will share & describe some of the more interesting stuff I find, and then translate the details, color arrangements, etc, into the model. Actually, I think this will be a fun assignment!

Whitewolf,

The drive project is on pause, but far from forgotten. This December marks 3 years since the Dauntless “Overhaul” began & my wife wants the room that Dauntless resides in back. The room is constantly layered in sawdust, epoxy & paint dust, fumes ETC & she wants it to end sooner than later. I do have to agree with her point because this re build went on longer than I could have imagined. I now have 2 choices, 1) pack up the boat & put her away unfinished or 2) work swiftly & efficiently to get her done. I chose #2, but now have deadlines. One of the biggest hurdles I have is to get her interior/exterior paint ready. I can’t take her outside & paint in the winter so I have little time to make this happen. I cannot go into detailing without the major painting complete. Work deadlines have been messing with my progress, but should end 10/15.

This is also good because I am going to “Push” to get her done.

Once the boat is built, painted, detailed, wired and moved to a display area, I can always go back & work the drive at leisure. Working on the electronics on the boat is not very messy & requires little room to work. Until the drive is perfected, she will be sailed using LIPO.

As always, I will keep you posted on progresses.

-Rich.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Rich404

Hi WhiteWolf,

Quote: Ah well... now if only they would make channel upgrades like Robbe has done for years much more easy to do, and more economical. Also the control stick alterations. Saw a dual-throttle control stick for a Robbe on eBay, and they guy wanted $100 for it (thats the twin-stick pot-assembly alone, nothing else)

It is an expensive unit. I am surprised that other companies did not make it for less. Robbe has something of a monopoly with the twin stick gig.

The radio cost $300.00 and all you get is a standard radio with the twin stick. They also sell all the bells & whistles for it but expect to pay. Just for the optional switches, it can run you from 100-300+ dollars depending on which options you want. They make it simple to install onto the radio and look natural. It is pretty cool, but the price to play is crazy.

-Rich.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Rich404

Hi Captains,

I just put the boot stripe on Dauntless.

Next, I will spray the blue paint & boot stripe with a layer of clear coat. Once the clear coat is applied on this coat, the paint will no longer look dull. Once that is dry, the lettering goes on. Then, one light coat over the lettering.

Finally, the gray paint gets applied.

-Rich.

Name:	Us52799.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1286514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61555.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1286515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21594.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1286516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60094.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1286517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47471.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1286518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54259.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1286519  
Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS

Look'n good.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
werdonmorris
My Feedback: (7)

Rich

All I can say is I really love what you have done with the paint job, on the boat. The lettering is fantastic, where did you get it done. I have the lettering for my boat, but it looks nothing like yours.
I just put my lettering in a old file, and will forget it's there for now. My thing is, I want it right my way, and the printer did not the job right.

I drafted a out a new design for each side of the deck, of how I will want it for the starboard, and port side where the deck rails will be. There is a new twist to mine, and I have filed a patent for it. For there is not another design like it on any boat.

Your friend-Butch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.