Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Hey gang,

I have been pretty busy recently & have been unable to chime in. During that time, I have cleaned up Dauntless & put her on display in my home office until I can resume work on her. She seems to always capture my attention and begs to be worked on & it is hard to not jump in & do work..

Once the weather gets warmer I will be able to sand down some of the painting mishaps and get her properly painted. I cannot wait!

Until then, I am going to focus on finishing many of the odd & end details so that they can be painted and quickly installed on Dauntless during the spring time. As you all know, nothing happens fast on this build and I foresee another year before she will really be where I want her to be, but getting there is half the fun! Slowly but surely, she always moves forward.

Recently, I went to Florida and while there visited the local hobby shop near my best friends house. They had some 3cell 11.1 8000MAH LIPO batteries there for just under $100 each. This was great because it was not too long ago that 5000MAH was a big deal as far as LIPO’s go. Before you know it, I foresee 10,000MAH LIPO batteries hitting the market at reasonable prices. I think that 2 of these at 10,000MAH each would be really good to run those powerful Astroflight motors and give her a real decent runtime. By the time Dauntless will be ready to be slipped into water, those batt’s should hit the market by then.

Hi Rhonda,

Soon I will be in touch with your father. I cannot wait to chat about Dauntless!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Guys:

Anyone heard from Butch lately? Been trying to e-mail, and no replies. I'm hoping he's not stuck in hospital again, as he said his pinched neck/back nerve was finally diagnosed. Also heard his disability status finally got sorted out, to his benefit.

Anyone hearing from him, lemme know if he's ok? With me AFK from the apt most weekdays now, I might miss his shipment, and Posties have been lax about leaving parcel notes.

I'm still working on the bow planking (slowly), and need to find a belt sander before I can do my epoxy-coating anyway. Not to mention a decent day outside (above zero w/ no snow, preferably w/ sun) to do it as it really stinks up an apartment. No, I'm not using the sander on the Dauntless, but her sister the AE. Its a waste to do each hull separately, when I use 45 min epoxy (thinned of course), I can use any leftovers on the other hull.

WhiteWolf
Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

S'ok guys.

Butch is still hanging in there, just having a hard time with health issues, like I often do.

Now that I know thats under control, I can look into that belt sander, and then begin the assorted puttying (re-puttying for the AE as the stripper pulled more than the paint and old FG off the hull!) before I am at the expoy-coating stage on the hulls.

OH... has anyone thought that those pics of the Dauntless cruising at speed can be used for door/window/vent/etc. placement, even if they are not square to the camera? Think for a sec... its all proportional, right? So just take two known reference points on the pic, and then re-align the image (up/down & bow/stern) and then stretch the image to make the fore/aft measurement match the up/down measurement scale. Example, if the image shows the up/down scale as 3 feet is 3 inches, but the fore/aft is compressed because of the angle, you just need to 'stretch' the image to match that scale factor. I'll do a before/after on one of the images, just to show you what I mean, ok?

WhiteWolf
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Rich404

Hi Whitewolf,
Thanks for the update on Butch! I hope that he has a full recovery and joins us soon! I also think about you as well and it's nice to see you back on the forum!
I think that Rhonda’s photo eliminates most of the guesswork . There is less need to tackle angles & such on the side profile becausethe photo was taken straight on and has everythingthere.I remember havingto do some “redo’s” in the past because of the angles in some of the earliest photos. I had gotten into trouble with the 621 Dauntless photo a while back. Even though the photo was taken a few degrees off, it looked proportional enough for placements but later found it wasn’t.I think that some of the angle issues should be minimized with the photo’s we currently have available to us.
Rhonda’s picture is just like the many Rockefeller photos that I had seen with the exception of the change over from white to blue exterior fabrics. Her picture is a great reference for window/vent and gate placements on the port side, not to mention a bunch of other good stuff.
I can’t wait to see some progress pictures on your end!
Since the last time you guys seen my boat, the black window frames were sprayed white. When you are a few feet back, you cannot see the frames anymore because they blend in with the cabins. As you get closer, the subtle frame details begin to appear. They look neat and natural.
-Rich.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Rich404

Hi Rhonda & Dauntless captains;

I had put together a list of questions for Rhonda's father Don. Each time I think of a question, I add it to a word document so that I don't bombard him with several calls. Hetruly is a great resource!

So, if you haveANY questions that youwould likeansweredthat would also be good to add to the forum,letme know so that I can addit to the list.

ThanX!

-Rich.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
12skipper

Hello Rich,
With Rhond's input and your dogged research this build just keeps getting better and better! May I ask if you could post your list of questions here on the forum, so we could add our questions to your list?

Thank you,
Chuck
Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 PM
leebart121

WhiteWolf,

I heard from Butch not long ago and he is hanging in there. things are ruff medicaly but he seems to be doing well.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Leebart:

He 'mail'd me, caught me up. Being both disabled, we have a common bond of sorts. Only real diff is he has to wrestle with the US system, I cuss out the Canadian one (Ontario's ain't too bad)

Some things may be looking up. Looks like the weather is gonna be nice enough to do some work outside this week, if nephew leaves me some time free during the day. Still trying to make some time for pics as well.

The bad news is the 'coalition' (my dad - car owner; myself - driver; & nephew - contractor) has decided the car needs repairs ASAP, so the belt sander is on hold, and the transmission is getting fixed. Makes sense though, as with the car, I can make more dinero.

I'm still trying to arrange to 'borrow' a sander, but mebbe a friend at the pawn shop will let me 'rent' one. I'm sure as heck not gonna buy a new one for one job.

Rich:

Think Skipper there has an idea... if ya post the list, mebbe we can come up with other thoughts on other relevant questions. Of course, as you are the contact, it would be your final decision on which get asked.

WhiteWolf
Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Rich404

Hey Whitewolf,
I had pretty good luck using a small palm sander on the bottom and sides of the hull. I found that the larger the sander was the more of a pain it was to use especially when trying to sand the front bottom half of the hull where the hull curves as it gets closer to the bow. A belt sander will be even more difficult to use because the surface is not flat and the wood/resin is going to be thin enough for the belt sander to eat up. At some point, it will lead to more filling.
During the Dauntless rebuild, I ended up ditching the sander altogether in favor of wrapping sandpaper around a small block of wood and manually do the sanding for a nice finish.
Initially, I use 220grit sandpaper to remove the shine and even out the surface. Then I move to finer sandpaper 320grit, going upward to 400 then 600grit until it is smooth.
Hopefully this will help you get started sooner without spending additional money.
-Rich.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Rich404

Hi Captains,

Here is my current list of questions. I know that we all had questions from time to time, so this is a great opportunity to get them answered.

Do you remember who made the radar for Dauntless?
What was the patch of fabric used for over the bridge shelter? Was it just for looks or did it have a purpose?
Was the ships wheel damaged in the fire? Was it sold with the yacht?
Who made the life boat and raft over the trunk cabin?
What color was the carpeting inside Dauntless?
    [*]Stateroom?[*]Captains stateroom?[*]Main cabin/Salon?[*]Bathrooms?[*]Corridors?[*]
    What color was the carpeting in the bridge deck and rear cockpit area?
    [/list]
    Was there tile used? What color was used and where?
    What was the height from floor to ceiling inside Dauntless?
    Do you know the approximate size of the hatch over the forecastle? It was the flip hatch with the circle window. Was that hatch designed to open both ways? Do you know who made the hatch?

Inside the main cabin/salon, there was a door leading to the forecastle, was there a hatch over the door? Please describe.

-Rich.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
werdonmorris
My Feedback: (7)

Rich, Whitewolf, Lee
I am still here, just going through a rough time with the nerve in my back. Because it took them six years to figure out what was the real problem, they have to remove a valve.
It prevents me from peeing, and pooping at the same time. They are saying the operation will take place sometime in March, sure wish they hurry up and do it now for tired of waiting and the severe back pain.
Whitewolf-Your package was sent by USPS Air Mail this time, instead of USPS Land. Check your email for the bill, and customs number.
I will be working on my build very soon, but waiting until they get done slicing and dicing on me.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 PM
werdonmorris

Whitewolf, the shipping cost a little more then what I charged you, but I am not worried about, for the saw should have been to you a lot of sooner. Could help the first time, for the Canadian Customs had a field day with it. Also, I listed it as a gift, for it is a special gift to you, so you will be able to cut out the a lot better. And it makes me feel great, that I helped a friend in need.
Your friend always-Butch
Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 PM
werdonmorris

Rich my friend, please check your email.
Butch
Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Rich404

Hi Butch,

Thank you for the update!

Hi Captains,

For the last couple of days I was under the weather & home from work. During that time, I was checking out the hatch opening over the forecastle and decided it was an opportune time to start the hatch. I made up the bottom foundation from 1/8" bass wood strips. Then, I cut a piece of 1/8" solid mahogany that is going to become the top section of the hatch. Next I used carpenters glue and glued the wood strips to the bottom of the mahogany hatch.

After the glue dried, I began shaping the hatch using some sandpaper. I removed all the sharp corners and rounded the corners. Now, the hatch is completely smooth and took shape.

I am going to sand the top some more to make the mahogany a bit thinner so that the hatch will be a bit shorter. Once that is done, I am going to use either a half dollar or a quarter to use as a template to draw a circle over the top center of the hatch. The circle will then be cut away to make way for the round glass that will be installed in that area. The hatch will also get a coat of epoxy and sanded smooth for extra protection and strength.

I am going to use a jewlery ring box assembly for the hatch to open and close. This will enable the hatch to stay closed securely or it will be able to be opened up and stay in place.

The hatch will be painted grey to match the deck and then the glass will be installed.

To help keep water out a thin rubber gasket will be glued to the bottom of the hatch just prior to installation so that it seals nicely as it sits on deck. There will also be varnished mahogany planks outlining the inside of the hatch opening. They will rise up about 1/8" above the deck for added water protection while giving the open hatch a classic yacht look. The planks will extend down to the inside ceiling where trim will accent it from the stateroom view.

Final installation will be done when the boat is painted in the spring.

-Rich.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Rich404

Hey gang,

Here are some pictures of the forecastle hatch.I used a U.S. (Kennedy) half dollar coin to make the circle.

-Rich.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48148.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1384652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98537.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1384653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49240.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1384654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27357.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1384655  
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 PM
leebart121

Looking realy good Rich. Keep the photos comming. I have started to get an interest in the Dauntless.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Rich404

Thanks Leebart,

Usually in the winter, my momentum slows with work obligations & such, but in the spring/summertime I will rev up and push a ton more work into Dauntless.

Hopefully there is plenty of stuff here to hold you over until the next wave comes in.

Stay tuned!

-Rich.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:09 PM
flyboy4422

Guys,I just bought a Dauntless and its still in the box.I got some 970 Johnsons to power it but did not go with the upgraded stuffing boxes.Im impressed how you have managed to build such nice models with the vague instructions that they have with this kit.Ive built model planes for many years so building a plane is no problem,also have drawn my own plans for a drag boat and powered it with a backpack gas blower motor.This project on the other hand looks to be a real challenge for the average modeler!Im going to join our local modeling club next month in tigard oregon.Im a little too busy right now to get started on it due to the fact that Im doing Rc Baja shows almost every weekend till end of summer.Most of your building tips will be used in building and finishing this good lookin model.I will put as much deatail in it as possible as you guys did beings that others will be seeing it.I fly scale masters model events too with my 1/4 and 1/3 scale planes in the fall at our lacal field in mollala oregon.Will keep you updated in the progress of it,right now im just collecting parts for the build,THANKS for all your pics and advice for building it.DON
Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 AM
RCForever
My Feedback: (8)

I just got my Dauntless out of storage where it's been for over a year. It's just at the point of installing the ply hull sheets. I'll post pictures of my build but it could take me three years to build this boat.

There's a wealth of information in this thread, thanks Captains!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM
joe31hat
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Everyone!

I hate to do it but I'm thinking about selling my Dauntless kit. I have the hull done with one coat of epoxy plus I have the rest of the wood. I also have the drivetrain.

Any one interested? Don't have a clue on what to asked for it. Any ideas?

Joe
Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
12skipper

Hello Joe,
After having read this entire forum and seeing all that the "Dauntless" has given us, How can you part with your kit?
Rich has brought us along with his project and provided so much history that this boat means much more than just another kit.

Chuck
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 AM
joe31hat

Well Chuck,

I appreciate what your thoughts are but I still have way to many boats to build. Some I already have hulls for and some are just plans. So, I have to 'delete' stock so to speak. Something HAS to go![&o]

Joe
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Rich404

Hi Flyboy & RCForever,
Welcome aboard! Please feel free to join us anytime and we look forward in seeing your progresses on your build!
Hi Chuck,
As always, I agree with you. With all that we have learned about this graceful vessel over the years, it becomes difficult to see her as just another kit.
Hi Joe,
I’m sorry to hear that you are going to throw in the towel on Dauntless. At the same time, Dauntless is one of those kits that take nearly forever to build and I can understand why most of them never make it to the finish line. You have to really develop a passion for it in order to see it through. (And a clear schedule for a very long period of time)
As far as selling a partially built kit goes, I’m not sure how much you will get for it. There is a possibility that if the hull is neatly done, you might be able to sell it for around 3/4 the cost of an un- built kit. Unfortunately with partially built boats, we have to eat the invested labor to make them attractive to sell.
I think that you might lose more $ or take a longer time to sell it if the motors/speed controls, etc; are sold along with the boat. This is because everyone has their own idea of what RC gear should be used to power the boat. A gas guy won’t want to spend the extra $$ for an electric set up or vice versa even if he is interested in the boat.If you don’t plan on using the RC items accumulated for Dauntless on another build, just sell them separately. This way you can re-coup some of those costs as well. This will be contributed to the bottom line when all is said and done.
I do believe that the Dumas prop shafts, rudders, and stock parts (1211) pertaining to the Dauntless kit should be included in the sale and that should be factored into the price, but at a discount.
I think that you will be successful at selling the kit/ RC items on RCUniverse/RCGroups boat classifieds section along with e-bay. Maybe there is someone on this forum that would like a Dauntless but doesn’t want to start the hull from scratch. This could be a good opportunity for that person.
Are you planning on keeping the Astroflight motors for another build or are you planning on selling them as well?
Can you post some pictures of the Dauntless hull in its current state? This could give us all a good visual on where she stands.

All the best!
-Rich.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 PM
joe31hat

Thanks for the words of wisdom Rich!!

I have 3 tug boat hulls that I could start after I finish my freighter build of the SS Alpena. I'll pick a shot that I have of the hull and post it. The Dumas drivetrain will be included but not the Astro motors or the 280D speed controls. There are great motors and the speed controls are balanced out for them. I can use them on another model.

I've got to be honest. I saw a picture of a German police boat and I was going to use the Dauntless hull for that build ( I'll enclose a shot of her too) . When I saw her I was 'smitten', I even got a gentleman in Germany to get some shots of her and rough blueprints. If, by any chance, someone wants to build the police boat, it would be 1:12 build. I'm sure someone will think I'm nuts but I just liked her lines. When I found out she had been in service since 1972 I was floored! Our boat was built in '72 also. The lines are similar.

Will take guys.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41149.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1390670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67473.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1390671  
Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Rich404

Hi Joe,
With a few tug hulls, a freighter and a police boat in the works,this is enough to keep anyone busy for a while.
I really like the Police boat; it is going to be a very cool subject to model. At 1:12 scale, it looks like it will be a big model and being a Police boat; it will be a good place for the Astro 25’s.

How long is the full sized hull?
The design of the Police boat looks British. Do you know who designed/built it?Also, the bow looksawesome on it!

AndJoe, there is nothing nuts about really liking the lines of any particular boat. When you do build it, it is going to be extra special and it is destined to become the pride ofyour fleet. Also, with the initiativeyou already took by contacting people in Germany aboutthis vessel,itis going totake you on an interesting journey. This is like what Dauntless has been for me. In the end, you will have a great model that you will always enjoy. You will also know everything about it making it a great conversation piece when people come over and see it. There is nothing nuts about that! Just make sure that when you do start the build, start a thread on it so that we can follow your progresses and learn something about it as you move along..

By chance, Is this boat anywhere near Frankfurt?

-Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.