Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

confused

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM
scarab63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused

Hello, I'm new to rc boating and know very little about it, could sure use some help setting up my boat. My boat is a Dumas Scarab 38 kv powered with a ops .90 nitro engine. I have no idea how to hook up the cooling/fuel system. I have looked on all the sights and still can not find how to run the hoses for the water cooling or fuel. I also want to run a quad exhaust system.........some people tell me it can not be done..........but in my eyes there is always a solution to a problem. Thank you all
Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
TUGBOAT JOHN

Default RE: confused

Hello, Let me offer you some suggestions. First for the water cooling. Start from the water pick-up then go into the head, out of the head to the header and finally out the hull. Next for fuel. Start with the carb to the fuel tank pick up. Then the tank top vent is hooked to the exhaust for pressure. To fill or empty tank detach or install filler fitting in carb line. For quad exhaust solution. The exhaust could be split into quad however proformance is going to be lost since a tuned pipe is not used. It will most likely drop the rated output to the level of a .60 . Make sure you insulate or isolate the exhaust from the hull to keep the heat away.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 AM
scarab63

Thankyou alot TugBoat John for all great Info. Is there a place the I can see how the lines are ran.(I'm a picture guy) Do you know about the scarab and the ops .90 engines. The tuned pipe is awful looking, big and bulky. I love the look for the quad ..........makes the boat look so much better, Is there anyway that this can be done(we could market it and make lots of money LOL>>).I know about pressures.I work on a/c units.My boat is set up with no room.Thank you again for you time,
Dan
Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
TUGBOAT JOHN

Hello I found this link to a Traxxas Nitro boat it shows the fuel and water lines. Also note the exhaust it is way too small for your .90, but its layout could be an idea on where to start.
http://www.traxxas.com/products/mari...ve_exhaust.pdf
Old 07-26-2007, 04:21 PM
scarab63

John, Thank you once again for the info. This should help me out a great deal.The exhaust system will be fun to try to make work without power reduction.Thank you, Dan
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 AM
scarab63

My boat is allmost ready for the water...........But for a ops .90 what type of plug and fuel do I use? thank you. Dan
Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
scarab63

Hello all,
I have a ops .90 engine. I have been asking questions about how to build it. Now that my boat is built, it's time to run. I went to my local hobb store to get supplies............nobody can help me with the type of feul to use and how to start it. I bought 15% nitro and tried to start it , It did run for about 10 seconds. The compression is so high that I had to buy a $140.00 starter. I can not get it started again. Can some one please shoot me some tips, My 8 year old son is driving me CRAZY. Thank you all, Dan
Old 10-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

its probablly way out of tune on 15% fuel, maybe too rich would be my best geuss as these usually run around 60% nitro...I got my CMB .45 which is also a very performance minded engine to run happy on 20% an get to 40mph...does the carb have a low speed needle and a high speed needle....some only have a high speed as is the case on mine...which means at idle it will need to be super rich to be right at WOT...(wide open throttle)...so that may be something to look into, for your exhaust run a .90 sized tuned pipe then just pipe it from the stinger into a quad tip exit system at the back, then you'll have your quads and the tuned pipe that engine will need to run right...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 PM
scarab63

Thank you Vertical3-D,
My boat does not have a needle valve installed in line. Is this something I should get? The hobby store I deal with only has 15% nitro. I am totally lost with the whole thing. This all started with my son and I going to a flea market, $20.00 for a 54" dumas scarab with a ops .90, and now $900.00 later.Does it ever end.Someone give me a beer. Dan
Old 10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Try asking in the "Speed - RC Nitro Boats forum".

http://www.rcmarine.com/index.html
Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

20 bucks...you stole that thing...theres is there a needle valve anywhere????can you get us a picture of the inside of the boat, yeah and ditto on taking it to the nitro forum
Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
scarab63

Thanks for your reply Vertical3-D, My son is going through alot in his short life and this rc boating makes him very happy. So I will not give up until this boat is in the water and running. I did put 2 more pics online I hope this will help. Again thank you so much this really means alot, Dan