Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Model of Robert Fulton's Clermont?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Model of Robert Fulton's Clermont?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model of Robert Fulton's Clermont?

Has anyone ever built or heard of a radio controlled model of Robert Fulton's paddlewheel "The Clermont" from 1807? Seems that somebody would've done it by now, but I can't seem to find much info on it. I guess years ago somebody did make one, and actually crossed the Hudson River with it, but there are no pictures of the boat and nothing seems to indicate when this was done.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 AM
North River 07

Default RE: Model of Robert Fulton's Clermont?

I'm not and RC'er but I have also been trying to locate an RC model of Fulton's North River of CLERMONT.My intrest is in Robert Fulton and his boats.I located a photo of one on another RC Group's website. I have had no responses to an inquiry. I have also located a fellow who is building a 15' model of the North River. He is building his own steam engine and boiler as well.

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Has anyone ever built or heard of a radio controlled model of Robert Fulton's paddlewheel "The Clermont" from 1807? Seems that somebody would've done it by now, but I can't seem to find much info on it. I guess years ago somebody did make one, and actually crossed the Hudson River with it, but there are no pictures of the boat and nothing seems to indicate when this was done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay73638.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1573021   Click image for larger version

Name:	om34465.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1573022   Click image for larger version

Name:	gd93816.jpg
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1573023   Click image for larger version

Name:	tr50518.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1573024  
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Rich404

Hi guys,

It would be cool if you were to build one of Fulton's boats. Being that he was in NY, there is a really good possibility that you may find information on the Clermont at the Mystic Seaport. See if you can get plans, pics, etc anduse the info toscratch build an RCmodel of it.

Themodel featured in the museum is really nice. Which museum is that? You can also ask them to put you in touch with the builder of that model to see ifthey canhelp you get a set of plans for your project. (It never hurts to ask)

If you do decide to do it then be sure to set up a build log here.

-Rich.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
North River 07

Hey Rich,

I live across from The Clermont State Historic Site. I have been involved with them for approximately 5 years. I have all kinds of information on the North River of CLERMONT. The model in the display case is 7' long.It was built in 2007 and is now on permanent display at the Historic SiteI'm a personal friend of the builder. I sent him drawings and did some minor consulting with him. The photo of the paddlewheel section of the boat is my 3DSOLID CAD model for a display that is being built by a group of volunteers. There are 4 active members who have donated all of their time and a few $1000 to build an animated display of the engine section. The purpose is to demonstrate how Fulton converted the linear motion of the steam engine to rotary motion at the paddlewheel. We have had a couple of public demos in preparation for May 14th 2011 when we officially turn the display over to New York State. I've attached a few more pix.

If anyone is interested in more info please contact via a personal E-mail.

THX

ORIGINAL: Rich404

Hi guys,

It would be cool if you were to build one of Fulton's boats. Being that he was in NY, there is a really good possibility that you may find information on the Clermont at the Mystic Seaport. See if you can get plans, pics, etc anduse the info toscratch build an RCmodel of it.

Themodel featured in the museum is really nice. Which museum is that? You can also ask them to put you in touch with the builder of that model to see ifthey canhelp you get a set of plans for your project. (It never hurts to ask)

If you do decide to do it then be sure to set up a build log here.

-Rich.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qo40112.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1573121   Click image for larger version

Name:	eb87085.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1573122   Click image for larger version

Name:	sq48176.jpg
Views:	20