Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

American Beauty

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

American Beauty

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM
LClark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Beauty

I would like to start a thread on the Dumas American Beauty. I am currently building 2 Dumas kits and one Midwest kit. The Dumas kits are poor as most of you know.

Yesterday while installing the rudder blocks I discovered that the servo horns on the forward outboard rudders will interfere with the sidewall. Then I looked at the picture in the Dumas hardware kit and they did not put in the blocks so their servo horns are lower! Anyone experienced this? How did you solve it? What else lies ahead?

I am also going to add a fire monitor....just for fun....I was thinking up on the bow near the front structure at the first deck. Has anybody added a fire monitor to their ABs?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55642.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	806456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59317.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	806457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34514.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	806458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22315.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	806459  
Old 11-22-2007, 11:52 AM
LClark

Default RE: American Beauty

Making progress, the cabin structure is going rather well, no complaints.

Name:	Cz80110.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	809295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86019.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	809296  
Old 11-22-2007, 01:59 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
looks great ,i found this i am going to us on a gaint scale tug that i am going to build from scatach this winter hope this help rye
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741221
Old 11-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Always Dreamin

Looks very nice!
I have always wanted a scale boat I think I might start looking at them.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:43 PM
LClark

Thanks for the link Rye.

Got the pilot house started, it is quite a bit of work. My wife tells me it is finally starting to look like a boat....

Name:	Fd91448.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	809375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34220.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	809376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18189.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	809377  
Old 11-22-2007, 02:58 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

ok but dont tell her how much $ u put in her lol , heres my last winter boat a 5'pt boat
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...mpage_2/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6109290/tm.htm
my wife thinks that since i build her myself the cost wasnt that bad wow if she knew i be in the dog house lol enjoy building is the way to go thanks rye
Old 11-22-2007, 11:09 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rye

hi
looks great ,i found this i am going to us on a gaint scale tug that i am going to build from scatach this winter hope this help rye
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741221
Hey that's my boat, I made the Fire monitors.

Thanks Rye

Don M.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:18 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Nice looking boat! The only bad thing about the American Beauty is Dumas discontinued it and is no longer available along with the Mister Darby. I bought two barges from Dumas with the intent of buying the American Beauty, and now no Boat. Lucky for me I found one on Ebay Complete kit ready to build Fiberglass hull and all. So is it my understanding that the boat comes with no deck fittings that it is a seperate kit you have to buy to out fit the boat? I'll just be glad once my boat shows up so I can get started on it my self. If I need any tips I'll be sure to get in contact with you. Dave
Old 11-26-2007, 12:19 AM
LClark

Hey Dave, I just bought the deck fitting kit in the last 4 months so there may still be some available from Dumas. Keep me posted on your build.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
roddys

Great start. I have one suggestion make sure that the opening in the front on the main deck is sealed good. The short wall behind is ok , but if the wind kicks up and waves start forming and wash over the deck water will get in and it does not take much to weigh the bow down. Mine spent a week on the bottom, and it was about 50 feet away from the place it went down when i finaly found it. Those mechanical speed controls from Dumas work really good under water.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

On your American Beauty where did you aquire your Kort Nozzles from, because after looking at Dumas running hardware they offer for the boat and the price. There has to be some where to aquire all the necessary hardware for the boat plus with Dumas running hardware it sets the boat up as an open wheel, and from all the info I have dug up on the boat the real boat is closed wheel or Kort nozzle. The props size looks to be about 2 1/2 inch props from the picture that Dumas has, but not sure I'd like to be able to get the hardware ordered so I can have it on hand when the boat shows up in the mail. When you get a chance let me know. Thanks Dave
Old 12-04-2007, 09:26 PM
LClark

Hey Dave,

The kort nozzles were part of the Dumas running hardware kit fir this boat. The first ones I got were cast aluminum I think (in pics). About 6 months ago I ordered another hardware kit (lost part in a move) and the korts were there but they were injection molded plastic.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Thanks for the reply, and that is the Dumas 2339 hardware kit because I was just going by the picture they have on there website and it doesn't show any Kort Nozzles in the picture all you can see is the rudders,post, brass stuffing tubes for the rudders, props, abd shafts. So the Kort Nozzles are made from ABS plactic nice and light, not much help for the ballast thou. Speaking of ballast how much is the boat supposed to weigh when finished. Nothing compared to the Mr. Darby weighing in at over 60 pounds. I'll be glad once I can get my Darby finished. Dave
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
LClark

Hey Dave,

Yes, it is a Dumas 2339. I remember seeing that the pics do not include the korts so I asked them before I ordered it.

I do not know how much it is supposed to weigh.

Larry
Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Well Well, I got my kit today in the mail doesn't seem like there is much to it. Superstructure is all made up of 1/8" mahogany for the decks and 1/16" Birch for the bulkheads. I was really shocked to see that the hull is no more than about 1/16" thick for the fiberglass I wood have thought that it wood a little thicker and it is pretty flimzy, but I guess once the deck is glued in it will take care of that part. Once I get started I'll be sure to keep you p in its progress. Dave
Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 AM
LClark

Hardware Kit

Name:	Ec87784.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	821870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64949.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	821871  
Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
green-boat

The Korts are now in resin.........

I've got some laying around here that are cast Aluminum.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Hey Larry,
Those are some very helpful pics of the hardware kit definetly takes all the questions out of what all is supplied in the kit. Thanks so now all I need to do is get my hardware kit the fittings kit and all the electronics for the boat, and I should be able to get it started hopefully after the first of the year get christmas and new years behind me if you know what I mean. Hopefully soon I'll be able to post some pics of my build. Dave
Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
buckwild
My Feedback: (1)

any progress on the boats?????????
Old 02-04-2008, 11:20 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Larry,
How is the progress on your build coming along, I haven't seen any updates lately. Well to update my progress so far I have been able to get my running hardware for the boat, and I just resently made an order to Dumas to get the fittings kit so I can do the cosmetic touches to the boat once I have it built. The only thing I have left to aquire is motors and speed controls and what ever other electronics I my need to complete the build. Dave
Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Larry,

It has been a while haven't heard anything from you about your build. Where you able to get it finished and running at all. Sure would like to see some finished pics if you have any. Later
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM
LClark

Hey Dave,

I lost workspace in my shed so I could only work on one boat at a time so I have been working on my 47' Coast Guard lifeboat. I will be putting up a new shed soon so I can reclaim my working shed. Hopefully you will start to see some more progress before the first of the year.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:15 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

I know the feeling about how things come up and take presidence over other things that you are working on, I still have a couple of projects that I have to finish before I start on something new. The only thing that I have left to get for my American Beauty is the motors, speed controls, and the radio system I want to use for it, plus the radio will be able to be shared with my Mr. Darby another project that I am still collecting parts for, because I really hate to start a project without having everything on hand that I want to put into the boat. Thanks to Harbor Models I see they have a new running hardware system for the Darby and it looks a whole lot nicer than the hardware package I bought through Dumas, and that is where I am at for the moment trying to decide if I want to get the other running hardware from Harbor Models. I'll looking forward to seeing your soon to be progress.

Later