Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Planking!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Planking!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:32 PM
borabora22
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planking!

Another dumb question but I am good at those. I have got most of the balsa sub planking done on wy Dumas typhoon.

Dumb question # 1 : How in the devil am I going to get these mahogany planks on without getting glue on some of them on the outside of the plank!!!!. I Know the stain will not come out even if there is glue on the surface. I also know that most glues are very hard to sand unless you use an alphatic resin type. But very very slow!

Dumb question #2 : What glue do you guys use?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 PM
patmat

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Planking!

I've built these exclusively with CA. Place the planks with medium CA... if any difficulty, use a dropper (I use an oiler with a hypo needle) to place a drop or two of CA kicker in to set the glue. With the porous wood, there is often enough air to keep CA from setting by itself.
Sometimes I find a place where I need to wick thin CA in under a plank edge... usually no issue with getting the CA on top. Worst area is under the flare of the bow, where planks tend not to sit flat on the underlayment, and end up looking a little bit like clapboard. OK, but make sure the plank edges are secured to one another, or they'll be springy when you sand them. This operation is likely to get glue on top.
But after sanding, you'll not find much problem with the stain. Dumas's water based stain seems to sit on top anyway, as opposed to reallysoaking in, so it works out ok.

Pat M