RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/4688536-unofficial-home-dumas-dauntless.html)

deep sky 03-08-2012 01:24 PM

RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

hi captains im kind of a dummy when it comes to motors can any one tell me what other motors will work iv heard 700s areowflite 25s is there an outher brand that doesent cost a bunch can i use any out of rc cars or planes i dont know brands

Sound Sailor 03-08-2012 02:18 PM

You could drop 550 can motors in it but you will not be happy with the performance. You might be able to find some suitable motors on Ebay at a good price as I have seen 700 turbos on there. I will be brutally honest, and don't take this as mean spirited but rather meaning to be helpful, but I think you have chosen the wrong boat if you need to be on the water quickly and cheaply. The Dauntless is a big heavy boat requiring 2 strong motors, and all that goes along with that, as well as being a somewhat difficult build. You would be better off with a smaller single motor boat right nowin my opinion. Again I just want you to enjoy your boat and sailing it.

Bill

deep sky 03-08-2012 02:33 PM

i have built a lot of big boats but i have only powered them with gas so im only asking the right way other than gas

Rich404 03-08-2012 03:19 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Hi Deep sky,</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Here are links to my two favorite vendors, MACK Products and Harbor Models. These guys have a wide selection of motors and combinations that I think you will like. Go through their websites, take a look at their motors, ESC&rsquo;s and whatever you may be interested in for the Dauntless. Let these guys know your budget , what you need and have them work with you.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Here is the link to MACK Products:</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><font color="#800080">http://www.mackproductsrc.com/mack_power.htm</font></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">For example at MACK: The motor # 3150 might be a good motor for the Dauntless and it should still cost less than a gas motor @ $34 each. If it will work than you would need two of these. Call Rich and seewhat he suggests. He has high end stuff too, tell him your bottom line because he does push the expensive stuff.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Here is Harbor Models. Dave is a great guy and he will help you too. Again tell him your budget and boat and he may have a setup that will work within your price range.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Browse through this site and inquire about anything that is interesting to you. The prices of these electrics should cost less than gas engines. I see a Johnson 970 for 29 dollars. Will it work? Call Dave.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><font color="#800080">http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/motors.htm</font></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">I hope this helps you a bit further. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">-Rich.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"></div>

deep sky 03-08-2012 03:43 PM

thanks im just lost as how and what to power my dauntlass with there are so many combos ill get a hold of them thanks agin</p>

rblubaugh 03-08-2012 03:48 PM

Here's a 700 size motor, (copied from ad) Powerful 12 VDC motor. 1.7" diameter x 2.62" long. 0.2" diameter x 1.16" long shaft is threaded at end.
<span lang="EN"><div>12 VDC @ 1.3 Amps. Prepped with 2" leads,A Great  Heavy duty  5 pole motor for model ships, KV= 1,245,

Got to this link to learn mor about it:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/130298878958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&amp;_trksid= p3984.m1438.l2649<br type="_moz"/> </div></span>

deep sky 03-08-2012 04:35 PM

thanks ill check it out

dauntlessfan 03-08-2012 04:37 PM

Hey Bob, yes I have a few more updates, need to get the pics off my camera.

All this talk about motors....

They make a 970? Wow... that's a big Johnson.

Sorry, somebody had to say it :D.

Rich404 03-08-2012 06:25 PM

Hi Dauntlessfan,

The 970 is a little 'iffy' to say the least. I know guys that ran them with success and another that insisted on buying it and then cursed it... This is why I think he should call and inquire about it. I think the 700 is a safer bet.

-Rich.

deep sky 03-08-2012 06:32 PM

thanks agin im looking in to a pair of 700s if i go with them do you have any thoughts on what esc to use can i use 1 for bolth or do i need 1 for each motor</p>

Sound Sailor 03-08-2012 07:06 PM

Your choice. You can run both motors off of 1 esc or use a separate for each motor. I chose to run each with it's own esc just for redundancy if one failed. You could wire for one and add a second later with a slight rewiring if you felt you wanted to.

Bill

deep sky 03-08-2012 07:24 PM

great thanks  i have learned alot like i said i built lots of big single shaft boats but the largest one berore this that was twin screw was only 36in so i am just learning about non gas

Rich404 03-08-2012 07:25 PM

Hi deep sky,

Because this is a brushed motor all you need is 1 speed control to run both motors. Having two speed controls to run both motors is more of an extravagance for scale maneuvers. Because you are just starting out with an electric setup keep it as simple as possible. Later on you can complicate the system when you are comfortablewith it.

Both Harbor Models and MACK products have an assortment of marine ESC's to choose from. Find a simple ESC that has both forward and reverse andit will be fine. Try to get the ESC from the same place that you are getting the motors so that they can confirm that the motor and ESC combo will work. If you like a motor from one spot and an ESC from another just ask them. I'm sure they can tell you if it will work. Try tolook foran ESC with about 30 AMPS or more to be on the safe side.

I know that you are new to electrics so you will need the following:

2motors
1 ESC (Electronic speed control)
12V Battery

The battery can either be a 7AH Gel cell or a 12V NIMH or NICAD Battery. If you go for the NIMH of NICAD be sure to getit with at least 5000 MAH. Some people will tie two batteries together in parallel to increase runtime. So they will buy( 2) 12V 5000MAH NIMH batteries and wire them together to get a 12V 10,000 MAH battery. Look at (MAH) as your gas tank. The more MAH the bigger the gas tank. The same goes for an (AH) Gel cell.

-STAY AWAY FROM LIPOS FOR NOW-

I hope this helps you a bit further.

-Rich.

deep sky 03-08-2012 07:38 PM

thanks you have bee great help when i get further along i will put up some pix:)

Sound Sailor 03-08-2012 07:39 PM

Heres a handy diagram of how to wire for 2 motors. You dont need to use the sites models of equipment. For instance they show a unit that is basically fuse protection (P95/2). You can substitute a simple fuse there or go without. As Rich said if using brushed motors be sure tio get an esc for brushed and not brushless.

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/...n%20Motors.pdf

Bill

deep sky 03-08-2012 07:45 PM

outstanding one question is the ps95/2 just a fuse

Sound Sailor 03-08-2012 08:00 PM

Basically, yes. If you choose to use a fuse for protection you only need to fuse the + side of the battery. Putting a switch in is a good idea since you should not have power to your esc when the boat is not being used so with the swich you don't need to keep unplugging leads. Fuse holders and switches can be picked up at Radio Shack..
One other thing. Not all esc have a bec(battery elimination circuit) so that will determine whether you have to use a separate 6v supply for your reciever or not. If the esc you decide on does have the bec it will supply the power to your reciever.
One other suggestion. Run your battery leads through an inexpensive terminal strip. That way if you want to add other things such as sound or lights, in the future, you can power them from the terminal strip and not have to do a lot of cutting and splicing of wires.
Bill

deep sky 03-08-2012 08:20 PM

thanks agin i just keep learning

whitemazda3 03-08-2012 09:15 PM

i have read this whole thread and you all have gave me ideas and insparation. i would like to know how difficult this boat is to build. i haveexperience building models but never build one on this scale and one that is RC. iappreciate for your help in advance.

dauntlessfan 03-08-2012 10:06 PM

WhiteMazda - if you have a bit of experience, determination, and help from members on this message board, you can probably build the Dauntless. Just don't expect it to be a weekend project, or a 6 month project for that matter ;).

Captains - I'm wondering about the Dauntless navigation lights and their placement...

US COAST GUARD REGULATIONS FOR BOATS 12 METERS (39.4') TO 20 METERS (65.6') Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 2 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 3 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m.

I know where the port and starboard sidelights go, that's an easy one.

The radar tower displayed a light mounted high on a pole I believe. Was this a 360° anchor light or the 225° masthead light?

Where was the required separate 135° white stern light mounted?

There was another forward-facing light in bow's yacht club flag base assembly. What was its color and purpose?

whitemazda3 03-08-2012 10:41 PM

oh im well aware this is no weekend project, its a year long project. but i am looking forward to it

Sound Sailor 03-09-2012 04:21 AM

Rich may have more definative info but I believe the light on the radar mast was the anchor light. As for the stern light some boats (particularly sportfishermans) actually had the light imbedded in the transom but I don't see that on the Dauntless. Others had it on the sterndeck by the transom butI don't see that in photos. I would think it would be atop the flagstaff at the stern for the ensign but don't see it there either. Interestingly in one pic it looks as though there could have been docking lights in the hull at the bow!

Bill

Rich404 03-09-2012 07:20 AM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Hi WhiteMazda,</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Welcome to the forum. If you are persistent and don&rsquo;t let anything stop you from your goals, you will pull off building the Dauntless. It is not as difficult as it is time consuming. As long as you are in it for the long haul and have other boats to run while this one is being built you will be fine. This boat is not for someone that loses interest fast. This boat can be a hobby in itself if you have the desire to add more details.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Hi Dauntlessfan,</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Here is the navigation light lowdown:</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Dauntless had a bow light on the bow. MACK Products carries the same exact one that Dauntless had. The bow light was a clear lens light because of her size. Small craft however were split and they had a red/green light. The light housing also had a hole on top for the pennant flag that displayed the Tarrytown boat club pennant. She also had a pennant for the Seawanka yacht club on Long Island.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">Then she had the red and green navigation light on the side of the bridge shelter.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">And finally she had a mast light which was on top of the pole behind the radar. This light was at the highest point of the vessel. This was a 360 degree light and it can also be picked up at MACK products for cheap.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">I have not seen any evidence of a stern light. Many boats had them on the flag staff off the transom but Dauntless had a plain teak dowel that was painted in Sea gray that matched the other details on the boat. Today, they are commonly found recessed in the stern like Bill mentioned but this was not common on a boat Dauntless's age.

-Rich.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"></div>

rblubaugh 03-09-2012 07:21 AM

<font size="4">DF,

</font><font size="4">I happen to have 7 (seven) Johnson 970 motors. They weigh just over one pound each and have the following characteristics (according to the person I bought them from):
</font><p class="MsoNormal"><font size="4"><span style="font-family: ">Fan Cooled BIG 970Johnson Motors; From 5,000 RPMat 6 VDC to 20,000 RPM +at 18 VDC - MAX 24 VDC; Great motorfor any of the big48 in. longDumas R/C boats, tugs, trucks, tanks or robots (according to the seller). Motor size is 2 in. dia. and 3 in. long (overall, I checked) with a 5 mm dia. drive shaft .312 in. (or 15mm) long. The motor hasa 7 pole armature for Hi torque;</span><span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: "> <font face="Arial">There are 4 threaded mounting holes on the drive end of the motor with about 4 or 5 mm threads (they measure 4 mm)</font></span>.</font><font size="4"> I've never checked to see which size the threads are since I've never built a large boat, just had dreams. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif
</font></p><p class="MsoNormal"><font size="4">As far as that goes, I've also got some 700 and some 775 size motors. All of these motors were purchased several years ago when I was very naive.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal"><font size="4">Bob</font></p>

Rich404 03-09-2012 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

US Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5&deg;, visible 2 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225&deg;, visible 3 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135&deg;, visible 2 n.m.
WAAAAAIT!!!!!!!

Hey Dauntlessfan you answered the question in your post!!!! COAST GUARD REGULATIONS FOR BOATS 12 METERS (39.4') TO 20 METERS (65.6')

Dauntless was 65'10" long. She did not require a stern light because she beat the requirement by 4" http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

How funny is DAT!

So focus on the bow light, side red/green light and the mast light.

-Rich.