Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Submarines
Reload this Page >

Lets hear about your Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Lets hear about your Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
AQUASUB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lets hear about your Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1.

In this place huses the main board ,ther is plenty of space inside for a ESC and even another component,I plan on installing the Telemitry recorder there .One has to cover the exposed circuits on the board with a plastic sheet of electrical insulation or any plastic sheet will do if not a short will occure from the metal ESC placed on top.All of the power sources are readily available hear and all in one place that can come out in one operation.The BTruster ESC is connected directly to the fuse post and the negative tothe neg terminal ,the output wires then routed below and with a connector tothe BT motor.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99559.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1554211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23923.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1554212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19230.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1554213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39629.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1554214  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM
AQUASUB

The voltage indicator at hobbyking.com,it good but not perfect but is cheap and does show voltage.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
AQUASUB

The 1/8 stainless shaft fits snugly into the Technics male shaft spline then clamped with the shaft clamp.
It is a balanced clamp used in fine mechanisms.
This is how the conversion from a shaft to the Technics input spline is done,also the setup adds a "clutch" to the drive line.

Dave

Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Name:	Hf99807.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1560483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19617.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1560484  
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Lins

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a good complete live action camera/monitor system that you guys are using? I've been reading the posts, but i'm not understanding what setup you guys are using. All I know is that the TT system is not the best, thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 AM
AQUASUB

I use a high resolution unit that is in the wet ,it is a color bullet servailence camara with 30 LEDs and is not a CMOS type.Can be cabled to a surface bouy or to the internal micro DVR.
Leds are important in murky or dark water it realy makes a huge diference.

Dave

Name:	Tr49897.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1575354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69343.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1575355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15756.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1575356  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Lins

So anybody using live cam has to have the antenna going to the surface, or does the DVR broadcast while diving? Thanks for answering, I'm debating getting one of these as I've always wanted this kind of sub. Maybe make some 'arms' to pick things up, etc. down the road. Cheers.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
AQUASUB

Yes those are the correct peramiters and this is the best one and only by far sub made today that will fit your needs !I want to instal hydraulic arms on mine to look scale yet functional and it is possible with this sub,it big enough and made to acsept alot mods so it loads of fun.But better power source is esential if one adds alot of neat things naturaly,a lipo would do the job since more power and less space is needed.

A cable to a bouy is the only way so far to transmit to the surface ,or a dvr records it for later play back,I am working on a wireless system that shows some promise at several feet but I need to go deeper.
Will show the results when I finish.

But get one of these great subs you wont be disapointed there the best out there and RTR to boot!

Dave
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Lins

I am looking around for one, but shipping is horrendous because of the size. The closest hobby shop only has the non-rtr available for order currently.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 PM
AQUASUB

You could build it,not dificult,check out the very good manual on line.

Dave
Old 03-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Lady Di

My SB-1 arrived yesterday - I got the last one from Tower - sorry boys Yes shipping is a bit expensive but the SB-1 seems to be in short supply so I didn't mind paying a little extra to get one from stock rather than waiting 1 to 2 months (maybe more) to buy closer to home.

Though mine was a RTR, having had a good look over it, an SB-1 would be no more difficult to assemble than any other 'mechanical kit' - just use patience and care and it would turn out well. I would have preferred the kit form but the RTR seemed to be the only thing in stock. I have done the Tamiya King Hauler tractor and trailer and the Neptune seems to be of similar complexity and quality (moderate and excellent respectively). Everything on the RTR version seemed to check out good right out of the box though I am waiting for my video components and will do leak-test and ballast trim after the video installation. The video buoy is on the left.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 AM
AQUASUB

She looks great ,you might find the run time from stock is a bit short,I installed a 4.5 amph bat  and a better charger made a huge diference along with larger dive planes.

dave
Old 03-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Lady Di

I have read all your posts Dave - some of those mods might happen for next season.

I got all my video equipment from Range Video and got the camera mounted, the video buoy finished, and everything works great!

http://dianneb.unlimitedtree.com/Pro...Submarine.html

Now I am looking forward to a test dive (if the ice ever melts up here!)

Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM
AQUASUB

Looks good so far but be sure that the bouy is very water tight it does not look very substancial in the sealing area,I would use a PVC Pipe or a short Aquacasing like the one picturted just twrist off the side you like ,cheap clear and made to last a lifetime garranteed not to leak to 30 ft at least!

Let meknow which mod you would liketo start with and any details.

Dave

Name:	Ca83024.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1588459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66146.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	1588460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89497.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1588461  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Lady Di

I had to change my buoy to get enough heatsinking for to 900 MHz transmitter. I am not worried about the new one - it is a cast aluminium case!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 AM
AQUASUB

Is it water tight ,i see no seals?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Lady Di

Yes, it is gasketed.

Having trouble with my 900 MHz receiver though - it runs for about 20 minutes, then the video breaks up and goes out - nothing is getting hot - waiting to hear back from RangeVideo about a replacement.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Lady Di

Got the Neptune wet yesterday - adjusted the ballast weight for buoyancy and trim - had one little leak (my fault) to fix.

http://dianneb.unlimitedtree.com/Pro...Submarine.html

I had trouble with my RangeVideo 900 MHz receiver packing it in after 20 to 30 minutes so it has gone back for replacement.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM
slapchop

Wow, this thread has been a wealth of information. Ijust placed an order for a Neptune rtr. Aquasub, check your inbox when you get a chance.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM
AQUASUB

Enjoy it, they are a  very good sub!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:52 PM
glenladen

G'day all,I've ordered mine from Tower this morning and have yet find the camera/reciever setup yet.

cheers,
Glenn.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 AM
AQUASUB

I don not like the stock video gear ,one can get better at cheaper prices.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Buddy3000

I just purchase a pre-assembled version of the Neptune SB-1. It has been nothing but problems. The range was horrible.Receiver did not get a strong enough signal from thetransmitter with antenna down and the transmitter being right next to the sub. I rerouted the antenna wire accross the notches that already existed. That seemed to give me much better distance on land. In the pool, I get a desent distance to cover the full poolon the surface. I was able to get about 3" below the surface before the protection system kicks in and forces the sub to surface. I've also had to replace the ESC, it shorted out the first time in the pool.

Does anyone know how I can improve the radio range or recommend a radio transmiter/receiver that will perform better. This sub is supposed to be good for 3 meters, I don't see it. I'm very disappointed so far.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:13 PM
AQUASUB

I am surprised that your having so many problems ,i also baught the pre assembled sub and I had no problems like yours ,I did re route the radio rxs antena an just used the existing slits ,I aslso moved the esc up front to acomidate the water cooling system and planetary gear box .I find that the original radio is justa s good if not better than my JR 10 ch digi radio both have excelent deep water transmition capabilty and would not change the radio.There must be something causeing your problem ,sounds like a bad motor  since you said the esc went out als the esc is a very good one and also would not replace with any other so foar mine is excelent.Your motor must be bad and is causing a very bad feed back problem change it ,try just a temporary one to see if that does not improve the performance even the radio will be efected by a bad motor it happens though very rare check also the cb be sure it is not damaged.

Dave SB-2.0  owner see my posts
Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
nick_75au

Pool isn't salt water is it? If it is then reception will be very poor to nil when submerged even slightly

Nick
Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Buddy3000

No, pool isn't salt. Also it's the end of the season so it's barely chlorinated. Dave I've read both of your threads and I'm amazed at the deepths you've acheived. Is it possible to post a picture of how you routed your antenna. I would think that if it's a bad motor, it wouldn't cause interference when they aren't running. When I originally got the sub, with the original antenna routing, with the radio on, antenna down and right next to the boat and the sub on, there would very bad servo flutter, the red light would flash and the sub would pump out the ballest (surface mode). Also I don't think my sub charger works correctly. The LED never lights. I've depleated the battery until the sub will not dive at all, then connected the charger and it still doesn't light. I think it overcharged my battery causing the ESC burn out.

I really love the idea of this sub, but I'm at my witts end with this one. I'm not a true hobbiest, so I don't have a lot of RC spare parts, but I am an eBay fool and can find almost anything (bought the replacement ESC there)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.