Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Submarines
Reload this Page >

Lets hear about your Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Lets hear about your Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
AQUASUB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lets hear about your Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1.

While using a bow thruster to enable camera panning can be considered a good thing, it should be pointed out that a bow thruster WILL NOT enable a moving vessel to turn better. To enable that, the thruster should be mounted in the stern. Bow thrusters will certainly cause a vessel to turn while stationary or moving astern but not while moving ahead.

Skip Asay

I do not agree on the above,why ,if one where to place an effective bow thruster,one that is strong enugh to make a difference in that size of vessel ,than it will change the direction of that vessel no matter if its placed on the stern or bow.

I can assure you that a Captain of  say a large Liner would bring into action all of his manuevering capabilities to avoid a colition with another ship.Many large ships have several thrusters both on the stern and aft some even 6 bays ,I do not think   just to manuever in port.

Dave
Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Skip Asay

"I do not agree on the above,why ,if one where to place an effective bow thruster,one that is strong enugh to make a difference in that size of vessel ,than it will change the direction of that vessel no matter if its placed on the stern or bow.

I can assure you that a Captain of say a large Liner would bring into action all of his manuevering capabilities to avoid a colition with another ship.Many large ships have several thrusters both on the stern and aft some even 6 bays ,I do not think just to manuever in port."

Based on EXPERIENCE, I must respectfully disagree. A bunch of years ago I built a prototype hull and, during testing, mounted an unusually powerful bow thruster. This thing created a whirlpool on the intake side and a maelstrom on the output side. Bottom line: when moving astern, the on deck crew would have required safety lines whenever the thruster was operating. It was surprising how fast the boat would whip around. Moving forward, however, was an entirely different kettle of fish. Except at extremely slow speed, it made absolutely no difference at all.

As far as using bow thrusters on big ships is concerned, the same thing applies. They're used for docking purposes.

Skip Asay
Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM
AQUASUB

As I said it will help in manuevers ,as did you.

Except at extremely slow speed, it made absolutely no difference at all.

Dave
Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 AM
AQUASUB

Hear is the Technics thruster,the beam and motor is for testing only,but the motor size is the one to be used,direct drive and on a ESC.The props are 3/4 inch in diamiter.
The "T'" gearbox has large nylon gears and can be desasembled for service.
Cost for the thruster only about 3 bucks!
Dave
Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM
AQUASUB

pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81056.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1546929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73250.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1546930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63213.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1546931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75558.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1546932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24208.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1546933  
Old 01-17-2011, 04:31 AM
bosreus

Hello,

Hans
Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 AM
AQUASUB

Looks great bosreus ,I see you modified the forward bulkhead good joob,a bow thruster will give you the ability to pan the sub and you still have alot of space left over!

Dave
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Skip Asay

Since the possibility always exists that you may have a need for that panning ability while underway, put the thruster in the stern. 'Tis better to have and not need rather than need and not have.

Skip Asay
Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 AM
AQUASUB

The bow area in this sub offers very easy acsses than the stern as is  true in most subs,also the thrust needed is less since the thruster is not having to push the the verticle stabalizer as well,where as the bow has none,the placement in the bow is the best for both efeciency and rapid movement of the bow.

Dave
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Skip Asay

"The bow area in this sub offers very easy acsses than the stern as is true in most subs,also the thrust needed is less since the thruster is not having to push the the verticle stabalizer as well,where as the bow has none,the placement in the bow is the best for both efeciency and rapid movement of the bow."

I won't argue about the physical properties for mounting purposes but as far as EFFECTIVENESS is concerned, bow thrusters don't work WHILE THE BOAT IS MOVING FORWARD. Period. End of story. In reverse, however, bow thrusters work like gang busters.

Skip Asay
Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 PM
AQUASUB

Put a strong enough bow thruster on the bow and it will move the bow while cruising,simple physics,you just have not seen strong ones in action.
One can argue all one wants but the end story is in the law of physics anyone can see that fact.

Dave
Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Skip Asay

OK, here's the deal. I'm well aware of the fact that whatever you say is to be taken as gospel, so rather than continuing this ridiculous back and forth, you just go ahead and try to prove me wrong. Go ahead and put your thruster in the bow, get the boat moving ahead, and turn your thruster on. Don't forget, for purposes of this discussion, the boat must be moving ahead. Oh, and since you're known for playing fast and loose with the truth, have it on video.

Every statement I make, every example I produce is based on experience and not just what I would like to believe. I've been there, done that, and have the T shirt to prove it.

Skip Asay
Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM
AQUASUB

Man give me a break !Never heard of the laws of physics,I have shown countless videos have you?Does your T shirt give you or anyone proof of what your saying to be fact,show some vids, I have allready .
LETS NOT GET THIS THREAD LOCKED ITS TO GOOD TO BE ***** UP BY HEARSAY.[:'(]
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Skip Asay

"LETS NOT GET THIS THREAD LOCKED ITS TO GOD TO BE ***** UP BY HEARSAY."

"The proof is in the pudding" is a well worn statement. I've already proved this. And it's been proved in the real world pretty much since the very first boat hit the water. But I'm well aware of how you work so all I'll say is for you to try it. Put your thruster in the bow, have the boat moving forward, and turn on your thruster. And do a video.

Skip Asay
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
AQUASUB

No sorry I have no need to do that  for you alone!But you do need to read about the laws of physics there so simple a caveman can figure it out and a vid from your stuff would be apreciated.Your turn.

No more coments on my part sorry[]

Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Skip Asay

"No sorry I have no need to do that for you alone!But you do need to read about the laws of physics there so simple a caveman can figure it out and a vid from your stuff would be apreciated.Your turn."

You seem to be having a problem understanding what I'm saying. I've already proved this but I'm trying to get you to understand what I'm saying. Read my posts.

You keep spouting about the laws of physics but you are the one who doesn't understand them. It's the same as your belief that bow planes are more efficient than stern planes. Have you ever noticed that there are NO BOATS with bow mounted rudders? The laws of physics. Have you ever seen a submarine with bow planes but no stern planes? The laws of physics.

Since I have already proved how bow thrusters DON'T work on a vessel that's moving forward and you don't believe that, coupled with the fact that you're in the process of adding a bow thruster to your boat, why should I have to do this all over again? It's really very simple. Once you have your boat in the water, engage your bow thruster WHILE THE BOAT IS MOVING FORWARD and see what happens. That's not asking too much, is it? The only problem here is that, since you're known for playing fast and loose with the truth, take a video, DON'T just tell me I'm wrong and that "it works great!"

Skip Asay
Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great effort guys - yet another thread in need of being closed - 110% due to your unrelenting bickering.

Do either of you believe anyone reading this is as fixated on which of you is right?

I have asked and asked for you pair to avoid each other and was pretty clear on consequences if you did not.

This is disappointing []

Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
AQUASUB

I totaly agree with you,this guy just does not give it up and is begging to have the thread closed,just for his own sake,I try to show my point of view as politely as passible and still he wants to trash it up.
Oh well Ill just get back to the sub now.

I have not been able to finish the thruster yet as parts have not yet arrived but will post as progress continues stay tuned.

Dave

Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
AQUASUB

video of the variable speed bow thruster just installed on the SB-2.0 ,more details to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4795VZW8Dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oVX-oPDaC0

Dave Amur Sub Yard

Old 01-27-2011, 01:05 PM
AQUASUB

Hear are some more pictures of what I have made to make the sub super manueverable and a very inexpensive mod of about 35.00bucks!

The 6th chanel is used with a micro switch/ servo to engage or turn on the 10 amp micro Motronics ESC that is installed above the power board and still leaves spacefor more,the power is turned off and on at will by this switch and the rudderis also connectedviaa 'Y' harnes so that the rudder stick can also be used and at the same time as the rudder if needed at will.This allows for the reduction in power as the ESC is not needed all the time in forward motion and conserves power.

The moter is a water pump can motor that has a 4mm shaft adapter themotor is glued in place at the bulkhead and a Simitar 4 mm seal is also installed then a 4mm stainless U joint and a 1/8 in adapter or tube from K and Smakes the reduction for the Techknics input components I will show later.

The Thruster uses 1 inch pvc unions cut to fit the props. The hole unit can beremoved for easy service with the 4 screws seen in the pictures,the very nice thing about legos is that the exact possitionis maintained since the unit just snaps into place,the base stays on the sub,I will showmoredetails.

Dave Amur Sub Yard
Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
AQUASUB

The files are large in high def so bare with me.

Name:	Wu61639.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1554122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31812.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1554123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19779.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1554124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32389.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1554125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17215.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1554126  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
AQUASUB

More

Name:	Qo40468.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1554133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95148.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1554134  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
AQUASUB

more

Name:	Fd91028.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1554136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62897.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1554137  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
AQUASUB

The last 2 pics show the exposed drive shaft and U joint ,I went with this designe since the shaft and components would have been harder to service.The shaft is a stainless 1/8 in with a metal screw clamp that holds the Lego input shaft adapter in place and acts as a clutch in case of a jam and can hapen if an object gets in the prop and shroud!
The 4 mm U joint then couples with the pump motor that has a 4mm shaft adapter,the size of the motor is vital as the space behind the bulkhead is about the lenght of the standard can motor ,small size 9 to 12 v Radio Shack size.The pump also has a 4mm simitar seal that I installed into the hole made into the bulkhead it fits the motors bearing as well.The Motor is glued with Goop right onto the bulkhead as well and cools the motor as I found on testing very well.

I had to use a Motronics 10 amp mini ESC it was the only one able to not shutdown when connected with the rudder servo and other electronics in this sub ,3 others would not work.

No major mods to the electronics was needed and it went very well from development to finished mod and I am very happy with it!

The thruster vastly improves the already great manueverability of this great sub to apoint that it can be manuevered with great precision or as they say on dime .

The thruster can be used at will and or in conjuction with the rudder and turned off to conserve power,it is variable speed so that the sub can trck the targets it is vedeoing with much greater ease,befor I had to manuever the sub with only the rudder and that was not very good as takes a long time to get it back on target and by then the sub is out of the picture.

Its fun to wach the sub dive and pirowet down and up that is very cool indeed and at hover.
If your interested in the parts used let me know I can get you the list!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
AQUASUB

The last pic shows the acsses port for the fuse and venting the sub out,when I finish running I open it and a pressure escapes,if it gets too high it vents out via the casings vent seen at the top tube to valve.

I also installed a neat little voltage and amp meter it only about 2 inches long and cost 6 bucks,it flashes amps and voltage and makes for a great on off indicator as well,placed in the side window makes it easy to see.

There is loads of space to install things in this sub even a large extra platform can be made above the bag and I have something special for that space.

The exterior of the thruster ports can be seen here the props are close to the exterior so that maximum flow is achieved,also notice that there is no tube needed as the water is circulated on the inside of the bow.Just paint the props and thats it for them.

One wonders if the Tecknics gearbox and running gear will hold up in use ,well so far very good as water lubes and cools it and abit of silicone lube in the box does the job,these components are tuffer than you think and super well made ,make it well suited for RC Subs ,I have used them for years now.

Name:	Ec89255.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1554193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87058.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1554194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78075.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1554195  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.