Engel TAE or TMAX???

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Engel TAE or TMAX???

Old 06-24-2010, 06:59 AM
tompinnell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engel TAE or TMAX???

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm looking to buy a Engel U177 IX, but i've have 2 options of control system, the TAE or the TMAX. I've read on the Engel website about the 2 systems and it seems the TMAX is the best to go for (Or so it says). I will be new to submarines after building boats for some time and would like some input from people who have been building, and running subs longer than me. If you have any opinions or comments on both of the systems please let me know.
Thank you very much Tom.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
tsenecal

Default RE: Engel TAE or TMAX???

I have three submarines that use engel piston tanks, although none of them are engel subs, and all use a single tank.

I definitely think the TMAX is a more CAPABLE system, I would have no question opting for the TMAX over TAE. It can do more things, but as to whether it is "better" for you depends.

being new to the hobby, you also need to realize that setting up the TMAX is going to be more complicated, and based on what i have seen, you have to be very careful on how you wire it up. Some people seem to have no problem dealing with the engel instructions (i didn't, i found them easy and helpful), but others i have talked with seem to have brains that work in a different, non-compatible way, and they struggle with the engel instructions.

you might consider buying the TAE system, and after you get comfortable with submarines in general, you can upgrade the ballast tanks and swap out the TAE controller with the TMAX controller, and maybe re-use the TAE system on your second sub

it definitely helps that you can converse with other submariners near you. perhaps one of these fellow submariners who has built an engel can let you take a look at their instruction manual and you can decide from that what level of comfort you have with them.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:03 AM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Tom,

The biggest difference between the TMAX system and the TAES is the ability to change the volume of each individual piston tank, for balance or trim. You will need a transmitter radio with two proportional sliders to be able to do this. If memory serves me right you also need an extra channel for this feature. So you would need at least a 7 channel radio. In this role, the venerable Robbe F-14 works well. I currently have a Typhoon with the TMAX and a Gato with TAES. Both are VERY fine systems and rock solid performers. You can't go wrong with either.

As for building an Engel boat, they are works of art to be sure. Engineered very well and excellent performers. However, after building a few of them, I would not recommend them to someone that has never built one. If you have your heart set on one though, a good choice may be the Lafayette class boat. I built one of these several years ago, much easier to put together and trim out and could be considered a beginners boat. I have a few pictures of ours running in Carmel Indiana a few years that are posted in my gallery. Check it out if you wish.

Hope that helps,
Pete
Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 AM
tompinnell

Thank youthat is really helpful.

Unfortunately there is no local Sub club so don’t have anyone to ask these sort of things.I’m glad I found this forum as there is a lot of information on here that I’m finding useful.

I’ve been building RC boats for about 15 years so I have some experience in model electronics, and also I’m an Electrical engineer, so I’m hoping I will know what I’m doing (probably won’t!!). I was looking at other subs from a company over hear in the UK called OTW designs. They have some nice models butI don’t think you can beat the look of the World War 2 models, and the Engel models are fantastic. I have been looking at a lot of pictures of them and fair play there are some fantastic models and some of the engineering by people adding extra details is amazing. I have to admit though the Typhoon is very impressive.

Thank you again for your help it is much appreciated.

Cheers

Tom
Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 PM
tsenecal

tom,

"local sub club" is a relative term...

you should try to contact these guys, they would be a big help:

subcommittee GB (official forum link):
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...06994e101ed6af

I believethe subcommittee member "Sub culture" is the GB subcommittee president, he is in London, if anyone can get you in contact with a local member / submarine owner, it would be him.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Taxidriver

With 15years experience with boats, you should have no trouble building a kit or butting together a hull and WTC together. If you like WWII boats, the OTW range trumps the Engel subs interms of accuracy and appearance. The Sclass and the Type VII inparticular. Engel kits are more complete offerings whilst OTW is for the more experienced modeller. If you want to contact local submariners try posting in one of the UK sub/boat forums like Model Boat Mahyem.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:00 PM
2daice

I built the U177 last year and just took iy out of the water Sunday. It is a challanging but fun build. I used the TAE set-up with the F14 radio, 2 magnetic on/off switches, a pressure switch,their self leveling switch. The only thing I will suggest is that you read the instructions and e-mail them with questions. The biggest challange is to make sure you can place all the items into the sub before you glass the water tight compartment in place. It took me many attemps as once you glass the compartment in place you won't have the access. Once you are done it is a ton of fun. I have about 100 hrs and no problems. The only thing I added is a 3 ft 1/16 steel wire so when I dive in the lake I know where it is.