Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My Pershing project

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Pershing project

Hello all Im kinda new to your forum I acquired a HL M26 Pershing that is missing some detail parts like tow-cables/hooks, 50 cal mount, TC and others. Anyone know if there is a shop I can get these? It runs good but needs new battery, gun tube needs new recoil unit, I had a terrible noise in the right track so I tore it open greased the drive gears and then all the roadwheels and arms now it is almost quite. I plan on trying to detail it with authentic unit markings like it should be. Also what are the ELMOD?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Pershing project

Oracus,
You can go to the Mato Toys web site and contact them. Tell them what you need and they'll get back to you with-in a couple days. Real good service. There is also ETO armor as well as some other suppliers. just read some of the threads and you'll get a good list, or look at the thread about suppliers at the top of the forum page.

Jim
Old 11-07-2010, 11:44 AM
googlydoogly

Welcome to the RC tank hobby! If you want just the stock parts, Mato toys is the best place to get them. If you want upgraded parts or decals, etoarmour is an excellent source for those parts. If you want the ELMOD, which will basically make your HL Pershing run like a Tamiya or even better, rctankwars is the best place to get them if you're in the USA.

The thread about suppliers list RCCommand as well. They have a lot of good stuff listed, but avoid them like the plague, until they resolve all of their problems, and refund people their hard-earned money.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:42 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome aboard. The Pershing is a good runner and can be made a whole lot better by adding elmod to it. Rctankwars has everything you need to make this a  great tank.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

Yellowshaker's advise will cost you about $350, though your tank will sound and run like a champion
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

nah, 250 or so.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:08 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the collectors corner. You can upgrade to El Mod and have the ultimate performance, but it's very expensive. Depending on what era you want to portray, WW II or korea, there are a number of things that need to be done if you are at all interesting in being historically accurate. The HL is a Korean War era M-26 so generally, track skirts should be removed, aux persicopes for driver/bow gunner should be Dremelled off and plated over, coax machine gun hole in mantlet is missing and must be drilled out and fender braces should be added (simple scratch build). The MG ammo boxes on the track guards (fenders) should be secured by bars or cables, (or skirts folded up) and oil can hanging loose and upside down on the right rear fender should by stood up and secured. If you're going WW II , remove the rear telephone box and you can leave the skirts on and no fender braces. The 90mm gun is also about an inch and a half too short. Anything laying on the back deck should be secured by rope or straps and helmets are stored inside the tank or next to the hatch. Small items as tow cables, tow hooks, cal 50 MG & pedestal from Tamiya can also be ordered thru Karen at Danville Tank Museum. [email protected]

Good luck
Old 11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the WWII pershing only had one set of periscopes on the front hatches???
Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 PM
pattoncommander

The first 500 had hatch scopes and aux scopes (like shermans) next to the blower housing, non movable. The aux scopes were discontinued when the smaller 400 cfm Rotoclone blower was replaced with the 1000 cfm which left insufficient space for the aux scopes. Lt Grimball's tanks in Op. Zebra in April '45 had the early models and two had the "new" dble pin chevron tracks. Korean War Pershings had only hatch scopes. Previous p-scope mountings were welded over and a round cap was welded over the weak spot.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Oracus

Thanks for the info it give me a starting point. ELMOD looks like abit much for me right now to replace the stock tx/rx as the only other good radio I got is my DX7 for my helicopters. I might look at it again later on just not now. I think Ill focus on the scale detail and general smoothing out the tank at the moment, and maybe when I pick up another one possibly a IR system. This is also a NON- S&S tank.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM
pattoncommander

Oboy[X(]....Non S&S is a total waste unless you are looking for parts tank. Best is to swap to a later HL S&S electronics, but either way, you will have to get rid of that toy market electronics system...it sucks. [:'(]. El Mod is great for realistic movement and sound, but very sensitive and costly.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
YHR

Non smoke and sound electronics are terrible. I would look at at gettting and RX 18 and a DBC 2 from Phil at Rctankwars. This will allow you to make use of your high end radio, at about 1/3 the cost of El Mod. This will also get you momentum and an IR battle ready tank.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Oracus

Can I use stock radio with the RX -18? I do not want to mod my current DX7.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM
YHR

No, the stock radio won't work. But the DBC 2 works with the RX 18 so you won't miss the stock radio at all. No mods are necessary to your Spektrum radio. You just need a receiver.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 PM
dash69

Can you adjust the amount of momentum on the DCBU? Mine is using the rx 18 board in a Pz3 with stock radio. Also can I change the stock radio to a Spectrum 5?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: dash69

Can you adjust the amount of momentum on the DCBU? Mine is using the rx 18 board in a Pz3 with stock radio. Also can I change the stock radio to a Spectrum 5?

The momentum is either on or off. It is just enough to smooth out the speed curve without it being a real driving hazard.

I have a Spektrum 6i and it works fine. I also just set up a cheap Aero sport and it works fine. The DBC supplies power to the reciever so you don't need the receiver battery pack.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: Oracus

Can I use stock radio with the RX -18? I do not want to mod my current DX7.

Oracus,
You can order a Sound Smoke upgrade kit for about $66.00 The upgrade will give much better speed control, main gun, MG and engine sound effects and of course smoke, however that usually stops working in a couple minutes anyway. The $66.00 is about half of what you'll pay for a new tank from the reputable sites, or about the price for a new tank from some of the other sites, but you may be taking a chance from ordering from them.

Jim
Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Oracus

ORIGINAL: YHR

No, the stock radio won't work. But the DBC 2 works with the RX 18 so you won't miss the stock radio at all. No mods are necessary to your Spektrum radio. You just need a receiver.
Ok I thought I read somewhere to use Specktrum TX you had to mod the left stick. This sounds like a good option for me.

Kyle
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Oracus

Ok got another ? Metal drive gears I see the standard steel gear ratio and the brass 3:1, what the pro to either one the 3:1 probably give more torque right but steel gear will last longer.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM
dash69

IMO the 3 to 1 gears are worth the upgrade. They make a huge difference in the way the tank operates at slow speed and climbing hills etc. Mine lasted about two years in my Pershing. THE 3 to 1 gears do need a solid base to mount to.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 PM
YHR

3:1 gears are one of the best upgrades you can make. The tank performs so much better with the lower gear ratio.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Oracus

Ok 3:1 gear will be installed next. Now for paint the stock HL color looks too dark, what spray can color is close to correct?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 AM
1sgt

Flat Olive drab. The only color used by the US Army.

Jim
Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Oracus

Ok I guess what I meant was any brand have a better realistic color like Krylon, Testors, House of Kolor, Rustoleum.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM
YHR

Krylon makes Camo colors. The green is OK .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.