Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hang Long Tiger I

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 PM
jondonnis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hang Long Tiger I

Sorry if this has been asked loads of times but even using the forum search I can't find it.

So, I'm in the middle of purchasing a Hang Long TIger I from Maplin. Reason? Because we were at work, flicking through the Christmas bargains catalogue they sent. Saw it there and just wanted it. Not interested in joining a group or battling with them just want it for the odd drive about fun.

So my question. At Maplin, as I said elsewhere, I can get the smokeless version for £55.99 So I've ordered that. Reason being as I can't bring myself to jusitifed £86 on the smoke and sound version. What I really can't seem to find is pictures of the differences between the two and the differences in bits inside. Not that I'm engineer so maybe won't understand the inside.

My understanding from what people have said here, is the S&S one has different speed settings. How does this work? Is their a switch or is it just how much you push the stick? If so it's just a switch and you can get the same effect on the smokeless by just pushing the stick slowly, is it worth the extra?

Also I see these El Mod comments, what is an El Mod?Tried searching for that but can't find what it's about.

If I'm not interested in adding these IRthings I see on top of the tanks, for battling, is the smoke one still worth it? As I've read here and been told by the local model shop, the smoke and sound is notoriously unreliable.

If I got the smokeless one and liked it and enjoyed it I assume most of the insides are the same as the smoke one, like the gears etc? If not, can they be ripped out and replaced?

I see some threads that say for the extra $10 you can get the smoke. But that's the issue. Here in the UK, it would be an extra £30, which is, for me, a lot of money.

Be gentle

Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Imnotanace

Default RE: Hang Long Tiger I

If you are going to use this for fun and running around and no upgrading that will be fine. The non s&s version has a 2 speed fast slow and the s&s version has better electronics in it and has a 10 step speed from slow to fast. and the sounds are worth it alone. If you buy the non S&S and want to upgrade later it will cost you about $60 more as oposed to $20 at the start.
As for the ELMOd these are upgrade electronics you can buy as aftermarket parts.
Ron
Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM
harleridr

Hi
I'm new here too and just got the smoke and sound because it has a progressive speed control where as the smokeless is a two speed and I believe plastic gears instead of steel. Talk to Blitzkrieg he has good info.
Harle
Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi
Although you just want something to thrash about, I would still go for a smoke+sound model. They are much more controlable as opposed to the non S+S's fast and bloody fast. If you check out the "bay" you can probibly get the price down to about £70 inc p+p
Frank
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HARLERIDR

Hi
I'm new here too and just got the smoke and sound because it has a progressive speed control where as the smokeless is a two speed and I believe plastic gears instead of steel. Talk to Blitzkrieg he has good info.
Harle
The lower priced smoke and sound version has plastic gears. How do I know I got a set sitting in front of me from my $79 Tiger I S&S .
The "upgraded" version with metal tracks has the metal gears.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:36 PM
jondonnis

Well if the s&s has metal gears then I guess it would work out cheaper getting that version. Because I maybe interested in metal tracks later and apparently they are better if you use metal gears.

I'll have to see if I can get hold of Maplin tomorrow to cancel. REALLY annoying that they don't have the option to cancel online, you have to call them instead.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Spitvalve

You'll want to ask about the metal gears, there's still many out there selling the S&S version with plastic gears. And the plastic gears are quite good (in my fairly normal driving world). Personally, I'd get a S&S version as cheap as I could and after saving some cash, put in a 3:1 gearbox, either in metal, or modify the plastic to 3:1. Much more realistic speeds, better torque, less jackrabbitty action if you're not super smooth on the controls.

For the odd drive about for fun, I think you'd be quite satisfied with the plastic S&S. If you find you really like RC tanking then go crazy! Spending money on these is never a problem.

Mike.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy anything other than a S&S version, unless you want something to disassemble for parts. The non S&S has very poor control and either full speed or stop. You can always upgrade with better electronics, but why the hassle when you can buy the better one in the first place. The S&S has engine and weapons firing sounds along with variable speed control at the stick but realistically, the smoke is not realistic and you can shut it off.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

What ever you get, it can be upgraded later. Some upgrades are better done at the start, like S&S and metal gears, but anything's possable later. I would get S&S with metal gears to start, then add whatever seemed to be logical later.

I still have my original nonS&S Pershing with plastic gears running around fine after 3 years.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Warlord_Link

If I buy, I will buy S&S with upgrade metal track, drive wheel, gearbox.

I have deal with Factory to order Tiger I tank with upgrade black metal track, drive wheel, 3:1 gearbox and also upgrade all wheel in metal, metal suspension in black color, metal track tensioner, strong spring etc .

All of this, It cost around $120 for Tiger I and I think it worth if you upgrade all once.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 AM
jondonnis

ORIGINAL: Warlord_Link

If I buy, I will buy S&S with upgrade metal track, drive wheel, gearbox.

I have deal with Factory to order Tiger I tank with upgrade black metal track, drive wheel, 3:1 gearbox and also upgrade all wheel in metal, metal suspension in black color, metal track tensioner, strong spring etc .

All of this, It cost around $120 for Tiger I and I think it worth if you upgrade all once.
That sounds good, if only we could get it that cheap in the UK, but we get screwed and it costs considerably more. I've spoken to the local model shop who've said they can get in the metal upgrade ones, that come with metal gears and metal tracks (don't know what else is metal) for £149. As I've been told my job contract is being extended I might splash out on that version. Mainly because the only place I can see where I can get the metal tracks was here

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...l-upgrade-set/

And ModelZone do metal tracks and gears but I'm assume would be more because of the gears. So would work out cheaper to get the tank with them already done. Means less hassle having to work out how to do it myself.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 AM
jondonnis

Is it Tiger I as in Tiger Eye or Tiger 1?

Guy in the shop confused me as I called it Tiger I but he said Tiger 1.  Unless I'm confusing the I and it's actually a Roman numeral
Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jondonnis

Is it Tiger I as in Tiger Eye or Tiger 1?

Guy in the shop confused me as I called it Tiger I but he said Tiger 1. Unless I'm confusing the I and it's actually a Roman numeral
roman numeral