Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wiring up a sound card.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wiring up a sound card.

Here is a quick little tutorial to show you what you need to do to add the $12.00 sound card to improve the sounds on the Heng Long.

You start by buying the USB2m card from 123 electronics

[link=http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2841/.f]Sound card supplier[/link]

Once it arrives you cut plug it in to your computer, down load the software from the 123 Electronics site, and load up an engine sound from a file.

Select looping, high qulaity sound and the button play and stop option.

Once the sounds have ben recorder, you can loose the batteries and the speaker.

Get a 7048 voltage regulator, and wire up the sound card as per the diagram. Make sure you bridge the switch contact points with wire

Once the card is wired up it is time to add it to the Tank. Hook the power supply wires up to the RX smoker jack. I use small pins and just shove them in to socket in the smoker jack. Run one wire from the speaker out terminal points with a 22k resistor inline. Terminate this wire on the middle tab of the volume control.

There are only three wires to connect to the RX 18. Two wires from the smoker power supply to provide power to the circuit, and 1 speaker wire to the volume control.

You are done

Fire it up and see what you have done

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5r4R6Gpjzs[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55636.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1529388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52648.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1529389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53564.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1529390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43775.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1529391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs94963.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1529392  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Wiring up a sound card.

the photos are not showing?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 PM
YHR

Ya I think the forum is still a little wonky
Old 12-03-2010, 06:29 AM
shenlonco

Yea i found out when you upload only 1 or 2 photos with the non bulk uploading method and hit ok it will work properly then you have to edit the post and do the same to add photos or it all comes out a big mess when uploading a lot of photos and just hitting ok to post .
Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 AM
shadowwolf65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great idea.I have one question where do you get the voltage regulator from I`ve looked for one but can`t seem to find one.Also do you think it would be possible to use this even without a DBU system installed.In other words could you just hook it up and just run it with out it or do you need the DBU to trigger it.<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>
Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 AM
YHR

This works fine on a stock Heng Long. You do not need the DBC. The Tiger is just HL electronics and nothing else

[link=http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/LF50CV/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvHdo5hUx%252bJYiAeqxzJAfqa]Voltage regulators[/link]
Old 12-03-2010, 07:22 AM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What if supplying power from the HBU+/- 4.5V connectors?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: borealis

What if supplying power from the HBU+/- 4.5V connectors?

You can do that, but then as soon as you turn on the tank the idle sound will start. The RX delays sending power to the smoker switch until the tank starts. Using this feature with the sound card allows you to make use of the Heng Long start sound, as well as giving you the option to turn off the sound from the transmitter.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
shenlonco

HEY YHR Please edit this post copy all of it and stick it in the frequantly asked ?'s thread this is a good one and should be pinned in there as a heng long sound upgrade!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:06 PM
shadowwolf65

I have a question about this.I just got one of these cards and going to install it this weekend , when you hook the speaker wire to middle tab on the volume control do you mean the part the white wire is going to.The reason I`m asking is I just don`t want to mess it up by hooking it to the wrong tab.Thanks again for this info can`t wait to hear what it sounds like.

shadowwolf
Old 12-17-2010, 04:16 PM
YHR

I'll try an post a picture of exactly where. HL wires could be any color on any given tank
Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Gerula

Can this sound card play songs? I'm thinking about making a tank play "Lily Marlene", "Panzer rollen in Afrika vor" and so on. The problem would be triggering a song only when giving the command for it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0hyDY4a31k[/youtube]
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM
YHR

Yes the sound card can record 120 seconds of sound I believe. You could hook up a mechanical connection on the turret. When you rotate the turrent to a certain point a connection could be made and the sound card will turn on and play the song.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Gerula

Thank you, that's a great idea .
Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 AM
shadowwolf65

I have an idea what if you could power this off the airsoft power leads.I don`t use the airsoft gun anyways,so how about wiring the card to it.That way when you push up the left stick it will activate a voice command,such as open fire,move out etc. Would any body know what the voltage is running to the guns motor,because this is something I`m going try if it works good if don`t well back the drawing board.<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

YHR this is clever, good stuff. As I have a RC2HL I'm interested. Dave designed his unit to use up to two of the
other type of sound cards right? one for 'hit and death' and another for fire sounds. Does your solution take the place of
one if these? It seems that the main benefit, and a substantial one, is that you can download directly to the type of
sound card as you used for much better sound quality. By looking over the specifics of the card it would appear that there is only
one long sound clip on the card, no way to address separate sections for multiple use? Is this essentially the facts?

Jerry
Old 12-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

I'm going to try one of these after Christmas. Where can Iget get a better, yet cheapish speaker?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:44 AM
angusx

Missed this first time around. Great idea, real improvement and inexpensive too
Old 12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Tanque

YHR this is clever, good stuff. As I have a RC2HL I'm interested. Dave designed his unit to use up to two of the
other type of sound cards right? one for 'hit and death' and another for fire sounds. Does your solution take the place of
one if these? It seems that the main benefit, and a substantial one, is that you can download directly to the type of
sound card as you used for much better sound quality. By looking over the specifics of the card it would appear that there is only
one long sound clip on the card, no way to address separate sections for multiple use? Is this essentially the facts?

Jerry

Yes you are correct. You could have three of these and Davids DBC would trigger each one. The forth one could be used to play a continous digital recording of an engine idling. You would end up spending $50, but you would have a tank that developed some nice sounds. You are also correct in that the quality is good, becuase you are playing digital wav files.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: shadowwolf65

I have an idea what if you could power this off the airsoft power leads.I don`t use the airsoft gun anyways,so how about wiring the card to it.That way when you push up the left stick it will activate a voice command,such as open fire,move out etc. Would any body know what the voltage is running to the guns motor,because this is something I`m going try if it works good if don`t well back the drawing board.<div_prefs id=''div_prefs''></div_prefs>

You need to ensure they are running common grounds, and I think this would work. I purchased a bulk supply of 5 volt regulators and I use that to supply power to these things.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Eggman1965

I'm going to try one of these after Christmas. Where can I get get a better, yet cheapish speaker?

Check out Walmart. I purchased a really good amplified laptop cube speaker for $5.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a site called parts-express.com
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-861
I use this speaker, it works great, even with out an enclosure. would sound even better if you have room to make a small enclosure. wont fit in a stock HL speaker box, but you can get one of the small electronics project boxes on any electronics supplier site. I use MP Jones.com .They have a lot of different sizes.
There was just no room in my HL/Tamiya Pershing conversion project to fit a box so i have the speaker mounted to the under side of the upper hull between the gear boxes.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM
STO_118

Ignore the blurb at the top, looks like it copied the header from Word.

Hey YHR couple of simplistic questions for you. Being a mechanical minded person my electronics experience is limited to playing with computers. So I am kinda lost on this whole thing.
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId"><meta content="Microsoft Word 12" name="Generator"><meta content="Microsoft Word 12" name="Originator">

So question time!

1. I take it you are piggy back onto the standard Heng Long speaker and volume control, or are you using the speaker supplied?
  2. I am presuming all a voltage regulator does is...well regulate voltage, in this case reducing it to what the card can handle?
  3. Would it be possible to wire the 123 sound cards power supply to the motors power. Essentially I would be looking for the sound to play when the tank moves and I was thinking perhaps of wiring it into these wires.
  4. I take it the sound card could not be set to play a proportional sound, i.e slow it down when moving slowly, pick it up when moving quickly?

And a final barrage!

Last but least, Iam looking to wire it into a particular type of RX18, not the one with diesel chatter or clanking tracks. Typically this type has a low sound output, would wiring this card affect that?Does it have its own pre-amp or could I fit an amp in-between the RX18 and speakers. If so any recommendations from your experiences and what is the max limit on the stock speaker?

Thank you!

</meta></meta></meta></meta>
Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 PM
YHR

I piggy back off the HL amp do amplify the sound as shown in the diagram. A 22k omn resister balances the sound between this card and the Heng Long sound.

This card can only handle 5 volts , so do not hook it to your motors. The voltage on the motors will be at time in excess of 5 volts and the polarity changes when you change direction. To hook it up to the motors you would need some diodes, and a voltage regulator.

You could dod some interesting things, but there would be a lot of wiring, regulators and diodes involved, and multiples of these card in use.

What I have described here is a cheap easy way to enhance the Heng Long running sound. Because tanks are geared low a good quality sound of a fast idle does a good job of representing a tank in motion, asking for more then this out of this card is not possible.

The stock speaker is garbage. Sound Oks in a greeting card,but that would be about it.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
STO_118

Thanks for the reply, I suppose there is a work around. I intend to fit a proportional smoker.

These tap into the motors but I believe draw power through the RX 18. Working out how and where from they change piston speed I could maybe use that to tell the card when to make some noise. The RX18 I have just has engine idle and a proportional running speed but it has no track sound. My idea was to use one of these for just track sounds, and perhaps another one for the MG34 or firing. As the standard sound for this particular RX18 doesn't really sound like a MG34 and you can't really hear the noise of the main gun at all.

Then again, if I am fitting so many boards it might be economical, and easier to buy a dedicated sound system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.