Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

White Wash an Su-85: DAK labs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

White Wash an Su-85: DAK labs

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Default White Wash an Su-85: DAK labs

Ihad a few days off after tanks-giving and had the time to fulfill a client request for a paint job on a long sufferring and finally complete Su-85. This tank has changed hands a few times in the DAKclub and to come back to me for a paint job is full circle.

To begin with, the model was completed with a coat of Tamiya Field Grey and sealed with Testors Dullcoat. Itook apart the Tamiya TBU to match the work on the hull.

Step one is a coat of Hair Spray. This will allow the white wash to be chipped, scratched, and rubbed off the original dark green.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89013.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1529393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91758.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1529394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61540.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1529395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59821.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1529396  
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM
HondoBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: White Wash an Su-85: DAK labs

This tank is a BEAST!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:57 PM
edoubleaz

Next you need to do a white wash with regards towards the real process. Most washes were a pasty goop, sometimes even just lime and water, applied with brushes, rags, mops, or even brooms. Some units had the option of a spray gun to apply it evenly and Idecided to lean in that direction.

Now comes the humor of this evoulution. I had two bottles of Tamiya white to be my coat and I of course used the mostly empty bottle first. I managed to coat the left side and rear before needing to hit the secon bottle. Iopened it to find the secon bottle of white was really a lightened dark yellow mix made by a colleague before he gave me the paint.

As the hairspray was a time critical issue Isearched high and low before I found a bottle of Delta Ceramcoat (you know, the cheap stuff you can buy at Michaels). Idecided what the hell and mixed a batch with Testors universal acrylic thinner and shot it from my Iwata. The paint went on really translucent and really developed a specled look I would never be able to develop on purpose.

Once the intial paint was dry I went to work with a sock, yes a sock, and rubbed away the paint above the hairspray. Iweathered with brown tan and grey and Voila!

Name:	Yv65966.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1529457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35049.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1529458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek14999.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1529459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30580.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1529460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se45858.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1529461  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for the tip about the hairspray, I like the idea of winter camo but did not like the idea of a white tank in the summer.

You said the hairspray was time critical, what do you mean?

How hard isit to remove thewhitewash later?

That tank is cool looking.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:35 PM
edoubleaz

Ihave learned that if you let the hairspray dry too long it is more work later to remove. If it is still a bit wet you can use a paper towel, sponge, or a sock in my case, to remove the white paint in chips. Ikept applying a shot of thinner from the air brush and blotting as I went and it all came of quite well.

Name:	Pn37537.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1529512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48703.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1529513  
Old 12-02-2010, 09:18 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Came out great as usual. Now it is a match for his KV-2. Have you or Squid used the "hairspray" technique to show primer through a chipped and worn base coat (on a non-whitewashed tank)?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 PM
streetsquid

Not bad young *padawan, like MIG you have been paying attention in class..............the weathering skills of this one is strong!

Squid

*A Padawan, Padawan learner, or Apprentice in Basic, referred to a Weathering-sensitive adolescent who had begun one-on-one instruction with a Paint Master outside of the DAK academy. Having passed the Initiate Trials and ascended in rank from an Initiate, Padawans were given more responsibilities within the model finishing order but were subject to the demands of their master
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 PM
streetsquid

Steve,
It appears the the SU-85 has a heavier (read more opaque) white wash coating. Should look good next to the KV-2, I think they will look similar, yet distinctively different, should make a nice pair.

As far as the hairspray techinique on somehting other than a whitewash scheme..... yes I have and with good results. I have only ths far done the whitewash on the larger 1/16th scale stuff, but I have played with that technique a lot with 1/35th scale armor. Using a dark brown as a base coat for dunklegleb and black for a base coat on panzer grey, field grey, and even green.

Squid
Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks really good. The weathering effects after the whitewash look nice.

I am like you, I had a hard time with my Tiger, with the winter whitewash. I applied it with an electric toothbrush to get the hand applied look to it, but it was very hard to move away from a sprayed application.

Most of my painting is done using the cheap acylic paint from Micheals. Add a little water, a couple of drops of dishwasher liquid soap, and a good stir,and you end up with a good spray paint. I always use an in bottle screen though to ensure nothing "big" gets in the airbrush.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Spitvalve

Steve and Craig,

Could I get a few more details on the hairsprayis it spritzed on lightly or do you give it a full coverage coat? Best to use a coarse spray or fine mist? I never use hairspray so is there a particular type to use as in are some water base, others alcohol based?

Great effect and the usual top-notch work from you guys,

Mike.