Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

YHR "Sticky"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YHR "Sticky"

For all us new(ish) guys to this forum: There are some Uber-Skilled folks here but I have to put this out to my fellow Canadian YHR. This guy is in a league of his own when it comes to technical expertise. I'd love it if the moderators of this forum could post a "Solutions by YHR" sticky because he has posted so many practical, innovative and inexpensive modifications of to easy to get HL parts that you can save hundreds of dollars and still produce a top notch fighting machine.

Some of my favourites include: (1.) $12 sound card, giving HL tanks better sound on a budget
(2.) Tamiya compatible HL I.R. receiver apple
(3.) HL "backwards" recoil unit that snaps back, then eases forward (as opposed to the other way round)

Sorry if I'm gushing but this is what makes this forum great.

Mike
Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: YHR

Well thank you for the vote of confidence. What makes this forum great is the sharing of ideas that goes on. Honestly this forum isn't the greatest layout, for bookmarking or sectioning off build sections etc. However the way it is laid out keeps it at a critical mass to generate discussion and foster dialogue. There is always something to read without going on a site expedition.

Using the search function I have always been able to retireve the info I am looking for, so having a dedicated section or even "sticky" is not that big of deal to me.

I will be revamping my webpage to include Tank tips and tricks, so that is my plan to warehouse some of the stuff I have come up with.

Honestly though much of what I do is triggered by what someone else is doing. The recoil is a prime example of that. The first guy to come up with that doesn't post here anymore. Al I did was decide if you mounted the gun backward, you would need any internal mods, but his orignal idea got me looking at the Heng Long recoil.

Tailend Charlie was the first guy to look at making the Mato suspension function like the prototype. All I did was look at a different approach, but he is the guy that got the wheels turning.

So yes, I have come up with a few things on my own, but it is the collective mind set here that really gets things happening. Having yourself and other new guys posting is what keeps it happening. Sharing Ideas, and working out problems together, makes this an essential tool. I can honestly say when I bought my first Heng Long, IF IT WASN'T FOR THIS FORUM IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY LAST. Many people share what they know, and if we can keep it going we can help newcomers and grow this hobby. And that is why I defend the Heng Long path into this hobby so strongly. You can have a good running inexpensive reliable tank, following some of the tips shared in this forum. The fact is people can have fun spending 20 dollars here and there to get to know what they like. If that ends up being a Tamiya great, but in the mean time there is a lot of fun to be had improvising at the workbench.

Darktith floated his idea here, and with some collaborative help on what was needed came up with the DBC. Phil at RCtankwars was a contributor here first before he went into business. Swathdriver worked with Mato to get the Sherman produced, Perry was the first to realize you could make 3:1 gears yourself, and shared that. I beleive this forum has contributed greatly to the advancement of 1/16 tanks.

Thank you for identifying me as a contributor. It does help to know what I am doing is not wasting peoples time, and some appreciate it. This forum is full on helpful guys, and every post made contributes in my enjoyment in this hobby. So I tip my hat to you for being part of what we got going here.

I also say if you are lurking and learning, don't be afraid to say hi. Thread and forum activity is important to keep this place lively. So people can do their part by just saying hi.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Green Amphibian

HI.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:23 PM
olfart

I agree Eggman. My thanks as well go to YHR for his skills he posts here, as well as the other regular posters here. They breathe life into these forums.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

Hi...

I'm on this forum daily and if it were not for this forum I might have never bought another HL tank. As it is I'm planning some major upgrades to my HL JagdPanther. (The hardest concept for me now is to get the Jagd's gun to traverse, so if anyone that has done this mod is out there let me know) . I'd eventually like to get all three of my HL's up to IR fighting trim and improve the sound on each as well as upgrade the gear boxes but I don't want to do it my chucking money at them so for now I bide my time and read, read, read. This is why I'd like be able to compile all these build and mod posts under one roof so to speak. The only complaint I have about this forum is the difficulty in compiling threads by author, even one's own.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Hi.

Learning from others is why I am here. Passing on what I have learned is fun too.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:02 PM
DukeSedan

Contributors like YHR take this hobby to a different level and still make it understandable and accessible to us laymen. However, Eggman, don't sell yourself short. When you post something like your Tiger 1 idler fix that is as important to this group as anything else. It may not be as technical as some modifications, but it could allow average joe to fix his tank cheaply and be able to afford to stay in the hobby.
Ihave been thinking about the Jagdpanther traverese problem since I have recently got one myself. I don't know that anyone has done this specifically or not, but it is worth searching thorugh the archives here to see. Ithink the biggest problem is making a cradle that allows both verticle and lateral movement. The rest is hooking up servos. The control board is the same as turreted tanks and the controller is the same. The potential is there... it just has to be built! Make sure you post anything you do experiment with and we can all benefit from a new idea.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 PM
YHR

Let me throw you a bone on this traverse on a Jagd. Haven't done this myself, but I am cooking up an idea.

Inside a cheap Transmitter are many parts. The gimballs that make up the control sticks could easly be used for traverse on a Jag. Moral of the story, Don't throw anything away before for tearing it down and see what nuggets might lay inside. This gimball combined with the new HL elevation motor, wired up to the normal spot for turret rotation would yield a gun that could traverse
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dan, do you think you could maybe use some of your influence at Mato and get them to make a track set for the Jumbo with the Duckbill extenders. ? Man that would help me out tremendously since that is what i'm building with my Mato Sherman. All the up armoring is complete. Just need some duck bill end connectors. You wouldnt be interested in casting some for me would you? Please. LOL
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
YHR

Well G, the bottom line is whatever they make it has to make a profit!!!!. I tried to get some slat armor produced, but the demand for stuff like that just doesn't make it commercial.

I have very little influence over what Mato produces.

It is no secret that I had some information on this metal hull prior to it's release, but never really influenced what they were up to.

I don't think this Tiger is the last of the metal either. More like just the start. ALthough I guess it all depends on sales. We heard lots about all kinds of Shermans, but with the economy the way it is, I don't think the sales ever justified tthe expense of doing more. Same thing with this Tiger. If sales are slow I would imagine it might make them rethink what they do next.

Now if they ever produce a Jumbo or some other tank that used this duckiills then you might see them. What tanks utlized these duckbill extenders? I don't know much about them, but I think they were used on lots of tanks weren't they. M10, Shermans etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
torpedochief

I just did Dan's Recoil Tutorial and wow now I have a Great recoil to put in the ole SHERMAN.

Don
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
YHR

Wirght 971 is the guy that first tried fixing the Heng long recoil. If you do the internal mods to the gun he is the guy that should be credited with the idea. I just made a diagram and showed how to wire the thing up.

It does make a nice recoil when modified though, and very cost effective. Makes you wonder why HL didn't just do it up right the first time!!!!!!!.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Here is Tamiya's way of doing it. Photo is of Daryl's Parts metal system, Tam is plastic but the same thing. Uses two Tam elevation units to elevate and traverse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53557.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1531262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42750.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	1531263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv40138.jpg
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	1531264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd31873.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	1531265  
Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Panther G

They where used so widely that the US had local factories in France making them just to keep up with the need. Basically just about any version Sherman that saw action in the winter and rain months would have used them at one point in time or another. that is why I think it would make a very good track set to make. 
 They also used extensively very wide grousers. As wide as 39 inches, YES 39 inches wide. They where made in 37, 38  ,and 39 inch wide versions. As well as the standard grousers carried on the tanks for mud and ice conditions.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Panther G

Duck Bill's
Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 PM
YHR

Thanks for the info G.

I could mold one of these and try casting one. See how it turns out.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree Dan, this is the best forum and I too wouldn't have kept this hobby if it had not been for its fellow enthusiasts. A BIG THANK YOU to Tower Hobbies for hosting it too! They've become my local hobby shop.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 PM
YHR

Well I never said it was the best forum. I don`t want to offend other forums. However it is very consistant, and extremely helpful. You don`t have to wait long for an answer here. I also appreciate the lack of heavy handy moderators. They just leave us alone and everyone does a great job of moderating each other.

My Benedini sound card showed up this evening. Just got it all figured out. WOW. You guys are going to want to hear this.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM
kclank

here is a home brewed version of the Tamiya JagdPanther traverse using a HL lift motor and a servo, plus a version made for a SU-152 using a tamiya lift motor and a servo.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12524.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1531774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33072.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1531775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85357.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1531776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24497.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1531777  
Old 12-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Panther G

Dan, if you could come up with these that would make my year. I really want to finish my Jumbo but this is really the biggestobstacle. I made my own prototype becuase you need to remember the end connector and extender needs to fit in the sprocket teeth. That is harder than it sounds. If we where dealing with a larger scale it would not be half as bad but these are a tight fit. If you dont get it right the track will climb right over the sprocket.