Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

JagD with Benedini sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default JagD with Benedini sound

I spent some time fine tuning my audio files and then reloaded them. I installed the card in my JagD, and set the stick up to allow for some motor revving without movement. I like the way this set up works.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5cY8Fn5Am8[/youtube]

Old 12-10-2010, 05:33 AM
thebronze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JagD with Benedini sound

B-E-N-D-I-N-I.... Not Bendulo....Hahahahahaaaaa

Sounds pretty good
Old 12-10-2010, 06:15 AM
YHR

YA I know. Bernulli's equation is something that I learned in college, and it must have had a lasting effect and imprinted on my brain. I don't think I have pronouced Bendini right once. Something else just falls out of my mouth everytime I try to say it.

No matter how I pronounce it, I am most pleased with it!!!!!!

Dan
Old 12-10-2010, 06:15 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

[ Your souping up all your tanks sound now!!
Is the beandinie the hudenie of all sound cards now hows it compaired to the 12 buck version?
what's the beaninie card look like?

Just making fun of the beaninie I know it's spelled wrong...who and why would call it that in the first place!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:45 AM
YHR

You Know this Bendini sound card is set up differently then Elmod, and it seems to work well. It is not cheap, and you have to buy a DBC2 to make this work, so all in it is just sightly less then an EL-Mod set up, and currenlty some of it's potential is locked up in it. I am working to get the most out of it, and I will keep you posted

The $12 sound card is very inexpensive and very limited option. WHy it works at all is that Tanks tend to rev pretty steady while in motion. IF that is the sound you upload into the board and your tank is in motion it does a real good job, and sounds just as good as any other system. However there is no way it compares to Tamiya, ELmod, or Benedini with respect to engine fluctuations. This Benedini sytem makes it easy to unlock this potential, as demonstated in the video, You can rev the motor up, and get some real good effect. Secret is how you record and manage your sound clips.

So I really like the Bernilidini sound card

Dan
Old 12-10-2010, 09:01 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, I am impressed with the persistence of your work on the sound options. One thing I am curious about is why? For the cost of this set-up, you still lack the drive functions that would come from a elmod or tamiya electronics package. And then there is the extra work of wiring this system into the tank. I'm not trying to start anything here, but just curious on why. What would the selling point be to make one buy this setup instead of the other two options?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:01 AM
shenlonco

Thanks Dan so i guess if you are runing stock HL sound stuff the best bet is the $12.00 sound card upgrade.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM
YHR

The Benedini systems is with a DBC 2 is less then $200. The Benedini is plug and play, no wiring other then plugging in servo leads. Like EL mod it has the ability to play customized sound sets, which Tamiya can not.

THe reason why is simple. More options for less cost.

IMO this Benedini has provided the best sound set yet.

THe other thing I am aware about is the eocnomy and how much money people have to spend in this hobby.

I am looking for something that a guy can buy one month. Lets say the tank. The followonig month he buys a set of gears. Kind of likes what he has going. He buys a DBC2 to add IR battling, momentum, and the ability to turn off the Heng long recoil + adds the hobby radio for limitless frequencies. Next up he buys the sound card. He has been able to spread this investment over a few months, has got to know what he likes, and has a tank that Looks and sounds pretty good, He then can run it into the ground until he wears out the plastic peices, and replace them with metal ones as needed. He has utilized everything in a cost effective orderly matter that allows him to maixmize his enjoyment for the dollars he spends..

IMO The RX18 is a good peice of electronics, and with 3:1 gears does not need to be upgraded.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 AM
shenlonco

Yea on my 2 HL tanks i use the DBU and the HL radio to keep price down so the $12.00 sound option will be great.. And my other 2 tamiyas have all the goodies... A good way to get into battle is a stock HL with DBU using HL radio and the $12.00 sound card up grade.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Pzjgr

Which Benedini system did you get? Could you provide a link please. Also did you need anything else with the Benedini system like cables? Thanks.

Duane

Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 PM
YHR

THis is the TBS Mini

All you need is servo cables, and mine came with them attached.

[link=http://benedini.de/Home_E/home_e.html]Benedini[/link]
Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Panther G

To get the best bang for your buck with the benedini system you really must use a high quality speaker. th Stock HL's wont do it. I dont know what your using in it Dan as you havent stated but you should get a Full range mini speaker. Parts Express has a great "Full Range" 2' speaker made by Tang Bang, yeah i know funny name but the sound is excellent for a 15.00 dollar speaker. Cant really get anything much bigger in these tanks, the Jagd might be able to fit a 2x3 or 2x4 in it. the oval shape speakers get better bass response as the surface area is almost double a round speaker due too the shape.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
dyeager535

Completely off topic, but I had to "rewind" the video a bit, to confirm that your recoil mechanism does indeed somehow make the IR apple move.

You probably already know, just funny how the eye was drawn to it.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 PM
YHR

THe moving apple is because the wiring harness was not mounted in the hatch. It was just placed in there. All secure now.

This is not a Heng long speaker. Speakers never seem to transfer well on video. Not sure if it is part of the file compaction that goes on our what.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Perry S.

I think it must sound much better in person. Maybe it's my hearing or the speakers in my laptop but I cant make out much that sounds above and beyond the stock HL sounds. The PWM whine of the RX18 and the motor in the recoil seem loudest. I've heard his other cards in 1/6 scale tanks and they were amazing.

Perry
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 AM
YHR

If you listening at a low volume you won't get the full effect. Also although this is not a Heng Long speaker, it is not a Tamiya either. Tamiya sound boxes are special.

The RX18 whine. What is with that anyway. Some are worse then others, so it must have something to do with the install. Every motor has the capacitors across the poles, and I take care running the speaker wires away from the motor leads, but still some have that whine.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:36 AM
dyeager535

Perhaps just an audio file recording would work better?

Don't know much about audio recording, but I do know windows has the built in sound recorder.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

Again I take it you're using a modified HL recoil and IR apple? Great work as always!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: dyeager535

Perhaps just an audio file recording would work better?

Don't know much about audio recording, but I do know windows has the built in sound recorder.
The digital recording is fine. Where the fidelity might be lost is the upload into You tube that takes a 300 MB file and compacts it to 30Mb. So the video just doesn't have the quality as "being there".
Old 12-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Panther G

Try moving your receiver board as far from the 18 as possible. I have heard that this can help with noisy systems. I understand the concept but really dont know enough about how it all works to really explain it well. But I did try this in one of my noisier tanks and it did help.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Perry S.

ORIGINAL: YHR

The RX18 whine. What is with that anyway. Some are worse then others, so it must have something to do with the install. Every motor has the capacitors across the poles, and I take care running the speaker wires away from the motor leads, but still some have that whine.
Just to be clear the whine comes from the switching freq of the drive fets and has nothing to do with the audio portion of the system.

Perry

Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 PM
YHR

I totally rewired this tank this afternoon. Did the RX whine get any better??? I know it is the drive fets, but I think they get amplified somehow. This sounds better now or is it my imagination?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pbSzwiLR08[/youtube]
Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Perry S.

Sure seems better