Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Lithium battery pack for Tamiya King Tiger?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Lithium battery pack for Tamiya King Tiger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 AM
jmose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lithium battery pack for Tamiya King Tiger?

Hi ya'll, I'm new and have ordered the tank but have not found just which batteries to get
Are any Lithium packs to fit and who gots it.

Thanks, for any help.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Lithium battery pack for Tamiya King Tiger?

Are you speaking of Lipo batteries?
You will need a lipo balance charger first for lipo packs and a Low voltage lipo alarm because the tanks do not have a lipo low voltage cut off in them and if used in a tank without it the battery can get damaged and result in a fire when charging it again.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
jmose

Thanks Shenlonco, Didnt know bout that. What i have found said it required 7.2v NiCad batts.
I would like to start out right with quality batteries and charger. Any info on what to get
and where to get will appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 12-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a nice Li-Ion pack.  http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...ld_li-ion.html

I'd put a pair of them in for 6400mha. 
Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 PM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: jmose

Thanks Shenlonco, Didnt know bout that. What i have found said it required 7.2v NiCad batts.
I would like to start out right with quality batteries and charger. Any info on what to get
and where to get will appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi sounds like you are not to good with chargers and batteries so i say for you go simple and easy...
Get a onyx 200 charger first on this page $23.00 it will be good for you and simple to use

GO HERE: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTS1000p?&C=P

and get one of these and you will be good to go!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAAGE&P=7
Old 12-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. Not saying you are stupid, in the contrary. just asking the right questions makes you a smart guy but listen too Shenlonco. He is pretty much our resident charger/ BatteryPack Guru. he wont steer you wrong. he is also our clubs main tech guy, so i know him personnally. Good man.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:21 PM
jmose

Thanks Shenlonco, just what we needed. I built airplanes and was the pit crew for my son years ago.
Got airplanes and 4-strokes hanging all round the garage/game room/shop.
lost him to computers and to college 2 yrs early. Seldom see him. Now he is gonna be home
2 whole weeks and wants to build a Tank... Hot Dog!!!
Thanks a bunch,
jmose
Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM
shenlonco

Thanks Panther G those are some nice kind words and I appreciate it.
I like to help any way I could and from reading Jmose post he did not sound sure about what he was trying to do so I figure set him up with a simple select amps on a switch push the button and let the charger do all the guess work for you kind of package deal.
Have FUN wrenching on the tanks!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Panther G

NP.Shen
Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Gerula

Is there any low-voltage cutoff device that can be purchased as is an plugged between the battery and the Tx board?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 AM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: Gerula

Is there any low-voltage cutoff device that can be purchased as is an plugged between the battery and the Tx board?
Hi i don't understand? are you using a Lipo battery to power your tank in place of the stock NIMH 6 cell pack?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Gerula

I'd like to, but obviously I'd need a LVC device that will cut off before the Li-Po gets destroyed (the HL Rx goes in flat battery mode at 6v which is too low for a 2s Li-po)

Hence the question. I was hoping that such device can be purchased.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 AM
shenlonco

Hi these are the best you can get I tried lots of them this one is so loud you can hear it from far away very easy!!
It has 2 alarm buzzers 95DB!! Get a lipo with the JST type balence tap you stick the LVC into the plug it beeps and it's ready to go.
I just put it in the battery compart ment I never realy hit LVC anyhow with it and it's good because it's a little higher 3.3V cell.... What you can do also is there are red lights that come on much before the buzzer as a warning batt is getting low you can unsolder the 2 leds that are used for the 2S battery and run them up on or in the tanks exhaust pipeds so you can also see the leds before buzzer and shut down the tank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Oracus

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

What you can do also is there are red lights that come on much before the buzzer as a warning batt is getting low you can unsolder the 2 leds that are used for the 2S battery and run them up on or in the tanks exhaust pipeds so you can also see the leds before buzzer and shut down the tank.
Thats a very good idea, I might have to use that one
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 AM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: Oracus

What you can do also is there are red lights that come on much before the buzzer as a warning batt is getting low you can unsolder the 2 leds that are used for the 2S battery and run them up on or in the tanks exhaust pipeds so you can also see the leds before buzzer and shut down the tank.
Thats a very good idea, I might have to use that one
Best one i found now i use these in my boats , rc cars and tanks!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 AM
jmose

Shenlonco ,that gizmo looks like it would be good to have with any battery pack. Will it work with
or be modified to work with NiMH batt packs?
Thanks,
jmose
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 AM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: jmose

Shenlonco ,that gizmo looks like it would be good to have with any battery pack. Will it work with
or be modified to work with NiMH batt packs?
Thanks,
jmose
Hi Jmose it won't work with NIMH packs it's made for use with Lipo packs only... You don't need nothing with the NIMH battery packs for a tank the NIMH are meant for use with the tanks.
With NIMH just make sure you never let them sit for a long time when not using them every few weeks put them on the charger and put some power back in them because they self discharge when not in use and if they get to low of voltage they get ruined.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it is settled fact that you can safely discharge a Lipo cell to 3.0 volts(no-load only, and only done as part of a discharge/charge cycle on a modern charger). Battery damage only occurs after you go lower than 3v per cell. Under a load situation, such as driving one's tank, you should be able to safely the tank to a 3v cut off without battery damage as the battery voltage sags the most under the load. Not recommended (why tempt fate??) because less than 3.0 v will kill your lipo (which can easily cost more than a HL tank), but probably safe nonetheless.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 AM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: Jeff489

I believe it is settled fact that you can safely discharge a Lipo cell to 3.0 volts(no-load only, and only done as part of a discharge/charge cycle on a modern charger). Battery damage only occurs after you go lower than 3v per cell. Under a load situation, such as driving one's tank, you should be able to safely the tank to a 3v cut off without battery damage as the battery voltage sags the most under the load. Not recommended (why tempt fate??) because less than 3.0 v will kill your lipo (which can easily cost more than a HL tank), but probably safe nonetheless.

These LVA units sound off at 3.3V per cell and also have red LED warning that comes on at even a higher voltage than 3.3V cell I forgot what it was when i tested it with a multi meter but the red lights come on for a long time before the 3.3v buzzer so if you want to extend the leds off the board and do what i said like putting the red leds in the exhaust pipe you will then see the lights come on way before the 3.3V per cell buzzer.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Gerula

Hi these are the best you can get I tried lots of them this one is so loud you can hear it from far away very easy!!
It has 2 alarm buzzers 95DB!! Get a lipo with the JST type balence tap you stick the LVC into the plug it beeps and it's ready to go.
I just put it in the battery compart ment I never realy hit LVC anyhow with it and it's good because it's a little higher 3.3V cell.... What you can do also is there are red lights that come on much before the buzzer as a warning batt is getting low you can unsolder the 2 leds that are used for the 2S battery and run them up on or in the tanks exhaust pipeds so you can also see the leds before buzzer and shut down the tank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks for the link, 95db sounds like enough. Also moving the leds outside the tank (maybe positioned as convoy lights) is definitelly a good idea.

Definitelly a 5 stars post.