Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Danville Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Danville Question

Friends,

I don't think I can stay away any longer. Not that I wanted to in the first place. I don't have a battle ready tank. Would they let a guy who wants to see his tanks run around is scale setting on the battlefield?

Panther G is right I want to schedule something in the spring/summer.

I did some calling. There is the possibility of having a event a Ft. Jackson. If I can time it right we can go and watch my old unit on the firing line shooting Table 8.

Would a live fire interest anyone? 12 M1A1 tanks doing what they were meant to do.

Don
Old 12-20-2010, 10:54 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Danville Question

Hmmm... Keep us posted on the dates and I'll see what I can do.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They would still most likely charge you the fee we all pay too use the battle field, but i dont think they would mind, unless they have a full battle schedule. Most times they do however. ther is very little time between battles. 
 Don, just pop in an DBCRC2 and you will be good too go. 
Once you are there you WILL want to battle anyway.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Chief,
I'm hoping to get a group down from DTC for the H*E*A*T event at the end of April, so you wouldn't be the only newbie out there
I have a spare DBC set I can bring down and fit it for the weekend, we'd just need to negotiate a spare 27Hz channel for you to be able to use it? [8D]
Mart
Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Panther G

Don, there are many tankers done there that don't mind lending a tank for a new person too try out. Especially if you already own tanks and know how to operate them.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Indeed, I'm always willing to loan [8D] - nothing beats running your own tank tho
Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Panther G

We do it all the time at our N.E.A.D. battle days. We encourage people to come out even if they don't own a tank yet and gladly lend ours to newbee's to see what it is like.
You are correct though, nothing beats watching the killer you just built decimate thefield. All I build are fighters. No shelf queens, not even a princess. My paint jobs aren't the best but my tanks run like the dickens and fight like gladiators.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

So we are agreed! You have no excuse not to get involved that weekend Don!
(and be sure to bring Bill with you, I'm dying to meet him after all these years on the forum )

Mart
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 PM
torpedochief

I hope to bring Bill and David.

David can flat out drive a tank now. I will bring my tanks but most likely have to use a loaner.

I sure appreciate it. Hopefully my novel TIGER! will be out by then. We are getting closer to a soft release date. I just did one last check of the galley copy.

Don
Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 AM
Dana Lowell

Don, come on up!   No need to bring a tank in order to have fun at Danville.   H*E*A*T* guys have loaners.  You are welcome to run my Sherman.  James has about 10 tanks and is always eager to loan our a tank.  Same with Jersey Bob of NEAD.

I hope to get Bill Campbell (pattoncommander) to return to Danville.  It's been a year since he was there last.  He always has good war stories from serving in the Koren War and Cold War.

Charleston, SC is not that far from Danville.  An easy shot to Columbia, SC, where you could car pool with Bill.  Then 4 hours from there.

There are tons of events scheduled:  http://www.heatarmor.com

Hope to see you there!
Dana Lowell
CO of H*E*A*T RC Tank Club of NC
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Panther G

Yes Don, please do try to make it. It took me 2 years to finally get my but down there but now, heck I want to move to Virginia just to be closer to Danville. LOL. I always did love Virginia anyway, so that is looking more and more like my retirement destination. I just hope we can give the museum enough support so they can stay open and not need to move also.
 Yes guy's that was a hint. Join up, become a member and support the museum. We really need to keep this institution alive and well.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 AM
1sgt

Don,
As far as seeing your old unit on the firing line, count me in. I can bring my tanks as well for just some running around after.

Jim
Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: torpedochief

Friends,

I don't think I can stay away any longer. Not that I wanted to in the first place. I don't have a battle ready tank. Would they let a guy who wants to see his tanks run around is scale setting on the battlefield?

Panther G is right I want to schedule something in the spring/summer.

I did some calling. There is the possibility of having a event a Ft. Jackson. If I can time it right we can go and watch my old unit on the firing line shooting Table 8.

Would a live fire interest anyone? 12 M1A1 tanks doing what they were meant to do.

Don

Hi Don,
I'm sorry that I didn't get to you sooner, but I've been to busy to even read posts, let alone reply. I see that several regulars have already stepped up to the plate on your question. Our NEAD group and HEAT will be running this even together and I will personally loan you one of my tanks to run. I usually load up the Tahoe bring at least 10 tanks or so. Bring whatever RC you have and we will do our best to accomodate you. HL tanks are often run on the field as are some 1/24 tanks and all sizes of trucks, 4x4s, cars and helos too. My first tank on the battlefield in Danville was a H L M26. No sooner had I demonstrated some RC ability then I was being given two or three Tamiya IR tanks to battle with. The guys from HEAT and all the other clubs were so generous. I'm sure you and Bill will have fun. Hotels are inexpensive and our dinning options are many. You have my number so do not hesitate to call me. Keep us posted on events near you. I love to travel.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ec88832.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	1538268   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay75268.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	644.8 KB
ID:	1538269   Click image for larger version

Name:	da83414.jpg
Views:	10