Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

M-51 Sherman in the Movies

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M-51 Sherman in the Movies

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M-51 Sherman in the Movies

I picked up the movie "The Big Red One" in the $5 movie bin at the local big box. It was a movie I'd never seen, and for 5 bucks, I thought "Why not?" I was barely paying attention to it while assembling a set of T-55 tracks, when I saw that the Americans were preparing to be over-run by Axis tanks - which turned out to be T-51 Shermans (with German crosses on the sides of the turret)! This was at about the 30-minute mark. I don't how many of these tanks the film company had access to, but the most I could see running together in any one scene was three of them.

There are a couple of other scenes later in the film showing them, and the Americans refer to them as "Tiger tanks." Not the most memorable of movies, but I have never gotten to see one of these except as a model or a photo of the real thing - it was a treat to listen to the engines; to see all the dust they kick up when they move; and to see the flame come out of that huge muzzle brake when they fire. (Blank charges, I know). It had a very high cool factor for me.

-Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: M-51 Sherman in the Movies

I'd like to see some photos or check out a DVD. Most of these movies used M-47 or M-48s as German Panzers....or mockup Tigers made from T-55 or T-34s. It would be interesting to see some M-51s in action.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 PM
swathdiver

Forgot all about that movie and those "Tigers"! Will have to DVR it next time it comes on TV.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Original war of the worlds movie, has Shermans. Lots of them.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 AM
ksoc

It's got Lee Marvin in it, so it can't be all bad.

This movie was about the infantry, so the tanks were secondary. Filmed in Israel and Ireland (explains the M-51's)

The writer/director Samuel Fuller (Purple Heart, Bronze Star, Silver Star) saw a lot of action as an infantry man in the 1st Infantry Division - North Africa, Sicily, Omaha Beach and on to Czechoslovakia. The film is semi-autobiographical. Pvt Zab (Robert Carradine) is loosely based on Fuller. There are two version of the movie - the first 1980 version, heavily edited for a PG rating. A re-constructed R rated version, restoring some of the more graphic war scenes, was released in 2004.

The Reconstructed version has some nice shots of the Shermans in formation and close up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68389.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1536775  
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 AM
ksoc

2 of 3

Name:	Ki18634.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1536776  
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 AM
ksoc

3 of 3

Only way to get it to work without oversized picts

Name:	Tr50367.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1536777  
Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 AM
swathdiver

Just watched Lee Marvin tonight in Gorky Park. One of my favorite actors!

As a little kid I watched the Big Red One dozens of times with my buddies while clutching our toy rifles. Afterwards it was off to play War and storm the shores of those backyard canals! [:-]
Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Just watched Lee Marvin tonight in Gorky Park. One of my favorite actors!

As a little kid I watched the Big Red One dozens of times with my buddies while clutching our toy rifles. Afterwards it was off to play War and storm the shores of those backyard canals! [:-]

You too

In my neighbourhood we "played" a lot of war. Remember the, " I shot you, ya well I shot you first" arguments. No lazer tag for us.Long before that technology was available We would fight up the boulevards, and charge the enemy pillboxes. I remember I got a "multipistal 109 for Christmas. I modded it into a bren gun using a clotheshanger. To be ten again!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 AM
pattoncommander

Oh the good old days when toys were simple and didn't need batteries....and kids could use immagination instead of everything programed for them. We actually had to get off the couch and run around to have fun. When I was that age, one of the Kid's dads got a new jig saw. He made Lugers and Thompson SMGs for a a lot of kids and we had a ball. That's when gas was 29 cents and a 12 ft pine board was paid with pocket change.[]

KSOC, nice photos...I'll have to pick up a DVD. What's the magic trick to get smaller photos????[X(]
Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the single file upload insead of multi file. They will upload small.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
ksoc

What's the magic trick to get smaller photos?
As yellowshaker confirmed, you need to upload one pict at time. My original post had 3 picts - small-LARGE-small

The only downside is the system will not let you a third time back to back to back. Had to wait a few minutes.

pattoncommander - if you see the movie I am curious to know if the "German" tactics are correct. In the open the tank travel in the open, the first tank's main gun faces forward, and the trailing tanks alternate to the left and right. When going through the "Kasserine Pass" the Panzer Genadiers are arrayed around the tank, and range out ahead, screening for anti-tank guns.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM
pattoncommander

Even w/o the movie, standard tactics in a column were/are; lead tank gun forward, following tanks alternate with guns partial left or right, last tank over the back deck. This gives all around security with at least 1 or 2 tanks being able to lay and return fire immediately without much traverse and searching. Now, with a 4 tank platoon as opposed to the 5 of WW II thru the 1970s, the loader also has a MG and a sector of observation. From what I understand, German tactics on convoy were similar. Crossing an open area....either a wedge, like a flock of geese with trailing tanks angled out to the right/left rear with guns toward the flanks. Echelon, with an angle paralell to a threat area....ie; a hilly area on the right, echelon right, with each tank to the right rear of the one in front and all guns angled to the right. Left just the opposit. Everyone in the open....line formation with each tank abreast of the one to the side with guns mostly forward....outer tanks can angle to the sides..primary idea...get to the other side quick. Supporting the infantry, adhere to infantry tactics and follow the inf CO.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 PM
swathdiver

ORIGINAL: YHR

You too

In my neighbourhood we ''played'' a lot of war. Remember the, '' I shot you, ya well I shot you first'' arguments. No lazer tag for us.Long before that technology was available We would fight up the boulevards, and charge the enemy pillboxes. I remember I got a ''multipistal 109 for Christmas. I modded it into a bren gun using a clotheshanger. To be ten again!!!!!!
Yeah, I was always right! Then to settle that we started making and shooting the rubber band guns with the clothespin triggers. Due to lack of range we began hooking up clothes pin springs to the rubber band for more reach! Boy did it hurt! After a couple trips to the local Army Navy we all had steel pots, pistol belts and canteens and surplus army makeup sticks. We started wearing those big bulky winter vests as flak jackets but that didn't protect our knuckles from thos clothes pin springs!

As we got older the rules advanced to whomever saw the other guy first was the victor and then we were old enough for BB guns and bottle rockets...
Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 PM
pattoncommander

Picked up a DVD today and watched it. Very well made movie. Great running M-51s. Most were built on M-4A1 hulls, converted from M-1's (M-4A1 76mm) and later fitted with HVSS and as of 1962/63, fitted with Cummins diesels. Some were in service as late as mid 1980s for training, so most likely a lot of runners still around. Only thing I see not kosher is that in Afrika, Pz Genadiers would not be walking hundreds of miles in that heat. They would have been in trucks or half tracks.

I saw an earlier version of this, but not as well done. Of course, with Lee Marvin, it has to be good.