Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Simple Smoking gun, I hope.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Simple Smoking gun, I hope.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Smoking gun, I hope.

Guys here is an idea I am working on and wanted to get some input.

I found this tiny 5 volt fan on Ebay for $5.

The plan is to tee off a hose from the smoker to a small chamber built around the fan. A hose then leads into the barrel.

The fan is connected to a micro switch that is tripped when the barrel recoils. When tripped the fan comes on and blows smoke into the tube and out the barrel.

Just need to figure out the resister I need to drop my voltage from 7,2 to 5 volts. Whole thing less than $10 . . . if it works.

Thoughts?

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72097.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1537857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77653.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1537858  
Old 12-23-2010, 10:07 PM
strmnd54

Default RE: Simple Smoking gun, I hope.

It's funny ; I'm working on the same idea ...
You don't need a resistor to lower the voltage to 5 Volts ; those fans can handle 7.2 Volts easily ....
Besides , you need that extra power to recreate the explosion effect ....
Since your system is connected to a smoke unit that is already using a fan or the original piston to push the smoke through the exhausts ; You will need a solenoid valve to prevent the exhaust smoke to escape through the gun ....
The same micro switch that actuates the fan could also actuate the solenoid valve ....
Good luck and keep us posted ....
Norm .
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 PM
torpedochief

Hey Norm,

I thought about that also. I have a company that has them but they are very pricey at $57. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks

Don
Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Green Amphibian

This is really getting me excited. I can hardly wait to get something like this into my Tiger 1.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:58 AM
strmnd54

Hi Don ....A while ago when I was working on my smoke unit , I couldn't find a solenoid valve at a reasonable price , so I had to make my own ....
I found some 5 Volts electro- magnets from a supplier in Montreal QC. and using a ball bearing and some marker pen caps ; I manage to build a solenoid valve that works ....
You can see it in this video ; when the valve opens there's more smoke escaping the exhaust ; when the valve closes , the level of smoke is reduced ....
www.youtube.com/watch

Here's a pic of the solenoid valve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31338.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1537932  
Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 AM
strmnd54

The video link didn't work so let's try again ...
www.youtube.com/watch
Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. You have done some good work there. I think that is the best smoker I have seen.

Would you be able to recap a tutorial showing us exactly what worked best to arrive at such a good effect. I have a boxful of HL smokers that have never been used. I literally take tehm out of the tank without even running them. I wouldn't mind focusing on this for awhile. SO far I haven't been bothered, but your smoker and the idea of somehow tying this into a smoking cannon is really getting my interest.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM
strmnd54

Thanks YHR for showing interest in this thread ....
I , as many members of this forum ; am well aware of the improvements you brought to this hobby by your capacities to somewhat " think outside the box "
About 1 year ago , I had the pleasure to share ideas on this forum (and another one) with brillant people ( Blake ( Saxondog ) and Danlrc ) to name a few ; whitch brought the development of the " super smoker " ....( now hopefully available from R.C. tanks war )
The amusing thing about the H.L. smoke unit is that it keeps coming back on this forum like an old habit ....
The unit you saw in the video is a prototype and still has to be tested overtime before I post a tutorial of it ...
Otherwise I would be doing like H.L. and their defective smoke unit ....
My unit is made of 3 parts : The mini-smoker ( made using the heat chamber of the discarded H.L. unit )
The smoke pulse regenerator ( made with the rest of the same H.L. unit ; minus the piston )
A home-made solenoid valve ( which needs to be downsized to fit inside a tank turret )
The important item for this mod. is the solenoid valve ....
I haven't been able to find a 5 Volts compact sol. valve with the ports size that I need at a reasonable price ...So I'll try to improve my design ....
Hope torpedochief can find one ....
Old 12-27-2010, 05:22 PM
STO_118

You've probably thought of this before but is there anything in a car you could use, as an example the EGR valve. Wrong voltage but I'm sure that can be worked out.

Just an idea.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
strmnd54

Thanks for the tip STO_118 ...
Here's a quick update : First I kinda boosted my smoke unit to produce a decent level of smoke ; as per this video ...
www.youtube.com/watch

Then I modified and downsized my home-made solenoid valve :
www.youtube.com/watch

I

Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 AM
Green Amphibian

Looking good there Strmnd54. Now we need the tutorial on how to duplicate your outstanding efforts!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:44 AM
strmnd54

The importance of having a low cost , small size solenoid valve working at 7.2 Volts is becoming obvious ....

Using a hight output smoke unit ( like the super smoker or a modified H.L. unit ) and solenoid valves ; you can now have 3 different smoke output

One is a 2 levels output for the exhaust that I've been working on for a while ; as per this video :
www.youtube.com/watch

Another application is the smoking gun of this thread ...
And finally ; a solenoid valve could be used to provide smoke simulating battle damage for I.R. battle ...
All that with 1 smoke unit ....

Here's some pics of my cheap solenoid valve ...( around $5.00 CAD)
The main part is the 5 Volts electro-magnet which I got from this supplier in Montreal Q.C.
https://www.addison-electronique.com...th=21158_21192

If you can't find an electro-magnet , you can take apart a 5 Volts relay ( the electro-magnet being the coils terminals)

Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM
strmnd54

Wow !!!
Is it just me but for the last 3 weeks , posting anything on this site has become a challenge ????
Even for replying to a post now ;I type the message to the note pad and "copy and paste " because most of the time , after pressing the " OK " ; It takes forever and I have an error message followed by the lost of my reply ...

Here's an other attempt to load some pics ....
Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
strmnd54

It just won't work on this site ...so let switch to plan C ..
I will start a thread called "Home-made solenoid valve " on this forum :http://www.rcgroups.com/rc-tanks-502/...
I hope it'll work better ...
Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Gerula

ORIGINAL: strmnd54

Wow !!!
Is it just me but for the last 3 weeks , posting anything on this site has become a challenge ????
Even for replying to a post now ;I type the message to the note pad and "copy and paste " because most of the time , after pressing the " OK " ; It takes forever and I have an error message followed by the lost of my reply ...

Here's an other attempt to load some pics ....

It hit me once earlier today, but generally I've had maybe 3 errors like this (server timeout) during the last month. But again, I usually sleep at the peak hours, due to timezone difference.