Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Part list for converting a RX18 BB tank to IR

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Part list for converting a RX18 BB tank to IR

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Gerula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part list for converting a RX18 BB tank to IR

Looking to turn a BB Panzer III into IR.

I need to figure out the parts needed, down to the last screw, in order to purchase all from a single vendor and save on shipping costs.

So far I know that I'll have to purchase:

1. the IR receiver
2. The IR cable for the RX18
3. IR sender (not sure where it should be located)

As far as I know there is no recoil/elevation mechanism for the Panzer III, so I'll have to keep the airsoft BB unit for gun elevation. Considering this, I cannot fit a high tension flasher into the gun.

What other parts, cables, connectors and so on I'll need? (for exaple the IR receiver must obviously plug into something...)

thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
fsciorelli

Default RE: Part list for converting a RX18 BB tank to IR

Gerula,

Do you want to convert to the Heng Long IR Battle sytem?

Frank

Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Bagheera

Hey

Matomart does sell an Henglong Infrared Upgrade Kit.

Here is some pics of my Pershing parts for IR The sencor tower and the IR light.

Cheers
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91213.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1540125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78856.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1540126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31527.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1540127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57549.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1540128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87811.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	1540129  
Old 12-31-2010, 03:04 AM
Gerula

Thank you for the pics John.

Where did you purchased the infrared sender for the M26?

The Mato upgrade kit seems to include the high voltage flash, not the plain IR sender.

ORIGINAL: fsciorelli

Gerula,

Do you want to convert to the Heng Long IR Battle sytem?

Frank

Yup
Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 AM
candycab

The Matto "Kit" does indeed come with the High voltage flash.

I went this rout when I upgraded my non S&S PZIII. 

Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 AM
Gerula

In the meantime I found the plain IR sender in matomart's inventory, it's about 3$.

Can any of you guys tell me exactly what wires and connectors are needed? (starting from a BB tank already equipped with RX18 and using matomarts part catalog as reference)

Pics of the wires will greatly help.

So far it looks to me that if I keep the airsoft system in place, all I need is a IR led (3$) a IR receiver (the so called HBU, costs 12$) , the 5 pin connector for the Rx18 infrared port and a socket for the IR receiver (which would probably need to be home manufactured as John did for his Pershing).

Am I wrong?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 AM
Bagheera

The IR kit from matomart does come with the IR light. The white sender for the barrle is homemade. I like to make what I needd, that's half the fun.

Happy New Year
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74710.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	1540272  
Old 12-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Gerula

True

Did you purchased the whole kit, or just the bits needed to put the IR system on a RX18 tank?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 AM
fsciorelli

Gerula,

If you are converting to the Heng Long IR battle system, refer to the following references:

a) How to convert to RX-18 with HL IR battle system on RCCOMMAND website: http://www.rccommand.com/guides/upgrade.php

b) My ongoing build thread of my Pz III H. It is a work in progress and not complete, but most of the install of the IRbattle unit is already in the build thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10057026

c) Last note about parts. By info next to your name it looks like you are are in Europe. I would go with Welsh Dragon Models in the UK. They have excellent service, selection, and prices. I have been going more to them recently for all the above reasons. The part I would recommend is the HLIRbattlesystem assembly from Welsh Dragon.
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/i...anks-518-p.asp
The reason I like the unit from Welsh Dragon is it comes with the mounting plate forthe IR receiver which I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

I'm not absolutely sure about all the other parts you will need as it seems you already have an RX 18 installed. If you have more questions post them and I can provide add'l assistance.

Best regards and Happy New Year
Frank
Old 12-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two ways to go - just make IR functional, or to convert to fully decked out as an IR factory tank (this would have the barrel flash and the barrel recoil as well). My suggestion is leave in the Airsoft and just add the IR.

If you go this way, you will need 4 items - the IR receiver (the apple or tower), the infrared LED, a cable with 8pin on one end and the other end having 5 and 2 pin connectors (this end goes into the RX18 board which you said you already have), and finally an 8 pin socket that the cable plugs into (same as you already have in your tank, but this is a second one).

Additional to this, I would recommend a piece of pipe or tube about 1/2" long that will just fit over your IR LED. Mount it where the (moronic) red LED taht shows that you are shooting goes in the mantlet and put the IR LED in behind it. Be sure to aim it parallel to the barrel. This will give you a more "choked" or tighter IR beam. Otherwise, you will "hit" any tank that is within 45 degrees of where you are aiming - not fun at all!

How to wire it all in has been noted in the thread above, so I won't go over it again. But ultimately using these few items you can add the battle system to your tank and still shot the cat with BB's.... I've done three or four of my own tanks this way and now always keep a set of cables and such "in stock" in my workshop for my next conversion.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Gerula

Thank you Frank, a lot of useful info in your post here and in your build thread.

Apparently the IR receiver+emitter kit from Welsh Dragon Models (which costs about 22$+shipping at current exchange rates) does not include the IR cable (the 5+2 to 8 pin cable) . Didi it came with the Rx18 or did you purchased it separatedly? I don't see it as a separate item in Welsh Dragon's inventory.

A Happy new year to you too Mine is just 4 hours and 10 mins away .
Old 12-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Gerula

ORIGINAL: Dmon1996

There are two ways to go - just make IR functional, or to convert to fully decked out as an IR factory tank (this would have the barrel flash and the barrel recoil as well). My suggestion is leave in the Airsoft and just add the IR.

If you go this way, you will need 4 items - the IR receiver (the apple or tower), the infrared LED, a cable with 8pin on one end and the other end having 5 and 2 pin connectors (this end goes into the RX18 board which you said you already have), and finally an 8 pin socket that the cable plugs into (same as you already have in your tank, but this is a second one).

Additional to this, I would recommend a piece of pipe or tube about 1/2" long that will just fit over your IR LED. Mount it where the (moronic) red LED taht shows that you are shooting goes in the mantlet and put the IR LED in behind it. Be sure to aim it parallel to the barrel. This will give you a more "choked" or tighter IR beam. Otherwise, you will "hit" any tank that is within 45 degrees of where you are aiming - not fun at all!

How to wire it all in has been noted in the thread above, so I won't go over it again. But ultimately using these few items you can add the battle system to your tank and still shot the cat with BB's.... I've done three or four of my own tanks this way and now always keep a set of cables and such "in stock" in my workshop for my next conversion.

I'm also leaning towards keeping the airsoft system in place. I'll only need to re-locate the switch and the tank will keep it's BB shooting ability, which seems to be the favourite among younger kids.

I was thinking at mounting the IR led as the coaxial machine gun. Not sure if the beam won't be too tight if shooting treough something that small though.

Any hint for sourcing the cables?

Thanks a lot for your post, it's very informative.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:31 PM
fsciorelli

Gerula,

The 5+2 to 8 cable came with my RX-18 upgrade kit.

I would contact Stephen Boyd at [email protected]. Stephen is great to work with a may very likely be able to provide you with the 5+2 to 8 cable. If you cannot get it though Welsh Dragon I would go with matomart.com .http://matomart.com/prodview.php?p=488 They have a great parts selection. You may also try the RC Dynasty ebay site, which I think is also run by matomart.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Pin-and-2-Pin-...item5ad47a62d7

Another approach may be asiatam. They are in Germany.
http://www.asiatam.com/ There website is not that user friendly and I have not purchased anything directly from them, although I have purchased asiatam products from there distributors.

These is the sources I would use. There may be other options which someone else can recommend.

Frank