Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Upper Body Hinge

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Body Hinge

I want to hinge the top half of my Dad's HL Pershing so that he can lift the top off and access the inside without unscrewing everything.

Has anyone done this and/or have pis of their work?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM
harleridr

Default RE: Upper Body Hinge

Hello Fireman Tim
hinges may be hard to attach, have you thought of using earth magnets instead of screws?
Harle
Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a similar thing with my M-41B. Just hooked the front under the lower bow plate and lift the rear up, like the hood of a car. ...just make sure the wires are long enough. Doesn't need any screws as the hooks on the front stabilize it. .
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

I did a similar thing with my M-41B. Just hooked the front under the lower bow plate and lift the rear up, like the hood of a car. ...just make sure the wires are long enough. Doesn't need any screws as the hooks on the front stabilize it. .
I know the forum is having problems with pics. I'd love to see how you did this.

I was thinking of using rare earth magnets and metal brackets.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:13 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be a bit different on the Pershing, But for the '41 I just tapped a small hole in the sides above the idlers and put in a small screws...get it far enough up front that the upper hull clears and hinges over the lower hull. At first, I had it too far back and it only allowed me to lift about 3 inches..Could easily put a small piano hinge at the bow,, but then there's a chance of a small opening. I haven't had my Pershing or M-45 opened for months, but thats the deal on the M-41B..
Old 01-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue with the Pershing is you need to move the upper hull up and forward from the rear lamps to take the top hull off. Cant just do it with hinges. Velcro or magnets. Remember the screws also help add stiffness to the whole tank. I only use a couple in my tanks now or one in each corner.