Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sherman sound options

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Alex4182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sherman sound options

I've just gotten back into RC tanking, mostly in the back yard with my son, and have been on Youtube looking and listening to tanks. I see there are now more options as far as sound goes. As it sits I have a Mato Sherman with the stock electronics in it and just HATEthe sound, or lack there of, coming out of the speaker I put in. There is just no speaker combo that makes this thing sound good. The constant squeak drives me up a wall; I mean it totaly drowns out the engine sound!

That off my chest......Ihave noticed the creepingdeath, Benedini, and SFX6sound boards are being used to replicate a more V8 sound. The question is do Ihave to replace the stock electronics in the Mato to run any of these, and also which one is the most cost effective with the best sound quality?

Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sherman sound options

I personally think it is a better move to replace the electronics with an ELmod unit from Phil. This will give you a great sound as well as hobby grade control of your sherman. The Creeping death site is gone. Benedini is reat quality, but only a sound system and I am pretty sure it will not work with mato electronics. Same goes for Model solutions of canada's sound card. Cost effective solution is Elmod. Phil at www.rctankwars.com sells them. Check out some videos of elmod tanks on youtube also.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mato electronics are crap....all my Mato Shermans have HL and they do fine. El Mod is good if you can afford the steep price but anything is better that Mato. That M-4A1 still has the Radial, so no V-8 sounds unless you convert it.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elmod can be had for around the same or less than full option Tamiya...and it offers both gas and diesel sounds.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Alex4182

I really haven't been impressed with the Elmod sounds I have heard so far. Maybe its just the video quality but it just seems like another looped sound.

Suppose I upgraded to the HL RX18 board, would that make a difference in anyone's opinion?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you have to replace the stock electronics. If you don't like the El mod sounds you have a couple of options.

1. Buy and RX 18, DBC and a Benedini Mini
2. El mod control system and then mix that with Benedini sound card. Benedini just needs to be paralleled up as it runs off a standard Servo signal. I think you end up with better engine sounds, but the functionality is not quite as good as a complete El mod set up.

There is some interesting stuff in development. If you can be patient the reward is usually worth it when it comes to electronics.

I have run both of the above systems. I don't run the most current El mod set up, but the instaltion is easier then it has ever been. How it manages sound is exactly the same. You will have varying opinions about the sounds. I have a leopard with a sound file a spent a lot of time on and I think is sounds good. I also have a Benedini in a Pershing. If all I am doing is comparing engine sounds, my nod goes to the Benedini. However to make total use of the card you have to fiddle around selecting addresses using the left joystick, but you have a lot of choices, and once you get use to it, it is is not that bad.

Also in all cases the sound live is better then what gets captured on a you tube video. I have had instances where I though something sounded decent, and then on the video it sounds like a bunch of noise.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Alex4182

Well in my short time on here Ihave learned to trust and listen to YHR so I'll be patiently waiting forwhat's next for the electronics game.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Dan, can you elaborate on the "interesting stuff" in development? you have peaked my interest with that little comment. I have a KT with the older elmod sitting around waiting for me to get to building it, and was thinking once I finish that and start my next project maybe looking at the new eco version and doing up a pershing. Just looking for another option, because when its all said and done the hl pershing with 3:1 gears, tamiya recoil, eco version, and odds and ends its only about 150 to 200 less than a pershing FO. But with the little one turning four months, won't really have the time to build a tamiya [&o]

Cheers,
Wade
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I know about isn't going to be an earth shattering development that blows away the competition, but it will be an alternative to what is out on the market. If you already own an El Mod set up then this new development isn't going to make you want to get rid of it. However it will be a viable option to El Mod and Tamiya. The debate between all three will be interesting, with each one of them having a different angle on the market place., Ford, Chev, Dodge all over again. It is going to be like comparing apples to oranges to bananas. The debate between all three will be fun, but in the end it will all boil down to what personally you like best

Primarily it will be a great interest to Heng long users, and those are the guys that might want to move their chairs in a little closer. Currently the project is prototyped and working as designed. In about months time I will be able to say more. At that point I will have a vested interest in this product, and my objectivity on it can be called into question

Exactly what Alex4182 is looking for is available now. He can use either of the methods I mentioned above or throw in Tamiya electronics. I am suggested he wait just a little longer before making this decision, as there will be one more option available, and it might appeal to him more.