Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Looking for some advice on project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Looking for some advice on project

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 PM
iamb4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advice on project

Hey guys....

I've never owned an RC tank, but have had a slew of off road cars and a helicopter.

I do structured cabling work, and am trying to come up with a radio controlled vehicle to help me pull data cable.... mostly Cat5.
I've tried an Emaxx, which was able to pull 6 1000' spools across the floor but was too large for ceilings as well as a mini-t to pull a fish line, but neither was able to really get over some of the obsticals I've come across. In general I'll be stringing a single data line per pull.

I think a tracked vehicle would be best suited, but I'm having a hard time finding anything used to give the idea a shot and buying new is a bit too pricey for the gamble on this even working out. I looked at a few that were more toy grade, but I'm doubtful on them... add to that if this works I'm going to have to go DSM on the radio due to interference in the locations I'm servicing.

I know this is a bit of an off the wall post, but if anyone can point me in a direction or offer some advice I'd really appreciate it!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 AM
ForlornFoundry

Default RE: Looking for some advice on project

If you can do it, I think a custom build may be your best bet and will most likely be cheaper and give you the most bang for your buck.

What Sort of specs are you looking for ?
Weight
Size
Speed
Max weight to be pulled

I built battlebots back in the day so ROV's are my cup of tea.

If you like I have a machine shop and small aluminum foundry so I may help with a build.

A good parts source for parts of this type iswww.robotmarketplace.com/store.html

FF
Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 AM
RodgerB

Actualy if that is all you need it for just build up the hull and running gear, that would also keep the profile low for above ceiling work. Buy a Tamiya and use the plastic tracks that come with it to prevent any chance of shorting any exiting wiring. Grab a Gear Down from ETO Armor and it should work fine for what you want to do?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:40 AM
ForlornFoundry

Here are some robots that may work for you.

www.robotshop.ca/summerour-traxster-robot-kit-1.html

www.robotshop.ca/dagu-wild-thumper-6wd-all-terrain-chassis-aluminum-75-1-2.html

FF

Old 01-15-2011, 07:01 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

And don't forget to put lots of ballast in the tank lower hull for added tractive effort.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tank you seem to be looking for is the Heng Long Stug III. It is inexpensive, has a low center of gragity, has low overall height and is light and strong. Keep the tank light weight so it will climb easily and not mash down insulation too much. The lights on the front should help you guide it thru dark spots.

Good luck, Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13218.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1547996  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use an M-41 hull without the turret, which would give you a lower silhouette and the M-41 has more ground clearance than most others. The Pz III is small and as with the M-41 suggestion, remove the turret....you could install a mini cam on the lower turret section to give you "eyes on target".
Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the last 2 suggestions from PC and the commander would work the best, and like sevo said add some "ballast " to give more traction. the camera is also a very good idea. The PzIII hull and suspention are very good. The Pershing is a little wider I think but is also a very good suspension. And yes , plastic tracks are a must for safety reasons. Go for , short , narrow and ground clearance, probably in that order.