Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL bulldog more speed wanted, help?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL bulldog more speed wanted, help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL bulldog more speed wanted, help?

hey guys, just wondering what my options would be for getting more speed out of my walker bulldog. i know its unrealistic to make it faster, but id like to do it just for fun. is there any mods that could be done with the stock setup? and what after market upgrades would give it a real kick in the pants? if i could get twice the speed it has now i would be happy with that.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: HL bulldog more speed wanted, help?

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

hey guys, just wondering what my options would be for getting more speed out of my walker bulldog. i know its unrealistic to make it faster, but id like to do it just for fun. is there any mods that could be done with the stock setup? and what after market upgrades would give it a real kick in the pants? if i could get twice the speed it has now i would be happy with that.
Phil at RCtankwars.com get his max 400 motors it will get faster.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Green Amphibian

You can also change the pinion gear on the motor, but you will also have to alter the motor mounting points to get the right mesh of the gears.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Green Amphibian is correct. All you need to do too the gear boxes is file slots for the motor hub and screw holes, then you can install a 12 or 13 tooth pinion gear. That will speed things up. It is also very easy too add the new motors like shenlonco said. Those are some very good motors.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 PM
diabolic-mind

how many teeth do the stock pinion gears have? and with the 400 motors is there anything else needed to run them? i already have a fan mounted to the multi control unit
Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try the 400 motors first and see if you are happy with the speed. they are direct replacements. If it still isn't enough add a 12 tooth pinion and try it. You will need to move the motors away from the first gear in order to fit the larger pinion, but it's not hard to do...a dremel works well for this.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that you'll lose some tractive effort by increasing speed with different pinions. Our BullDog has Graupner Speed400s and is still not as fast in scale speed as a real Walker. Was thinking of 480s but that would require different electronics which we're not willing to do in interests of economy; keeping all the tanks the same.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In terms of realism, the real Bulldog did run almost twice as fast it does with a stock setup (scale speeds). However, remember that the faster you make, the less realism you get when you consider the jerky or lightening-fast starts from a stop. That said, Ihave 480 motors on my RCC steel gear boxes. I didn't need to do any adjustments to the positioning to get a 12-tooth pinion in there. It does go faster, but still not scale speed. I would probably need to put a 14-tooth pinion on there to get to scale road speeds. That would require adjusting the motor positions to get everything to line up correctly.

Oh, I'm also using a fan-cooled RX-18. Swathy is right about the traction piece, especially if you're using plastic tracks. If you're using the metal ones, you can create the rubber pads to get some of the traction back, but it will still be a consideration. Adding weight to the front end (16 oz in my case) will also help.

Personally, I'm going to replace the stock gears with a set of RCC's steel 3:1 boxes that I got before he closed shop. Even with a 14-tooth pinion I won't get scale speeds, but I should get better control at the lower speeds for finer adjustments or slower turning.

Note: there are pinions with more than 14 teeth that will work. But, they require even more extreme repositioning of the motors on the gearboxes. There would probably be a point at which you just can't move the motors any further from the 1st gear because there's no room in the tank.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM
diabolic-mind

im not too concerned with keeping it scale. from what i hear the tank itself is unproportionate in size and scale to a scale replica. i just want some more speed for mine because 90% of where i drive it is flat wide open area so some extra speed will make it a bit more exciting to drive on the flat areas. any suggestions for how to give the stock tracks a bit more traction?

also just for the sake of knowing, my tank is bone stock, i dont have metal trachs or upgraded gearboxes, its a bone stock smoke and sound bulldog with the exception that all my electronics are mounted in the turret
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IC2000 glue on plastic tracks gives a slightly more rubberized pad. 480 motors with higher pinions will do the job for speed. However, without the weight and extra traction of metal tracks, you'll quickly outpace your traction that you'll get from bigger motors and pinions.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the rctankwars Max 400 motors in mine and it did very good in our NEAD snow battle I feel it was the best running tank in the snow that day... everyone liked how it ran.