Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tank collection and a question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tank collection and a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
roots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank collection and a question

These tanks are all Tamiyas.

I have a HL Tiger 1 and would like better speed control. The unit I have now only seems to have two speeds (fast and faster). Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
diabolic-mind

Default RE: Tank collection and a question

if its two speeds then i think that means its a rx13. the rx18 board for the HL tanks will give you 10 speeds. and for more scale speed alot of member get the 3:1 gearboxes. i myself run my walker bulldog stock and kinda like the speed it has.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
roots

Does Rx18 just solder into place or do I need any other components to make the switch?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
diabolic-mind

im not entirely sure, im sure someone here could tell you. i think i read that it connects to the existing reciever, but i could be wrong
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
BiggTony

If you only have 2 speeds, then it's safe to assume you have the non-smoke and sound version. To convert this, you would have to purchase the RX-18 (it's variable speed/10 speed) along with a newreceiverand transmitter. There is a kit you can purchase at Matomart. Look under Matomart.com/RC tank Accessories/HL Parts/Infrared Upgrade. Although, infrared kit isn't what your after...you can simply purchase the parts ala carte.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easy way to tell what tank you have is to look at the radio transmitter.If down on the bottom right corner there is a selector switch ( marked A-B-C- ) it is a NON-S&S model.The Smoke & Sound Model radio will have a crystal in the place where the selector switch is.It will most of the time show what chanel number it is by the attached label.

Also on the NON-S&S Radio you will not be able to move the trim selector slides as the are glued in place and will not move.

P.S...........To up-grade a NON smoke and sound tank to a SMOKE & SOUND tank will cost you as much as you will pay to buy a S&S tank.(mabe $10.00 dollars difference when you include the shipping to get the parts)In dollars and cents it don't make sense to do that.But if you don't mind spending the money on doing it,it is fairly easy to do although there will still be a few things in the up-grade kits that will not be supplied.

For what it's worth...

BIGMIG
Old 02-17-2011, 02:55 PM
roots

I should have mentioned that my tank does not have the sound or smoke functions and at this time I'm not really interested in them.

The Rx18 seems to be the way to go and they seem to be readily available. I'm just wondering if I will need to buy a bunch of special connectors to hook it up. Has anyone actually converted a base model tank like mine to the Rx18?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:16 PM
diabolic-mind

like BIGMIG said, for the cost of the parts to upgrade it to the rx18, you could put a few bucks more with it and have another tank. im not sure how that works exactly. the HL tanks kinda amaze me with the retail price of a new tank, then if you look at the individual components and bought them all seperately you would end up spending three times more. id suggest seeing if anyone here on the forums can sell you a radio, rx18, and reciever cheaper. otherwise your paying the cost of a complete tank for just the three things
Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a tutorial on the RCCOMMAND website that outlines how to upgrade to the 18 and what is needed. You can skip the second part as it pertains to adding the IR stuff that I believe you are not interested in.
A bit of caution, do not order from them as they are out of business now from what I gather.

Perry

http://www.rccommand.com/guides/upgrade.php
Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
BIGMIG

Well i have to say i have not bought a tank for over a year and a half or more.Don't even own a tank with the latest boards that come in the newer models now.But the problem I think you will have is your NON-S&S radio.................I don't think there is any way you could use that board with your radio.(at least no easy way to use it,,,,,if it could even be done ).

I never cared much for the smoke part of the tank (most of the smoker units in my tanks have never been used).The sound is kind of neat in some ways,and when you demo those to friends they allways think the sound is pretty cool.

But the most important part of all is the difference in the operation and control of the tank in the S&S model over the NON-S&S model.That is where the big pay-off is in spending the 10 to 15 dollars more for the S&S model.

My first 2 tanks i bought were the NON S&S models and i spent the money to up-grade them.I learned a few things here the hard way
"after the fact" and now try to help other's with lessons I learned along the way.

BIGMIG
Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil sells the upgrade set for the RX18 and it comes complete with the radio and everything else you need.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
roots

Wow, great advice. It sounds like you guys know your stuff.
I can get the rx18 and receiver board for about $30 canadian.
To me that sounds reasonable for a better speed control.
But then I'm fresh from the world of racing where speed controls can be big $$

Maybe I should just put it back together and sell it, then put the money toward a Tamiya Tiger.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Captain Action

Or you can buy a new HL Tiger and keep the old one for racing...

Hay Roots that first KT looks familiar, are you in Newmarket ??
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 PM
BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: roots

These tanks are all Tamiyas.

I have a HL Tiger 1 and would like better speed control. The unit I have now only seems to have two speeds (fast and faster). Can someone point me in the right direction?

For the new guys who have a look here on the forum I like to point this out.If you are on a budget and don't just have dollar bills falling out of your pockets and you are a good shopper it is possible to have a bunch of tanks for the cost of the four pictured.This is what I collected so far since I have been here on the forum.I would bet the four tanks you posted in the picture cost as much or more than what i have in the following pictures.

BIGMIG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11090.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1565757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny28247.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1565758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kj81747.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1565759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45610.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1565760  
Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Like Tony stated Mato sells a kit for around $55.00, that will include all you need the rx-18, receiver, transmitter, and all the cables necessary, (the transmitter that is sold with this kit is needed for the rx-18 board, the non smoke and sound transmitter won't work)
Nice tanks by the way.

Wade
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you got some good info on upgrading the HL Tiger...

Your Pershing and Sherman both have one set of tracks that are backwards.  Also, your Pershing looks like it was modeled after one of the Marine tanks used by the Fire Brigade (Naktong Bulge).  If so, it should still have its sand shields on the side.  Those tanks were brand new and fresh off the lot when they arrived in the ROK.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:59 AM
diabolic-mind

BIGMIG, where did you get the humvee with tracks? thats a sweet looking machine!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM
roots

My Pershing tank was a gift so the price was right on it and both of the King Tigersare second hand. But you're right BIGMG there is a lot of dollarstied up there (you should see my car/truck collection). I like building RC vehicles from kits and I'm a Tamiya guy so you won't be changing my mind about them. I guess you could say that I've tried a cheaper route but have not been satisfied with it.

philipat - I never even considered that the tracks would havea specific orientation,it looks like I got it right 50% of the time by accident. Thanks.
My instruction manual says to not put the sidefenders on if youintend to run the tank, which I do. Also the screws to put them on are insanely small and I'm sure I've lost most of them by now. It's too bad there isn't a quick release way of putting them on.

And thanks to Rebellion13, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Captain Action - I live near a town called Brockville

Steve