Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

GREAT Tank Extravaganza MORE New video added today 5-21-11

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

GREAT Tank Extravaganza MORE New video added today 5-21-11

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 AM
danlrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GREAT Tank Extravaganza MORE New video added today 5-21-11

Queen Parade?

I'm still smiling about the great time at Danville! Seeing the pics and vids, even though I was there I feel like I only saw a fraction of the action. And it struck me that a lot of tanks never even got on the field. Now that I have three tanks, with two that are probably more show than go and one still in the box that hopefully will be a battle peformer, I was thinking about a possible new event at Danville. How about doing a grand parade through the layout for the spectators? Get every tank out, battle tanks and shelf queens, in parade order and drive through the layout to give the spectators a good look. If you have more than one tank, you could probably drive #1 through, switch to #2 and join the end of the line and maybe get all your tanks through?
As they parade along, they could demo pivot turns, smoke, lights, engine revs, turrret action, etc etc.
With 100 tanks plus trucks, etc, at just 10 seconds per tank drive-by, the parade would last over 15 minutes!
I think it would be a spectacular sight for the visitors (and me too) to see that many tanks roll by in a slow parade.
Maybe this has already been donebefore - sorry if its a rehash idea.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Green Amphibian

I do not think it has been done before. Someone with more time there may shed more light on it though. Sounds like a great idea though.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Green Amphibian

I do not think it has been done before. Someone with more time there may shed more light on it though. Sounds like a great idea though.
Thanks for the input Dan & Herman. We used to do a parade of tanks but got away from it since it was not everyone's cup of tea. I still think that it is a good idea so the public learns more about what each tank looks like. We would never be able to get all the tanks on the field (mainly due to lake of radio frequencies) but a wide assortment would be nice. I look forward to seeing more RC vehicles on the field other than just the tanks. My girls love their Tamiya RC Kubelwagens and so do the kids in the audience. Perhaps we can do it in June or at the NEAD run November event during the Indoor Car Show which draws a really big crowd to the Museum.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Dana Lowell

For the first five years of Danville events, we held a "Pass in Review" parade on Saturday morning for the museum patrons. It was cool to see 30 different tanks crossing the bridges driving into town. And it was loud! You can see this parade on several of the early H*E*A*T videos on YouTube. Everyone had to remove their apples because you cool slow the parade down if you accidentally shot the tank in front of you! Besides, this was a photo opportunity for the visitors, so they looked cool without the apples. (Everyone had to remember to reboot their tanks after re-installing their apples to avoid "god mode" in the next battle).

The reason we stopped doing the it is because a 5 minute parade took 20 or 30 minutes out of the combat schedule. Everyone wanted more stick time! Especially the guys that only attend on Saturday and the guys that travel a long way. So it was cut in 2008. We may bring it back someday, but at the cost of one or two tank battles.

The time constraint was also the reason why my plan for a big group photo of all the tanks got shot down at the April Extravaganza. The guys voted to just get a photo of the tankers, without the tanks, so we could get more time on the battlefield. I would have loved to have the 35 guys standing in front of 100 tanks on the floor! I wanted to replace the old 2005 group photo, (which you can see as the background picture on the heatarmor video channel on YouTube). www.youtube.com/user/heatarmor

Maybe at the 2012 Extravaganza we can try again to line up all the tanks for a group photo...and maybe run the tank parade as well.
-Dana

Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 AM
danlrc

Not enough battle time??? It's time to lobby for an all-nighter!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

That wouldn't work, it would interfere with choir practice around the pool...[&o]
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ex_Pat_Tanker

That wouldn't work, it would interfere with choir practice around the pool...[&o]
MAn I am sorry I missed out on that!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 AM
danlrc

So Bob, where's the heck is thepost on "Another Reason to go to the Great Danville Tank Extravaganza 2012"? I'm not too anxious , am I?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:50 AM
EOT

I'm thinking I might try to make the car show one in November, the heck with waiting til spring. Now if the price of gas would come down I might even bring my 61 TBird down too.

Mike EOT
Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

The price of gas is steadily dropping in my area. Still, a 13 hour drive ... gesh.

- Jeff
Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: danlrc

So Bob, where's the heck is the post on ''Another Reason to go to the Great Danville Tank Extravaganza 2012''? I'm not too anxious , am I?
One if the best reasons is the one you are doing right now. Networking and chatting will all the new tank buddies you made at Danville. I can't wait til June.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81980.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1614370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16243.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1614371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17423.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1614372  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: YHR

ORIGINAL: Ex_Pat_Tanker

MAn I am sorry I missed out on that!!!!!!
IF you come to the June event we will actually be in the pool. Maybe we will give Hermans amphibs a try again.

Name:	Gd93971.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1614620  
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: EOT

I'm thinking I might try to make the car show one in November, the heck with waiting til spring[img][/img]. Now if the price of gas would come down I might even bring my 61 TBird down too.

Mike EOT
Michigan and Indiana are close to each other. Panther F & EOT could carpool. As for the car show, I'm hoping they will make a police vehicle class so I can enter my truck. I'd be a shoe-in for the longest distance driven award but they don't give a trophy for that. It is a neat show.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Panther F

The price of gas is steadily dropping in my area. Still, a 13 hour drive ... gesh.

- Jeff
Hi Jeff,

For our NEAD trip to Danville we split the fuels costs so it was the cheapest trip any of us have had to date. We also saved on three hotel rooms since we stayed in in the motorhome overnight Sunday night so we could all go tho the Aberdeen Proving Ground on Monday. While at the Extravaganza Wayne, Cody & Joe stayed at the Comfort Inn. Krista and I stayed at in the RV. In June I'll just be taking the Tahoe.

Name:	Rp42465.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1616318  
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 AM
thecommander

Hi Guys,

Just a freindly reminder that the next Danville battleweekend is this coming weekend. Doug Gasser and the AAF Tank Mus. will sponsor this one running Friday, June 10th thru the 12th at Danville. It is three days and two nights of IR tank battles at the best RC tank battlefield in the world. All are welcome to attend. If you have no IR tank I will loan you one to try out. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. This is a huge post and will cover almost anything you may need to know. You can also PM me here as well.

Bob, NEAD CO

Name:	Ki19781.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1620074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64747.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	1620075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36907.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	1620076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12437.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1620077  
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
thecommander

Hi Guys,

Just a reminder to those who have bookmarked this thread that the next Danville battleweekend is approaching this Labor Day weekend. All are invited to attend and please feel free to ask any questions. With 365 replies it is one of the most interactive posts on RCU tanks. Many people have contributed to this very large thread and some of your questions may be answered here. I hope this will serve as a great reference point for Danville attendees. Mark you calendars for Friday Sept 2nd thru the 4th, 2011 for three days and two nights of RC tank battles run by the HEAT guys.

All are welcome. Bob Held, NEAD CO
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Green Amphibian

There will be an outdoor tank battle day in  King NC this Saturday also. Might be a good time to brush up on your fighting skills! Free admission and a door prize or two also. I hope to get some pictures if anyone shows up. I will see you all at Danville in September anyway.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I could make it brother. I miss you guys!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
girltankette

Gas in Danville is now $3.299 and seems to be steadily going down - would love to see it under 3 bucks!

The Tank Museum is gearing up for the September battle event - field looks really good and is sitting very patiently waitingfor the battles to begin. Weather has been great the last few days - humidity is almost gone. Hopefully, battle weekend, the weather will be good for traveling and all around fun and it is a very good possibility that it will be warm enough for a dip in the pool.

Looking forward to having the battle field full of tanks and tankers

Karen/Girltankette
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi All,
Finally got some time to edit some more of the video I shot back in April / May at the indoor battlefield at the AAF tank museum in Danville. I still have Sunday's video to go andthe on tank video as well. Should have some of that by next week.
These links are for the battles I shot on Saturday that I didn't participate in. Sorry I'm so slow.
The link to the first clip is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP0NEYg0VOY
Here is the link to the second clip which has the tank recovery battle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEcjcuLENbQ
Hope you enjoy them. Looking forward to November is it too early to start promoting it?
Steve
Old 10-15-2011, 12:25 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Shark27

Hi All,
Finally got some time to edit some more of the video I shot back in April / May at the indoor battlefield at the AAF tank museum in Danville. I still have Sunday's video to go and the on tank video as well. Should have some of that by next week.
These links are for the battles I shot on Saturday that I didn't participate in. Sorry I'm so slow.
The link to the first clip is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP0NEYg0VOY
Here is the link to the second clip which has the tank recovery battle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEcjcuLENbQ
Hope you enjoy them. Looking forward to November is it too early to start promoting it?
Steve

HI Steve,

Thanks for posting and I hope to see you and many new tankers in Novmeber. I just made a post for the up-comong event (Nov. 4 thru the 6th). I hope you can make it up from Florida agian this fall. Here is a link to the post for the Novmeber battle weekend and indoor car show: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10766094/tm.htm

Bob, NEAD CO
Old 10-17-2011, 04:37 PM
thecommander

Hi Steve,

I got your PM. I look foreward to seeing you in November. I wish we could get more of the FLA tankers to come-up too. Danny Lo now has the sony webbie for his tank so more video will be coming soon.KHM
Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Bob,
That is great news the more guys shooting video,the more action that gets covered. I really like the tank perspective myself even though you can get motion sickness watching the videos from the top of the tank. I still have some on-tank video to upload. I guess I need to quit my job so I'll have more time for my hobbies. Now where is that lottery ticket I bought? Wrong numbers again D'oh.
PS I posted some pics and a You Tube link of a short clip in the other thread.
See you in Danville!
Steve

Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
thecommander

I know what you mean Steve but is shows all the battlefield details and you would be surprised how many holes there are to shoot thru in the trees. I look forwards to shooting more video in two weeks at Danville I think we have at least 30 guys coming. I may even try a video only tank just to watch and capture the action w/o all the noise from the tank driving.

Name:	Us55142.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1677205  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
thecommander

[b]

The date for the 2012 Tank Extravaganza is April 27th thru the 29th at the AAF Tank Museum in Danville Virginia.

Thank you to all who attended in 2011. Many of which came from Canada, California, Florida and New York.

PLEASE REMEMBER: Events of this caliber are disappearing fast or suffering drastic budget cut-backs. DO NOT MISS IT AGAIN FOR 2012. It may not be there for 2013. PLAN NOW!!!

Bob, Held, NEAD CO
[/b]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.