Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

GREAT Tank Extravaganza MORE New video added today 5-21-11

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

GREAT Tank Extravaganza MORE New video added today 5-21-11

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Chow_Hound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GREAT Tank Extravaganza MORE New video added today 5-21-11

Well, I'm learning that Ican make anything sound good IF i put the right spin on the wording.

MISSEDME! MISSEDME! I GOTYOUFIRST! NO, YOUDIDN"T! YES, IDID!

Thank goodness for visual and sight confimation.

This message has been brought to you by my local pharmacy and doctor who decided to up my meds a little.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ron,

I hope that the weather clears up and things change for you. If we go Rt 81 perhaps you could meet us enroute on Thurday evening or early Friday AM???

I'll PM you my phone numbers. Bob
Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 PM
thecommander

Hi Dan,
We always have at least one soldering iron there. I just fried mine and need to be another tomorrow. I'm sure the collective efforts of the group will be able to handle anything that the battlefield can throw at us.
Bob
Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM
thecommander

Hi YHR,

As long as the tools & exacto knives are not in your carry-on you should be fine to fly. IF you come up short we will bailyou out at the battlfield. We all chip in. We will all have enough tools to get thru just fine. Danville had some fine shopping and is very pretty in the spring. Roanoke is only and hour away and I sure yur family will have good time.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40106.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1598598  
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:45 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: manchu9inf

Bob,
thanks for posting the video, that is my GD Tiger A21 working with Brett. We worked together pretty well during that battle, I can't wait for this coming weekend!! And I will be bringing that Tiger too! I love the look of the steel wheels on it.
I hope to see as many of the ol' gang there as well as many new faces!

Will
It will be one hell of a weekend..... It is fantastic when everything falls in place and you work as a cohesive team. I like the random teams as long as the don't get too lop-sided. We will be trying some of your senarios and using some veterans as reserves. It will be fun for all.

Name:	Xv63298.jpg
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1598607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10887.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1598608  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: BBC_KT

Folding chair .... check
power strip ........ check
work boots ........ check (concrete really hurts my feet after battling all day and my work boots work like a charm).
extension cord check
anything else anyone can think of?

Wallet, CCs, cell, keys, tooth-brush, cameras, Tanks, TBU, TX, Chargers, crystals, glasses, tools, spare parts, clothes, medication, flashlight, etc....
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

So it's bring your own chair? Ok.

Some guys do... there are usually enought chairs there. We do not sit much since there is so much action. The musuem is very well equipped and treats us like gold.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:57 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: YHR

I'll sit on the floor as long as someone can help me up. My knees tend to seize up.
I"ll make a bet that the only time you sit is when you are eating lunch or dinner or when we are at the hotel for a BS session. .....LOL Bob
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Devildog0341Va

Well I will finish packing this week and I will throw in a few extra folding chairs incase someone needs one (Dan) lol

Old 04-25-2011, 02:11 AM
thecommander

Hey Jim,

So that your meds don't get out of kilter....I'll post a video of you killing me or someone else soon!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 AM
thecommander

Reason # 17 One word

Flamethrowers

Charlie Hobson is a very dedicated AAF Tank MUseum volunteer who is probably the greatest living authority on flamethrowers. He has a superb personal collection of vintage flamethrowers that must be seen to be appreciated. You can examine nad talk with him at the demo and preparation table. There are even bunkers and targets which are erradicated by the flamethrower teams. I don't care how many times you have watched Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan or played Call of Duty. These things must be experienced firsthand to be fully apreciate their immense power. To smell the fuel, the gunpowder, the oil... to feel the heat, endure the concusion of a blast and absorb the over-whelming sensory effects of these weapons is a very rare opportunity. If you have never heard the woosh, felt the radient heat, smelled the aroma or seen the huge black cloud the size of a house billowing up over your head...... well than you have not been to a real live fire flamethower demo. This is one of the few places to see one in the USA. Did I say one? Sorry! I meant two. Yes, we have had dueling or twin flamethrowers operated by Charlie or Doug and Daniel Gasser. When I first found a internet picture of the AAF Tank Mus. 6 years ago, it was a still photo of the flamethower in Charlies hands that earned my full and undivided attention. Shortly thereafter, I found pix of the indoor tank battlefield and I just knew I had to stop there on my next vacation. Since that fateful trip I have not missed a battleweekend or Extravaganza yet. Don't miss this one either.

Bob, NEAD CO

Check out these videos: This is the best one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTZV3HVYGYs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBYaV7lxN4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc4c2ZTzd_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5klu7ybO9vg

Name:	Qo39234.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1598741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18101.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1598742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12169.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1598743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75968.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1598744  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 AM
Devildog0341Va

I would not like to have been on the recieveing end of one of them flamethrowers.

Another reason to come is for noobs like me that gets to listen watch and learn Pickup on some tips tricks and apply them to our tanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Green Amphibian

It is not just us noobies that pick up tricks and learn things about our tanks. Everyone comes home with something they have learned or remembered.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Dana Lowell

REASON #18: TANKER TEAMWORK AND STRATAGY

One of the funnest things about the Danville event is gathering your platoon right before battle to discuss your team strategy.
The best way to survive on the field is to communicate with your wingman and keep your eyes open for "situational awareness".
These are WARGAMES after all, so it's a terrific rush to get into WWII frame of mind and really concentrate on saving your butt and fragging the enemy.
You learn from your mistakes and come back to fight again. And when it works out for you and your teammates, it's a rush!

Here is a good video that illustrates good teamwork and strategy. I made it 6 years ago, but much of the "chess game" aspect remains today.

youtu.be/DcBTMF8FLEk

Thanks, Dana
www.heatarmor.com

Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 AM
CustomRCmodels

This year started out very crazy for me , to much work and not enough play-time !
But finally I gone make it to this one !

No tanks this time , ( we gone have enough of them anyways ),
but I gone bring my trucks for the tank recovery actions !
( here a video from [link=http://www.youtube.com/customrcmodels#p/u/46/sNoNGp6KNNA]my very first tank transporter[/link]
and [link=http://www.youtube.com/customrcmodels#p/u/43/HgqiVQMzn3M]my first 6 WD tank transporter[/link] , both from 2003 ,
more newer stuff you can see on [link=http://www.youtube.com/customrcmodels#p/u]my YouTube channel[/link]
)

this tank-recovery action is a cool add-on to the various battle scenarios
since it allows for re-entering the battle-action after you have been killed .
( that gives you the option to re-enter the battle-action , instead of waiting for the next battle , till the “top-guns†and “ace’s†are done with finally killing each other )

Bob from [link=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/queenspanzergroup/]NEAD[/link] and the [link=http://heatarmor.com/joomla/]HEAT[/link] guys did a great job on promoting this event ,
looks like we gone have a large crowed , awesome !

I didn’t had the chance to read every reply in this thread , and maybe it has been already posted , but just in case , here are a few links you need to check out :

[link=http://www.customrcmodels.com/Events]My Events section[/link] ( just look for all the Danville events from the past years )

and I know Bob posted already several links to some of my videos ,
but here is the link to [link=http://www.youtube.com/customrcmodels#p/u]my YouTube channel[/link]
look for my Danville videos from 2010

looking forward to a great action packed weekend at the Danville Tank Museum

Willy
[link=http://www.customrcmodels.com]CustomRCmodels[/link]
[link=http://www.tankace.org/]ACE[/link]

Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
thecommander

Hi Dana,

Thanks very much for the input Dana. You hit the nail on the head. The realism of battle and the importance of teamwork is some of the best things about Danville. Our Battle Royale or "Last Man Standing" is one of the greatest examples. It is very hard to effectively fight a tank on your own. I finally won this event in March. It only took me 4 years. This is what the Russians and French learned all to late in WWII. The French were really bad. They had superior numbers and heavier tanks but lost to a smaller German force due to poor tactics and communication. They both had little or no effective communication betweens tanks. We plan our team battles but our verbal communications are heard by everyone. Team-members and enemy alike, can hear the instructions. Someday we may try radio communication. We'll see.

Dana and I share the belief that watchng these videos made by the both of us and from Willy, Steve and others, can give you added insight into how the field is laid out. This way you can learn in advance where the ambush points and key control spots are. What to avoid and where good cover can be found. Where to snipe from and where not to linger, lest you become cannon fodder. I swear there are huge rare earth magnets on the field since tanks seem drawn to specific locations time and time again. Never turn you back to the enemy. Practice driving in reverse. Make sure you battery is fully charged or your tank will run out of "fuel". Just like the real tanks. Make sure your TX is always on the charger. Check you tracks. idlers and pins, just like the real tanks (Right Pattoncommander, Bill???).

I'm sure at the end of the event you will leave a much better RC tanker than when you arrived.

Don't worry though.... that ear to ear smile will eventually subside.

Name:	Us55164.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1599040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58312.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1599041  
Old 04-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Green Amphibian

Who wants the smile to go away? Mine returns every time I think of going back up to Danville.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
thecommander

Hi Willy,

Thank you so much for your wonderful post. I have not seen some of those videos in a while so it was a treat to watch them again. You are a valued asset to this hobby and I'm very happy that you joined the NEAD tank group. BE FOREWARNED.... there will be a hazing ritual that will need to be performed on you at Danville at midnight Friday, under a full moon, facing the north star, while you are wearing your one-zee footed pajamas, atop the roof of the hotel while holding a beer in one hand, a pretzel in the other hand and balancing a bottle of Gentleman Jack on your head. At this time you will be beaten with TX antennas by your fellow NEAD members and dignitaries from the rest of the tank clubs while walking over a bed of red hot 7.2 Li-po batteries. I'm sure we will all have a fine time.

PS for those of you who have not had the pleasure of making Willy's aquaintance, here is a pic from last year when he came as a re-enactor.[:-]

Name:	Ki18096.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1599103  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

here will be a hazing ritual that will need to be performed on you at Danville at midnight Friday, under a full moon, facing the north star, while you are wearing your one-zee footed pajamas, atop the roof of the hotel while holding a beer in one hand, a pretzel in the other hand and balancing a bottle of Gentleman Jack on your head. At this time you will be beaten with TX antennas by your fellow NEAD members and dignitaries from the rest of the tank clubs while walking over a bed of red hot 7.2 Li-po batteries
If that's what you are doing to Willy, what manner of atrocity are you planning for us 'Danville Virgins'..? [X(][][&o]

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Green Amphibian

Virgins? Did someone say VIRGINS? Oh My, what is this world coming to with language like that!  LOL

Just wait and see. Buuhhhaaa, Buuhhhaaa!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Easy Tiger, not that kind of, erm, nevermind...

*Nothing to see here, move along...!*

Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Ex_Pat_Tanker

here will be a hazing ritual that will need to be performed on you at Danville at midnight Friday, under a full moon, facing the north star, while you are wearing your one-zee footed pajamas, atop the roof of the hotel while holding a beer in one hand, a pretzel in the other hand and balancing a bottle of Gentleman Jack on your head. At this time you will be beaten with TX antennas by your fellow NEAD members and dignitaries from the rest of the tank clubs while walking over a bed of red hot 7.2 Li-po batteries
If that's what you are doing to Willy, what manner of atrocity are you planning for us 'Danville Virgins'..? [X(][][&o]

I've fallen off the couch again..... I'm getting sore.

The coloquial term is "Rookie". We set the bar high for NEAD. Bob
Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, this thread is definitely going in a direction I didn't expect...LOL
I was hoping the veterans would be taking it easy on us rookies., especially me.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
CustomRCmodels

ORIGINAL: thecommander

Hi Willy,

Thank you so much for your wonderful post. I have not seen some of those videos in a while so it was a treat to watch them again. You are a valued asset to this hobby and I'm very happy that you joined the NEAD tank group. BE FOREWARNED.... there will be a hazing ritual that will need to be performed on you at Danville at midnight Friday, under a full moon, facing the north star, while you are wearing your one-zee footed pajamas, atop the roof of the hotel while holding a beer in one hand, a pretzel in the other hand and balancing a bottle of Gentleman Jack on your head. At this time you will be beaten with TX antennas by your fellow NEAD members and dignitaries from the rest of the tank clubs while walking over a bed of red hot 7.2 Li-po batteries. I'm sure we will all have a fine time.

PS for those of you who have not had the pleasure of making Willy's aquaintance, here is a pic from last year when he came as a re-enactor.[:-]
LM*AO !
Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
thecommander

We use a few methods to ease rookies into the IR battles.

We start the battle and only the rookies and intermediate tankers can battle for the first five minutes or so. This way they can get into a good defensive position and trade shots with the enemy on a more level playing-field.

We assign rookies to mentors who take them on as their wing-man for the battle. they work closely together as a fire team to keep the enemy veterans at bay.

The veterans are held in back until two of their teammates are knocked-out. Then the vets are sent in as reserve forces.

Here are a few hints:

*Learn to drive in reverse. I know I've said it many times already, but I can't over-emphasize this.
*DO NOT shoot your teammates in the back. Watch the friendly fire.
*Identify your target and potential targets beyond your shot. Make sure you are not in the crossfire and neither are your teamates. It happens every battle.
*Count the time until your next shot is ready and coordinate with your team. If you do it effectively you can lay down a field of fire at a rate of one shot every 3 seconds or so and pin down your enemy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.