Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Controller with 2 Self Center Sticks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Controller with 2 Self Center Sticks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Controller with 2 Self Center Sticks

Anyone know who and what models are on the market that have 2 self centered sticks similar to the specifications of the Spectrum DX6i?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Controller with 2 Self Center Sticks

I've got alot of experience with Spektrums, they're all I use. FYI, you just need a cam and a spring to self center the left stick (which is mandatory on my radios as non-self center sticks are unsafe on ground models IMHO). Nobody sells them that I'm aware of...certainly not Horizon Hobby (I've asked).

I haven't found any other manufacturers who make and sell comparable cams. I'm still looking though. It is likely JR has something that will work since they make Spektrums.

If you want to go cheap, I've made several out of .80 styrene and some surplus springs (Home Depot has a nice "spring assortment" box for a few bucks). To make one, simply remove a working cam, place it on a sheet of styrene, spray some primer over it, and presto...you've got a perfect template. Just cut it out and install.

I've also scrapped out DX5e's just for the cams (which are identical to the DX6is). A hobby shop we go to in Phoenix sells used junk Spektrums (and alot of other radios), and they usually have a few DX5s in the heap for around $5-$15 bucks each. We buy them just to harvest the cams.

Of course, when you order a new radio from Horizon, they'll install the self center cam on the left stick for free if you ask them. (not available on a DX5e; however).

Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 AM
bubbajoexx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you order a new spektrum radio you can order it with self centering sticks this service is for new orders only they will not provide the parts with futaba you can order the parts to convert to centering sticks
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Pershing.Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can take a rubber band loop it over the stick pass it around the radio and hook the other end on the stick - poof instant self centering

Saw NCCommander do this for someone at Danville last weekend worked well.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeff489

I've got alot of experience with Spektrums, they're all I use. FYI, you just need a cam and a spring to self center the left stick (which is mandatory on my radios as non-self center sticks are unsafe on ground models IMHO). Nobody sells them that I'm aware of...certainly not Horizon Hobby (I've asked).

I haven't found any other manufacturers who make and sell comparable cams. I'm still looking though. It is likely JR has something that will work since they make Spektrums.

If you want to go cheap, I've made several out of .80 styrene and some surplus springs (Home Depot has a nice ''spring assortment'' box for a few bucks). To make one, simply remove a working cam, place it on a sheet of styrene, spray some primer over it, and presto...you've got a perfect template. Just cut it out and install.

I've also scrapped out DX5e's just for the cams (which are identical to the DX6is). A hobby shop we go to in Phoenix sells used junk Spektrums (and alot of other radios), and they usually have a few DX5s in the heap for around $5-$15 bucks each. We buy them just to harvest the cams.

Of course, when you order a new radio from Horizon, they'll install the self center cam on the left stick for free if you ask them. (not available on a DX5e; however).

I did a similar thing to a FS 6 channel radio. I made the cam out of plexiglass instead, a body clip (to make the hinge), and a piece of scrap delrin rod to make the spring mount. Think it took 30 mins to make, but its the cheapest 6-channel radio you can make though .
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
dlobmwm3

I found the Airtronics RDS8000 Crawler version. Good brand? This controller seems to do the job, plus its 8 channels.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 of the Airtronics RDS8000 crawlers, I use them with my ElMod tanks and they work great.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Buckeye36

Repeat post.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:52 AM
dlobmwm3

Thanks Buckeye. Were you at the Extravaganza? If so, I wish I would have seen your controller.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Buckeye36

I was there with my daughter, had to leave around noon on Sunday.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

If you have a Spektrum DX5e you can make it self centering real easy with a couple screws and 2 to 3 springs I used springs from a old HL none s and s Tx back in 2009 here is the link .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87...tm.htm#8719738

Jimmy
Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Buckeye36

Phil had his DX5e moded that way, worked great for him.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

yes Phil liked the way I did it two years ago still works the same after two years .

Jimmy