Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Off topic - rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Off topic - rant

I am certain when this post is read by the membership many will frown or worse. But this nit just bugs me!
I have no doubt that I'm the only one so annoyed by this....

Why is the apostrophe so misused? What did it ever do you you?

" I own 5 Tamiya tank's "

" The Heng Long's are swell "

The usage of an apostrophe in the examples above is not correct. In proper usage the apostrophe is to denote possession as in Luke's
light saber or in a contraction such as she's - short for she is.

Remember, tanks are swell but tank's aren't unless they own you! ( which in many of our cases is true!)

Now back to my shop.....

Jerry
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Off topic - rant

ORIGINAL: Tanque

The usage of an apostrophe in the examples above is not correct.
Don't you mean "The usage of apostrophes in the examples above are not correct."

Just kidding. For me it is the misuse of "to" instead of "too". Every time I see 'me to' I cringe.

Perry

Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Triton-50

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys

I'm afraid have to concur! Even though English isn't my first language!...... I'm a Scot!.... Or Scottish! .... Not Scotch! Lmao!

Cheers

Stu
Old 08-31-2012, 03:56 AM
Elefant

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe its because Im french but I didnt really understand Jerrys topic...
Old 08-31-2012, 04:45 AM
ausf

I agree Jerry.

Obvious typos aside, if the only way I can relate to someone is through their written word (or threw there words) and the spelling, punctuation and grammar wouldn't be acceptable to a fourth grade teacher, it's colors my perception. That may sound harsh or snobbish, but it's true.

I understand that won't be a popular opinion.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are Authors and there are Editors. There is a reason we have both.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me to guys, I alway's get annoyed by this stuff.

Kinda hard to take someone seriously when they write terrible eh?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Many spelling and punctuation errors could be easily corrected if people would proof read their text before posting.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yepper,  I checked - no spell checker's in post window.

Blame the school system, they don't even teach cursive writing anymore.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

yepper, I checked - no spell checker's in post window.
Blame the school system, they don't even teach cursive writing anymore.

Oh, there's spell checking, just depends on what server you're using. I'm not the spell police but it can get annoying deciphering the words here. Especially when there is no capitalization... that's when I just move on.

If you cannot represent yourself in how you speak or type, you then have nothing to say.

Have a great weekend everyone! I have the alarm set, guard dogs off their chains and I'm outta here!

~ Jeff
Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Tanque

I certainly understand syntax challenges of those for whom American English (and all its odd rules) is not their primary language but
there's no excuse for native speakers. Grammar was never my strong suit while in school being a science and mathematics sort of fellow
however I've long since recognized the importance of the written and spoken word. I make my share of mistakes but it isn't for lack of
trying....

Poor grammar and syntax foster a perception all their own and it isn't very complimentary.

Jerry
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Rex Ross

Everyone on this forum admires and appreciates well constructed, accurate, and properly functioning model tanks.

Why can't those same expectations apply to grammar, punctuation and spelling on this forum as well?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I must admit that some of the posts here would have driven my 7th grade English teacher nuts.  

She really drove home the idea that people will judge me by how I write.  I wish to sound intelligent, so I try to write that way.   
Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 AM
blitzkrieg65

Moderator Please remove this Way off Topic Post

I agree with some, not all that was written here, but we have a hard enough time getting guys/gals to
participate in posting their builds or comments, without the grammar police now scrutinizing everyone’s writing.
What about the disabled, what about the unfortunate? I have no excuse, as I grew up in a decent middle class home, and I am still terrible with grammar. Heck, my memory was refreshed by the few things that were pointed out as annoyances. I don’t think we should discourage guys/gals from writing or sharing even if they cannot spell, it’s a hobby right, and we just don’t have the ability to judge who is who, let them all come.

Phil
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Wat arr u takin bout? My Amercin is good nof. I hav ben studyin on it fo evea and yo kin kuot me on "it"!!!

Wow!! I must have been channeling a character from the movie,"Oh Brother Where Art Thou!" or was it "Deliverance"? Banjo sounds fading......

I hope this didn't offend anyone. I was unable to resist poking fun. I agree that we all should try for a higher standard, but I am not sure it is going to end the world if one is not absolutely precise and correct in every way while writing and speaking the English language?

I was trying for that Mr. Howell speaking to Lovey kind of voice just now. You know Gilligan's Island Thurston Howell III ?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Perry S.

Maybe spelling is not all it's cracked up to be. It's amazing how complex the human mind is and it's ability to decipher text to convey meanings. The excerpt below is from a recent study. In a nutshell it shows that what's important is the first and last letter of a word. The letters in between can be jumbled. See if you can quickly read through this. I was amazed that I could make it throughat about 3/4 reading speed.

if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Perry

Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM
YHR

Phil

You nailed it, and yes I am the worst offender on the board.. I never use a spell checker and my fingers can't keep up with my mind. What shows up in text even amazes me some time. I'll read my own musing a few days later and wonder about my own intelligence level.

Lighten up people, nobody is getting paid around here to contribute. We do it because we think we are helping people enjoy the hobby and a lot of times this stuff is banged off in a couple of minutes on the way to bed,

Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

ANOTHER ANNOYANCE IS RUN-ON SENTENCES AS WELL AS LACK OF ANY PUNCTUATION AND FRUGAL USE OF THESPACEBAR OH AND WRITING INALLCAPS

Just proofreading would help immensely, but most folks at our age (40+) are too set in their ways. 

Reminds me of one club member whose e-mails and attachments sometimes contain viruses and spyware. His excuse is that Windows updates are all he needs, thus no AV protection.  He knows better, has been told many times, has the $, but is very stubborn. I just don't understand such behavior, ignorance combined with arrogance.... Thank gosh for the Junk file. 
Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

Maybe spelling is not all it's cracked up to be. It's amazing how complex the human mind is and it's ability to decipher text to convey meanings. The excerpt below is from a recent study. In a nutshell it shows that what's important is the first and last letter of a word. The letters in between can be jumbled. See if you can quickly read through this. I was amazed that I could make it through at about 3/4 reading speed.

if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Perry

LOL That is the argument I use with my wife and kids who are grammar Nazis. All that is important is content. The rest is window dressing. I can tell you on my Blackberry I come no where close to using the King's language To damn slow and inefficient.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Pah co chu puk

Shows how slow it is, that we are talking (writing) about this so much, that this is the 4th most active thread in all of RC Universe.  We need to build something...

It is also a bummer that this thread has very low potential for cool tank pictures.  I always like the pictures.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

Shows how slow it is, that we are talking (writing) about this so much, that this is the 4th most active thread in all of RC Universe. We need to build something...

It is also a bummer that this thread has very low potential for cool tank pictures. I always like the pictures.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm building as fast as I can!!!! In the mean time, can you correctly write the name of this vehicle?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80869.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1797041  
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Shows how slow it is, that we are talking (writing) about this so much, thatthis is the 4thmost active thread in all of RC Universe. We need to build something...

It is also a bummer that this thread has very low potential for cool tank pictures. I always like the pictures.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking the same thing when I read your reply. I agree that it's always nice to try to write as clearly as possible, but not everyone is up to the task, for whatever reason. I can tell you one thing, I have no time to type noew. I just got some new toys in the mail and it is high time I get to work.If you want pictures, please see other thread. LOL Good luck guys, and happy typing.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Pah co chu puk

[quote]ORIGINAL: Rex Ross

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm building as fast as I can!!!! In the mean time, can you correctly write the name of this vehicle?
I beleive that truck is named Fred.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Tanque

Annoying perhaps but this thread motivated many of you to pause and consider.

Mission accomplished!

Jerry
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM
CHIEFSONN

REX I believe it is called Waldschlepper wheeled tractor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.