Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Multiple crews for RC tank IR battling

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Multiple crews for RC tank IR battling

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
reyemmanuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple crews for RC tank IR battling

I'm not sure if this has been done before, but I was thinking of ways to involve onlookers/spectators as well as those without rc tanks during IR battles or exhibitions/gatherings. This may be a great way to generate interest in IR battling. Driver and gunner must be experienced tankers/owners of vehicles, whilst TC and loader can be relegated to anyone. This scenario only needs at least two tanks, one for each side.
The concept: 2 - 4 man tank crew here: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edi...t5RIZGxoc&ns=1
After having configured my wife's tank for dual control, and having tried it out, this seems quite fun. As she only likes to drive and wants to be directed, we had a blast getting the tank around the house moving into and out of firing positions. An I thought, how would this apply in the RC battlefield.
Requirements: 2 radios- each given to experienced tankers to function as driver and gunner respectively. 2 onlookers/spectators can participate and function as tank commander and loader respectively.
Roles: (at least driver and TC/gunner/loader are needed)
Driver-implements TC's directions, if no orders are given, have full control of the vehicle. TC overrides any current movements the driver is doing. Can't move around the battlefield and must remain seated at ground level. (Experienced tanker)
Gunner:implements TC's directions, if no orders are given, have full control of the gun. TC overrides any current targetting the gunner is doing. Can't move around the battlefield and must remain seated at ground level. (Experienced tanker)
Loader: Counts the number of seconds after the tank has fired (9, 6, 3 secs) and says "up" or "loaded" when tank is ready to fire. Allowed to view the battle field from a 3rd person perspective. (Could be a spectator/onlooker)
Tank commander: Directs driver and gunner. Allowed to view the battle field from a 3rd person perspective. (Experienced tanker or spectator/onlooker)

Let me know what you think.

cheers,
Rey
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM
hiramekisama

Default RE: Multiple crews for RC tank IR battling

Dear God, it shall be a disaster.

Four grown men. Four conflicting opinions. One tank.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds interesting & similar to what my sons & I would do while playing Red Orchestra.

Question would be where are you going to find enough people at your typical battle day to crew more than one or two tanks?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:39 PM
reyemmanuel

ORIGINAL: hiramekisama
Four grown men. Four conflicting opinions. One tank.
Hi hiramekisama, lol, make it 4 grown boys...
and yes, it'll be interesting to see. if all fails, blame it on the TC. hehehehe. We'll this is where the "tank commander" comes into play, to make a decision out of the opinions.

On the brighter side, there'll be limited F1 tank races, swing shots and tricks become quite impossible to pull off. Careful planning and teamwork becomes essential.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM
reyemmanuel

ORIGINAL: herrmill

Question would be where are you going to find enough people at your typical battle day to crew more than one or two tanks?
Hi herrmill,
at least two tanks are needed andat least two persons per tank. So, at least 4 persons must be in attendance. TC-Gunner-Loader can function as one and another for the Driver.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: hiramekisama

Dear God, it shall be a disaster.

Four grown men. Four conflicting opinions. One tank. [img][/img]

I agree! Sounds like someone just needs to get a REAL tank and have at it.

RC tanks are for one person! Learn it, live it, love it.

~ Jeff
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
FreakyDude

why would I share the duties of a tank? especially if i was stuck being a loader or something. the only good spot in this scenario is being the driver
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was done at Danville years ago in a sense. Not the 4 person per tank, but lower hull and turret on 2 different TX's. And as you'd think, it was hilarious to watch.
out of 6 or so teams of 2, only 2-3 teams could operate with any combat effectiveness. As for fan shots or anything else being nullified by this......not gonna happen.
Just as easy to do any of these with experienced drivers.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 PM
pattoncommander

Sounds interesting but a bit of overkill. Only need 2 per tank; TC and driver as the TC can override and operate turret controls. Loader in this case is redundant. The TC not only selects targets, directs and lays the gun, but tells the driver where to go and guide where needed and prevents bayonetting the birms and bushes with the long guns by traversing as the tank maneuvers. He also has the responsibility of evading enemy threats. A real TC is a very busy job.

Better would be a dual camera system on the tank; one for driver and one for TC/Gunner, with the operators having an extremely limited view of the field. ....this would eliminate peeking over hills, looking around corners and yelling at buddies about that enemy tank behind him....it would make the operation very much more realistic, giving the tank crew pretty much what a real tank crew experiences. This however, would require using tank tactics and team operation which would render most RC "Tankers" totally ineffective. More effective would be to have main gun IR beam function directly through the gun tube, requiring a more precise lay of the gun which would iliminate fan shots. As with any team effort, it would take a little training/practice but the results would be rewarding and much more realistic.

Japan has similar setups which seem to work quite well.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Great idea, Bill - follow the KISS principle & I'd think this would be something that would fit in well as part of any club event. Could be fun.

I can see everyone standing around with their display googles on in a Zero Dark Thirty kind of way.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 PM
reyemmanuel

thanks for the response guys.indeed 4 is overkill for regular multiple crew battles, but becomes handy when involving spectators. I'ved modified the title to reflect this.

Hi Panther F, I disagree that rc tanks are only for a single person as this is not the case for my KT. As my commander in chief only wants to drive, I had to set-up dual controls for this particular tank. She drives, I shoot. Makes funding tank projects easier to get approved.

Hi Freakudude, this becomes a personal choice whether or not one wants to share duties. I agree, the driver and TC are whats necessary. The three/four-man crew is only an idea to involve spectators. Regular batles can be one man or two-man crewed.

Hi TheBennyB, thats good to know! Equally interesting is what you've mentioned abouot "combat effectiveness" as this becomes key. It is however not good to know
that swing shot still was a go, perhaps put an less experienced tanker as the driver. Was there any record of this event, photos, videos or battle reports?-would be interesting to see!

Hi pattoncommander, yes I agree to a 2-man crew. Interesting to note from you having noted "require using tank tactics and team operation[/b]which would render most RC "Tankers" totally ineffective." Good to know this makes RC tank battling more rewarding and realistic. As it seems, once the novelty of lone ranger tanker fades, some tankers fall out of the hobby. I would say the panzerwarriors are at the pinnacle in FPV battling and quite hard to replicate. On the other hand, RC tank battling in Danville really represents the team oriented side of battles. I would love to see a competition battles based on multiple-crewed rc tanks. As for taking it further for FPV,a fat-shark may be in the pipes...

thanks guys for the inputs.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 PM
siam

Hello gentlemen,
Here ispanzerwarriors battlefield of which rc.tankers playing FPV IR Tank battle with 2-man crew concept.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70188.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1854191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76535.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1854192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83060.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1854193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11312.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1854194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68373.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1854195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh65842.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1854196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr25526.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1854197  
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 AM
siam

Notes:
1. Driver sits on the front seat driving tank seeing through the TV screen .
2. TG & Gunner is a same person controlling turret and gun seeing through the periscope.
3.  Loader is an redundant.
4. 2 camaras per 1 tank.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 AM
no12skyline

If I managed to get 4 people to crew one single tank, I'd rather have three other tanks to battle against than to worry about out-and-out realism. As Jeff had said, get a real tank if you want to do that.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Martellus

A setup like patton said could be a lot of fun, the fpv elements creating a realistic way of ambushing or hiding your tank without getting spotted from off sides, and the teamwork elements could lead to a lot of laughs. I think, since it restricts the amount of tanks on the field due to the dual camera cost and 2 people to run one tank, while I think fpv would be great for all tank battles, 2 person fpv would not be run all the time, as people inevitably want to run their own tanks that may not be setup, may want larger battles, or may simply want to run the tank themselves.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
pattoncommander

I had one with a 4 man(person) crew, but no one to fight with. [] I was the only one in town with his own tank so I had to take it on post and pick off Marine M-60s. They eventually got me but at a high cost, as my little tank killer was lots more agile and faster than the old M-60s.....even at 4 to one. Wouldn't dare go up against M-1's. [:@]

Duel control RC tanks could be confusing at first but a little practice would make it a good system. Not nearly as bad as having a 1;1 driver that won't follow directions to go where you want to take the tank for a firing position and a gunner who can't see the target even though you have laid the gun almost on it..[:'(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69251.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1854365  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 AM
siam

Hello sirs,
  If we go a bit deeper in details., the driver camera is at the driver hatch (my tank is T34 so it is just a good position really) and the gunner camera is on a turret in a same line with the barrel and this camera is on a pan&tilt mount.
   By the above set up, 2 men can coperately work .
Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 AM
siam

continue...
   TC observes the surrounding by paning and tilting his camera then direct his driver driving the tank.
And when he sees the enemy...he just aiming the gun and bang.