Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

VSTANK 2.4 GHz review

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM
kennywsp
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSTANK 2.4 GHz review

Just got the new VSTank 2.4 GHz Tiger 1 Early Production in grey. First there is no visible antenna on tank any more and remote has just a little bump on it .Binds to tank real easy just turn on radio then tank.

And you can run up to 16 2.4 GHz vstanks at same time. Note using VSTanks crystals you can get up to about 13 tanks running now i think on old radio system. Thats it folks not one other new thing on this example at least.

Still three speeds same sounds etc no volume adjustment on this one either

In my opinion if you are going to buy one just because of the"new 2.4 GHz " don't bother I like VSTanks and have all they make in WW2 and in multiples until i see something"new" or find it dirt cheap im done with giving them any more money.

first
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Cold Comfort
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: VSTANK 2.4 GHz review

Thanks Kennywsp,  I have been searching the net for a review of the new 2.4ghz tank and haven't had any luck.
Hard to believe they didn't include other up grades like porportional speed control and sound. Well this switches me to plan B, buy a clark board and give it a try. I think it would make these tanks awesome. Since VS seems to have stop putting out new tanks and I have all the WW2 tanks twice or more over I think I will spend my money on clark boards and then I will be able to combine my VS tanks with forces of valor tanks and they will all be able to battle each other.
  I was really looking forward to the Jagdtiger and sdkfz  222, but I don't think we will see anything else from them as its been over a year and a half since the have really said anything on their website.

Thanks again for the report.
Greg
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

I have 6 VSTanks I purchased direct from Toyeast back in 2007. Though currently only 4 are still fully functional, as one just stopped working & I haven't done anything to fix it, & the other one I dismembered for other projects.

So earlier last year I was very interested in keeping with that scale & purchasing new VSTanks to hopefully start a dedicated 1/24 scale RC tank club in my area. But after some emailing to VSTank, & finally receiving one response last year, I was disappointed with their vision of what was in store for the 1/24 VSP IR line of their tanks, so I decided to abandon that scale altogether & move up to the 1/16 scale which has a lot more options.

Below is some of the email, as well as what I had asked & was told by someone in May 2012, signing off on the response email as "Steve" ( supposedly the founder of Toyeast & VSTank ), who replied to about my 3rd email I sent asking questions about the intended direction of VSTank, his responses are in red.

1.) The most important current issue for large tank clubs is that there are only a dozen or so 27MHz range frequencies available for the VSTanks, only allowing possibly 12 tanks to run at any one time. A devoted RC tank club needs more than 12 tanks to be able to run at any one time.

Will Toy East be adding either 75MHz controllers which would add about 30 more frequencies for tanks to run, or 2.4GHz spread spectrum frequency controllers which would allow even more tanks than 30-40? If you will be doing this, can you tell me when (month?, year?) it will be done?

2012 this year > Guarantee we will have 2.4G (controllered by TX) and Bluetooth (controlled by iPhone) will be released.

2.) Improving the accuracy of the IR transmitter/receiver. Many times with the 6 tanks I own, a target tank will register a hit even though the attacking tank was aiming in a direction pointing 1-2 feet away from it. This happens in open areas inside & outside when battling. Realistically of course, you only want a tank to register a hit when the attacking tank’s barrel is actually pointing directly at another tank.

Has the IR accuracy been changed & improved in the newest tanks in any way from those that I purchased 5 years ago?

If the IR has not been changed, would Toy East consider trying to make it better, maybe by using an IR led emitter that has a more narrow sending beam angle that could improve to hit accuracy?

There is always a angle by IR emitter, there is always a balance needed to by made. If too accurate, children will lost patient or even claim tanks is out of order and return. So, if professional play like you, you can push the emitter inside the barrel a bit, so the angle will be more narrow

3.) Add realism to battles by adding a selective hit counter instead of every tank taking 6 hits to disable them. Like adding a selective hit range for light, medium, & heavy tanks, that a tank owner can switch on their tank, where a “light tank” setting would take 2 or 3 hits, a “medium tank” setting of 5 hits, & a “heavy tank” setting of 10 hits. Or even better, use a dipswitch located inside the battery box of each tank which has 1,2,3,4 switches that would allow setting each tank from 1-10 hits by changing the little dipswitches positions.

Is Toy East considering adding a selective hit counter, so RC tankers can select the number of hits it takes to disable their tank during each battle?

This can be achieved at upcoming wifi tank by iPhone 5 at 2013, all App controller sound, speed, hit number, life.....all can be calculated by iPhone but not a fixed MCU inside the tank.

4.) Better sounds for better realism. Each tank should have different sounds depending on which tank type it is, rather than all tanks having the same exact sounds. Adding engine idling sounds to all tanks so even when they are not moving they still sound as though they are turned on & working is also wanted.

Has Toy East given each tank their own unique sounds, or at least improved the sound quality on all tank models?
Do all or any of the tanks now have engine idling sounds as soon as they are turned on to remind us they are still working even when sitting still?

Same answer as #3, for your info, we have full set of sound on nearly every tank for 3 years, except T72 and Type 90 (If you can help to locate, that will be great, we can reward one free King Tiger as gift if you can help to locate this two real tank sound source).

Actually, VsTank start from 2002, and the 1/24 VSP start up and develop in sonic speed at 2003-2009. We released almost 10 models at this period. I think every company, business development speed vary time to time. At that time, we have a huge Russian customer invest the tooling on the Russian Tank Tooling (Each Tank talking about $40000 USD), so we can release so many tanks.

However, the development slowed down while our Russian customer has financial difficulties. Actually the world economy problem suffered for almost 5 years, and I believe need at least 5-10 years to recover. As a boss of this company, we foresee the sales of tanks will be affected and we cannot survive if we don't change. So in past two years, we invest some resource on other electronics products - iPhone accessories. But

We keep on the exhibition and meet Apple, Apple invite us to make iOS tank, so we got MFi license (Made for iPhone), and start from JAN, the new Bluetooth VsTank will be released very soon.

At 2012 this year

1. We will have Apple iOS controlled VSP (called VSB, B for Bluetooth) 1st Generation, this tank control distance is 2.5 times over am 27MHz

2. We will have VSI, also Micro RC Tank controlled by iPhone

3. We will launch 2.4GHz VSP

At next 5 years, we have a quite pioneer roadmap, especially by using Cloud and Wifi technology by mobile device, weuse screen on mobile, to show the hit reaction and showed up the life-count, vibration, explosion visual effect on the Mobile. This innovative idea functional sample will launch this year and sell at next year. And Wifi technology will bring even higher excitement by putting camera to the tank and show the battle at the 1st angle via the Mobile Screen, also can connect with other friends. Our target is two wifi-camera VsTank in your home, your friend can stay at home, connected via cloud and battle with you.

I can say that all of these VsTank has very pioneer strength to develop because Apple invite us, we are the only RC Tank manufacturer that Apple gave the MFi license. And we have knowledge and experience on connecting battle tank and mobile.

I had also sent several more follow-up emails with some more questions later in May & in June, but neither "Steve" nor anyone else ever responded again, so I decided it was time to just move on ... Some people may love the direction VSTank is taking their line according to what I had been told, however, since I'm not really into the wifi enabled or phone controlled tanks at this time, their focused direction wasn't where I wanted to go.

The 2.4GHz control was something I had been looking for, but still only allowing about 16 more tanks you say
kennywsp, seems like a waste. Since the regular radio controlled VSP line wasn't getting any better battling features added or upgraded like I had hoped, I also couldn't justify paying $80-$120+ for a 1/24 scale tank, then having to add another $70-$100 in Clark board & other upgrade parts just so they sound better & have much better IR battle functionality. I'd rather spend $300-$400 while buying & upgrading a new 1/16 scale tank that is a bit more "tank like", & has a lot more choices & upgrade options with it's much larger after-market parts selection.

The other blow to this scale of battling RC tanks, is that Unimax has apparently decided to abandon the 1/24 scale Forces of Valor line of tanks they were making.
One less company to introduce new tanks in this scale going forward, & one less competing company to drive the market & VSTank.

~ Craig ~

Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Nate159

I got the 2.4GHz King tiger and after 90 minutes the connection just stopped abruptly. I changed the batteries on everything and the transmitter just flashes and won't connect. :'(
Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 PM
kennywsp

Did you try restting the link? thats what the instructions say if it stops working to try.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Nate159

What do you mean by ressetting the link?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM
kennywsp

just repeat the binding procedure.turn on transmitter then connect button.blue light will flash. then turn on tank.light will stop flashing when connected
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Nate159

Oh I've been doing that for 16 hours now. Anyways what happened was that I was driving it on a cotton blanket and then I turned to the right at the 2nd speed and then it stopped instantly. My tank still makes sound its just that my transmitter won't find the reciever. Also my tank had like a 1/2 second delay between the inputs and outputs of my controller when it was working before.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:03 PM
kennywsp

.does it do anything at all?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Nate159

Nope, not at all. When I turn my tank on, it makes sound. My transmitter just continues to blink after I press the connect button. I've did the 3 steps thouroughly and it won't connect.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
kennywsp

how long have you had tank? can you do a exchange?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Nate159

It ran for 90 minutes X( . Luckily I've had it for only 26 hours.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:20 PM
kennywsp

how long have you had tank? can you do a exchange?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Nate159

You already asked me that. I have had it for 26 hours, it came yesterday.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM
kennywsp

hate to say it but i would send it back for a return or exchange.where did you buy it from?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Nate159

TowerHobbies, they're such an amazing company. Is there anything you could recomend besides sending it back? Like what do you think could be wrong with my tank?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:31 PM
kennywsp

thats where i buy mine from they are great(with returns too).I would call them monday and see if they can trouble shoot it over the phone. I would not want to open it up as that would void any warranty you would have from them.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Nate159

Ok thank you so much! You Only Live Twice Tiger II lol.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:09 AM
clarkmodel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting...and I just learned that, VStank stop producing these models

1.PZ754(A) Camo, Gray
2.KV-2(A), Show,
3.PZ753(IR) Gray.
4.KV-1B(IR) Green,
5.TIGER I (IR)"福" mark,
6.TYPE90(IR) Camo,
7.TIGER I(IR) Show Camo,
8.T72(IR)Green
9.L2A5(IR))Show, Camo.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Nate159

Wait, would Tower Hobbies accept a return under my circumstances?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 PM
kennywsp

They will ask you if you have ran it outside. if you say yes that voids any warranty. If you take it apart it also voids the warranty. But from what you describe it should be an easy return they will e-mail you a retrun usps label just make sure to return everything that was included with it aand pack it as good as they did for the return.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Nate159

Thank you.