Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya owners opinions please.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya owners opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tamiya owners opinions please.

After battling a few afternoons this week with the M4 and Tiger I, I find myself itching for another Tamiya. I've narrowed it down to three: Panther, Pz IV and Jagdpanther.

My favorite in appearance is the Jagd, but I vowed to get a turreted vehicle next (maybe it's time to learn how to drive). I love the Pz IV in a DAK scheme, but that won't work with a J (plenty of cool late war schemes with zim though). The Panther is full of possibilties.

Bottom line is, I'd be happy with any of them, so I'd like to hear owners experiences on how they perform, battle, how are the suspensions, etc. or just general impressions.

My Tiger and Sherman are 10 years old now, have literally had the crap knocked out of them in my kids hand's and just keep going. My next needs to live up to that example.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya owners opinions please.

All I know about the PIV is that it is a smaller tank compared to the Panther. Not too have them as they are a medium tank.

I'm about to wrap up a Panther build and felt it needed metal tracks to get that required track sag. Plus on the Panther you will have to address the barrel fitment problem with either Daryls sleeve or another mantlet.

A PE set whether it's just for the back deck or a full set would help with some detail it's lacking.

I do have a Jagdpanther yet to build but it's going to be the same with the tracks. The suspension build is fun as they both have a torsion set up.

HTH

~ Jeff
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd recommend the Panther. Bullet proof, no problems and a very strong runner OTB and a heavy. P4 is also excellent from what I hear but I don't have one. To the best of my knowledge the barrel problem has been resolved, if not it's and easy solution. Roomy inside, lots of upgrades depending on how you want to go and an all around excellent mechanical design.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 AM
ausf

Excellent input guys, thanks.

I'm no stranger to photo etch or mods, so I'm not concerned with small issues or soft detail (within reason of course on a $800 tank).

I am wondering about things like the longevity of the PzIV's leaf system and if the plastic tracks hold up. I still have the original tracks on the Tiger and M4 with no issues, but the thinness of the pz III/IV links might not last in ABS.

My Tiger needed some tweaking with turret weight once I removed the rear bin to counter the barrel and of course there are adjustments with elevation linkages, so I'm not concerned with the day in day out stuff as opposed to chronic issues of throwing tracks or crappy rotation.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Only problem I've ever heard of for the P4 is the PZIV0015 springs on sight are a must have. At full deflection the stock leaf springs can come out. The '0015 leaf springs are longer and stop this problem.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assisted on a PZ IV build and had a blast. The ATAK zim kit turns out pretty well if you don't have the time to do it by hand. The carbon fiber leaf spring mod is a cheap must, and Daryl's gearbox brace and elevation arm are recommended. Wheel bearings are a little work since you have to drill the bushing sockets a little deeper to fit the bearings. My buddies Pz IV is pretty lethal at Danville events and
is still a pretty unique AFV on the battlefield since not a lot of people have built them. He did a build thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10862917
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got all three and battle them.  All are very good battlers.  No mechanical issues to speak of.  They are rock solid. 

The springs on the Pz4 do pop out occasionally in rocky terrain...maybe once every 10 battledays or so.  If they do pop out...they are pretty much gone forever (as in lost) since they are usually painted the same color as the terrain (as in camouflage...).  As to performance, the PZ4 is a death machine on the battlefield.  It is pretty low profile, and doesn't get attention (for some reason I don't know) that a Sherman gets.  People tend to overlook it.  It's a great support tank (with a heavy out front as a meatshield).  It is difficult to service the battery.  Like the JS-2, it has little hinges that are actually concealed screws used to hold the hull top on to the lower hull.  They are impossible to remove without damaging the paint job.  I ended up installing an external on/off switch and charging port to make life better.  Works fabulous.

The Panther...well, let's just say it is my de facto favorite tank type of all the Tamiya tanks.  No upgrades needed.  Somehow, a Panther always jumps in my car for a battleday.

The JP is rock solid, and looks bad*ss.  Sexy too.  It's a real crowd pleaser.  In our tank clubs out West, it qualifies for Invulerable Front Armor (IFA) and is a formidable battler.  Like the Panther, no upgrades needed.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Ausf, I have a Tiger I as old as yours and it has been a great runner. Still has the stock TU/Gearboxes from Tamiya in it. I converted it to metal Kenny Kong tracks when they first came out and even with the stock Tamiya TU's it still runs well. That said, your trying to choose between the Panther and the Panzer IV J.

I have a Tamiya Panther G that I am working on along with a Stug and a Jagdpanzer IV. I move from one to the other, maybe I should just focus on one [&:], but the Panther has the most room on the inside and is laid out well, comes with a track tensioning system similar to the Tiger I. I added bearings to the wheels and picked up the Impact replacement mantlet to take care of the main gun barrel wobble. I also picked up a set of Impact tracks and drive sprockets as my kit was one of the early releases that had the issue with the drive sprockets not having the right width to engage the tracks correctly. This has been corrected and shouldn't be an issue if you get one new. The other after market item I picked up was the Impact photo-etch set for the Panther G. For the price, $65, it is the best value I have seen in a complete photo-etch set for a 1/16 scale tank. It has all the details you need, including the schurzen hangers and schurzen. The only thing it didn't have was the rear tool/storage boxes that are a big feature of the Panther A-G. It does include the latches and hinges for them though.

Like you I would be torn between the Panzer IV J and the Panther if the Panzer IV J had been available when I bought my Panther G. The Panzer IV was the very first model tank I built, so very long ago!!! It was a Monogram 1/32 scale Panzer IV H. Very cool model. So I have always had a soft spot for the Panzer IV.
In reality, based on price and the advent of the Clark boards, I will buy a HL Panzer IV F2 and convert it to a H or J. The price to do that and still be compatible with Tamiya's battle system will be maybe $350? so I am not sure I can get past the $800 plus for the Tamiya Panzer IV.

I would spend the $800 plus on the Tamiya Panther G.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Panther. You all know me as the allied guy but my captured Cuckoo is a solid runner and my first tank to loan out to new members who need a tank that will let them learn the trade. When the mood strikes, I run it myself and find a grin escapes.

DAK has several and they are all lethal and sexy at the same time. The Jagds are a good second choice and trust me, they both handle kids abuse well.

Untitled by edoubleaz, on Flickr

Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
thecommander

The Panther is my favorite battler. I have owned 4 of them. I looks neat and is VERY durable. My #1 Panther's original TUs lasted me 4 years of battle, largely due to good PM. It does well at any task I need it to perform.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24229.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1870761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59033.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1870762  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If you go with the Panther kit and find you need a barrel fitment problem resolved, PM me as I do have an IMPACT mantlet I didn't use and it's all yours.

I took the stock mantlet, added the DT sleeve and did some modifications to it as styrene sticks better to styrene than metal. You will need to lightly sand the inside of that with some 400 or 600 grit to smooth it out some as the casting is a bit rough.

~ Jeff
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Easy8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best solution is to build all 3 kits, the fun factor is the same between each model panzer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39536.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1870778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87677.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1870779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80824.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1870780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18141.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1870781  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
gorehound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have both the PAnther and Jadgpanther. My favourite on looks is the Jadg but they both perform equally well. Only thing I would say is that the Jagd is a nightmare in confined spaces with that barrel sticking out and in the heat of battle that may be a deciding factor.

cheers
Gorehound
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM
ausf

Thanks again guys, great info and photos.

The build thread on the 4 didn't load photos earlier, I see they're there now.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: ausf

Thanks again guys, great info and photos.

The build thread on the 4 didn't load photos earlier, I see they're there now.
Come ot the NEAD Battleday at Brett's in West Grove PA on the last Saturday of the month and you can try all of them there. Tony's Pzr IV will be there for sure....I warn you now, he is deadly with it.