Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hiding the IR emitter...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:30 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hiding the IR emitter...

...Pz IV version.

I started a new thread instead of putting it in the IV build thread in case some of the newer guys would like the info and to make searching easier. There has been a few IR question lately, hopefully this helps someone.

In case you didn't know, I find the obsessive need to hide the IR systems on my tanks to keep in line with the scale appearance. The Pz IV posed a slight challenge at first due to Tamiya's elevation pivot design. Originally I was planning on placing it in a tube next to the recoil bracket, facing out of the gunner's port, connected to the main gun pivot somehow. I cut the port open with this in mind since the first look over, the coax MG base is about the same size as the emitter LED (I using a 5mm). Plus, Tammy's design has you glueing everything together, making access near the MG impossible afterwards.

I was drilling out the MG tube for asthetics, planning on going about a half inch or so deep, then rethunk my original plan. If I notch the barrel pivot, I may have room for the LED. I drilled through, opened it up s bit from the backside and notched the plastic pivot almost down to the metal axle and everything fits. I drilled two holes for the LED leads, which holds in snuggly, checked the alignment, soldered wires and assembled to test. It works fine, hitting theTiger @ 30 feet (longest I can do indoors). If the aim is outside the Tiger's width, no hit. The beam is much narrower than club rules, probably a bit deeper too, but more fun in my opinion, regardless of the disadvantage.

Here's the photo:

A is the drilled barrel, head on, you can see the opened gunners port. B shows the LED in place (from the bottom, full up elevation) passing through the pivot, C if the side view, D the rear, wires with shrink tubes in place, the other end, a Tamiya compatible plug.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 AM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hiding the IR emitter...

kind of wonder, by concentrating the beam from such a small hole, how tight the pattern would be at say 20', 25',  30'
this might in fact be one of the things people should start doing to bring the challenge of the battle up.
i try to do the same with my IR equipment
Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

kind of wonder, by concentrating the beam from such a small hole, how tight the pattern would be at say 20', 25', 30'
this might in fact be one of the things people should start doing to bring the challenge of the battle up.
i try to do the same with my IR equipment

@ 30 feet, you have to be within the width of the Tiger's hull. It's the way I set up all my tanks. My shop is 30 feet end to end, every beam is narrowed to that requirement.

Except of course the Ketten, which has the skeleton crew that can't be killed, it fires unscrimmed out of the Panzerfaust.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Capitan America69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the same idea ...... I bought this from Tank modlbau to hide the IR led

my websitehttp://www.rctankir.com/

Best Regards

Capitan America

Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That machinegun/emitter holder set-up looks sweet. Just be careful of the IR dead-spot created by the gun barrel. On that Pzr IV it will be huge to the left of the gun barrel so keep the bad guys to the right of center.